Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
Nook Tablet's Screen Scratch Resistance

From talking to the B&N reps I understand that Nook Tablet does not have a Gorilla Glass screen. I want to get one for my wife as an upgrade for her original Nook, but I'm really concerned about the scratch resistance of the screen. All tablets I've owned recently have had Gorilla Glass, so I wanted to get some input from current owners - how is your screen?
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I see no reason to worry.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
This has nothing to do with the scratch resistance.
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
This has nothing to do with the scratch resistance.
You're welcome, by the way.

I have only had the tablet for about a month, but the screen is as new. Same for my nook color, which I have had for over a year.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My screen is fine, but I have every intention of buying some screen protectors (right now I'm just waiting to make sure my preferred protector doesn't go on some new year's sale the day after I buy it).

It probably doesn't need it. But I like to err on the side of caution, and probably would even if I did have gorilla glass. I live in a very dusty area and had a very unfortunate incident 10 years ago where a piece of dust stuck to the tip of my stylus, marring my otherwise pristine screen for life. Screen's are hardier now than back in those days, but why risk it?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I have a Color Nook (not the Tablet), but I can tell you that the Color's screen is much more usable with the B&N screen-protector over it. It gives it a slightly more matte finish and makes it much easier to glide you finger over it for various operations like pinching and swiping. Plus it cuts down a lot on the fingerprints.

I don't know anything about Gorilla Glass, but the B&N screen-protector is great, at least on the Color. (I don't use it on the Touch, by the way, since its screen is already perfect, IMHO).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
Caseen also good...

I purchased the Caseen Glareshatter screenguard for mine, and I would say my experience is similar to RAH's - I feel it improves readability. You sacrifice a tiny bit of clarity, but it really cuts back on screen reflections and has a nice smooth feel.

Bob
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Waynester
Waynester began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Tablet
I use the ZAGG screen protection sheets on all of my gadgets. Its space age product developed for NASA. It also comes with a warranty.
Waynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Wow! Cool drop test
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
that made me nervous LOL
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
that made me nervous LOL
Try this

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote