Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #16
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I have an iPad 1 and it does everything I ask of it.

I suspect that the iPad 2 was released mainly to keep a bit ahead of everyone else in the Tablet market. IPad 2 is a very good model indeed. However, it is essentially a souped up version of iPad 1 with a few extra additions. IMHO If you already have an iPad 1, personally I think it woud be better to wait until the third model comes out Evidently iPad3 will have a new OS and will be streets ahead of everything else on the market. {Some feel that it will be the first major step to eventually replacing the laptop.}

Last edited by fantasyfan; 08-27-2011 at 08:04 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks again

I bought an iPad 2 16Gb Wi-Fi this afternoon.

So far I'm quite disappointed:
- I'm not sure what the password for the Wi-Fi system is, and the iPad won't accept the the router's PIN
- I don't see an entries or options for iBooks or ebooks anywhere, and I can't work out how to transfer ebooks from my computer
- When I touch the games option all I get is an option to sign up to play on-line games. I wouldn't do this even if I could establish a Wi-Fi option.

Sunday tomorrow; I'll go into the Apple store on Monday.
The Apple Store won't be able to help you with your WiFi password - I'm afraid that's for you to sort out.

There are no reading apps re-installed - you have to install them from the AppStore. You can do it either on the iPad itself (once you get WiFi working) or via iTunes on your PC. Same goes for games, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
The games option is game centre. It's for adding friends, viewing leaderboards, checking achievements and inviting your friends to play a game. The games themselves you can get from the app store.

Don't judge the iPad too quickly, until you have wifi working and have checked out the apps on the app store. Out of the box it comes with very little. iBooks, kindle and other reading apps like bluefire are all on the app store.

As for your wifi problem, the pin on your router is likely the code needed when you try to use wps to connect new devices, usually you press a button on the router then have a few minutes to try to connect your device and enter the pin. I don't think the iPad supports setting up connections via that. You need the actual wifi network passphrase. How you get at that depends on the type of router you have. Type your model here and someone may be able to help.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Apple Store won't be able to help you with your WiFi password - I'm afraid that's for you to sort out.

There are no reading apps re-installed - you have to install them from the AppStore. You can do it either on the iPad itself (once you get WiFi working) or via iTunes on your PC. Same goes for games, too.
One thing about iBooks is that you are likely to be prompted to download the app when you first hook your device to iTunes so you don't have to go looking for it. Depending on where you live you may get a different language specific book I believe, which is why they do this instead of preloading it. The one book you don't get preloaded is the manual but the tiny instruction book tells you how to download it and ibooks can display it well in the PDF category. It is a 200 page manual and is a must read IMHO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
ipad 3.. I'd want the improved screen resolution..but, its a few months wait no doubt. If I had to get one now, I'd say it depends on what you want to do with it. If its a reader/surfing machine, 1 will do.. if your doing games and movies, get ipad 2..
I am sure the iPad 3 is not going to be delivered in this calender year. Is next year sometime only a few months away?

Dale
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
One thing about iBooks is that you are likely to be prompted to download the app when you first hook your device to iTunes so you don't have to go looking for it.
Dale
Yes-actually, as soon as you try to access the App Store on a new iPad, you should get a popup asking if you want to download iBooks.

I think the other reason they made it a standalone app and not system software is so they can update it independently.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
...I think the other reason they made it a standalone app and not system software is so they can update it independently.
Probably Apple with iPad/iBooks/iTunes wanted to avoid a fiasco like Windows/IE explorer. If they'd package their iBooks app into iOS, they'd probably run into similar legal issue - dominating the market and such...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Probably Apple with iPad/iBooks/iTunes wanted to avoid a fiasco like Windows/IE explorer. If they'd package their iBooks app into iOS, they'd probably run into similar legal issue - dominating the market and such...
Ah, right, that could be it as well. Although it is the only app they proactively push on you when you get your new iPad set up.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Ah, right, that could be it as well. Although it is the only app they proactively push on you when you get your new iPad set up.
You really need it to read the manual once you download it.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #25
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks again for the suggestions. I contacted the firm who set up the Wi-Fi, and they told me to use the PIN. I'll contact them again tomorrow and find out how to change the password so I can enter the new password into the iPad.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #26
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks again for all your help. Having been suitably chastened I found the Wi-Fi password where I had filed it away so I wouldn't lose it, have set up the Wi-Fi connection, and have downloaded iBooks.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:08 AM   #27
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
You really need it to read the manual once you download it.
What manual is that? Is there an iPad manual installed on iBooks by default? I've used the Safari link to the manual a couple of times but didn't think of looking for a PDF manual.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
What manual is that? Is there an iPad manual installed on iBooks by default? I've used the Safari link to the manual a couple of times but didn't think of looking for a PDF manual.
Unfortunately it is not downloaded by default when you download iBooks although my son (who works for Apple) has submitted a request for this change. You can download it http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...user_guide.pdf and view it in iBooks. The link is listed in the minuscule manual that comes with the device. It is 198 pages and contains lots of good stuff.

Dale
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Unfortunately it is not downloaded by default when you download iBooks although my son (who works for Apple) has submitted a request for this change. You can download it http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...user_guide.pdf and view it in iBooks. The link is listed in the minuscule manual that comes with the device. It is 198 pages and contains lots of good stuff.

Dale
Actually, they should just include it with the app instead of being an automatic download. Can't really download it through iBooks if you can't get wifi working.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Actually, they should just include it with the app instead of being an automatic download. Can't really download it through iBooks if you can't get wifi working.
While I can't defend the decision the Apple folks provide iBooks and manual as a download since the iPad ships worldwide and these things are language specific. You can download it to your PC and read the manual to help with Wi-Fi issues.

Dale