Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #46
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
Thanks for the detailed writeup, I think it may persuade me to get the DX in the next few hours.

One thing though about the non-industry standard format thing. An easy way to go around this is to think that Amazon *does* indeed use the industry standard format, while the rest do not. (Because Amazon prices are usually the cheapest and they have the widest selection of books.)
If the industry standard is the Amazon format, while everyone else uses ePUB, then I would consider Amazon to have a monopoly. (And only Major League Baseball and the USPS have rights in the US to a legal monopoly. )
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #47
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearindex View Post
Unfortunately I see it more as a sign of DX being end-of-lifed completely, so if someone really wants one, now is probably the time to act. Just a guess, of course.

As some have pointed out, there is also a genuine concern what will happen to basic e-ink Kindles overall, now that tablets and frontlights are all the rage.

Personally I hope regular e-ink option continues in some form. It is really a quite unique technology and Kindle has a great ecosystem for it.

For those abroad, if something is not shipping to you direct from Amazon, you could consider someone like Borderlinx as a forwarding service. It will cost extra, though, but it does work.
Agreed. I don't see a large e-ink screen reader being a viable product. I think they are just trying to move any remaining stock.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #48
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
My nice new DXG and amazon black leather cover arrived via courier yesterday. Only took 4 days which is pretty fast to Australia.

I really like the newer cover. It's a bit lighter than my older dxg cover. Instead of magnets it uses an elastic strap like my k3 keyboard.

It came with the latest firmware and already registered to my account so this could not be easier. Everything including the free 3g access (not restricted like the newer Kindles btw) work great.

Now I can leave one on my lounge room and another in my study. I feel sooo spoilt, lol!

These large e-book readers are probably not for everyone but I love them. Everyone should give them a go imho.

Cheers,
TomC
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #49
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
My nice new DXG and amazon black leather cover arrived via courier yesterday. Only took 4 days which is pretty fast to Australia.

I really like the newer cover. It's a bit lighter than my older dxg cover. Instead of magnets it uses an elastic strap like my k3 keyboard.

These large e-book readers are probably not for everyone but I love them. Everyone should give them a go imho.
I agree, I just bought my first Kindle DX and it is great! There is just that beautiful perfection of around the third Kindle generation, really a pure e-ink experience. I found some room for improvement in PDF reading usability and placement of some of the keys, but overall it is a really good reader and now a great price for what it is. Absolutely no screen issues too, good contrast and even the lower PPI resolution is perfectly okay.

My pictures and a more comprehensive review through here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...66#post2655882

I look forward to finding some uses for yet another Kindle!
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #50
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Quote:
I agree, I just bought my first Kindle DX and it is great! There is just that beautiful perfection of around the third Kindle generation, really a pure e-ink experience. I found some room for improvement in PDF reading usability and placement of some of the keys, but overall it is a really good reader and now a great price for what it is. Absolutely no screen issues too, good contrast and even the lower PPI resolution is perfectly okay.

My pictures and a more comprehensive review through here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...66#post2655882

I look forward to finding some uses for yet another Kindle!
Very nice review fearindex. Thanks for sharing this Mate!

As far as reading lights go, this is the best one I have ever used on my DXG;

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/ereaders...ght-dsau-s4182

The wide coverage and, most importantly, the rotary on/off dimmer switch gives you good, even light coverage. Also, the 3xaaa batteries seem to last forever. I read in the dark ~0.5-1 hr just about every evening and after ~2 months my batteries are still ok. Other, single or double led booklights I have used in the past seemed to go through batteries quite quickly. I'm not sure why this 6-light one is so much better but it might have something to do with the dimmer switch allowing you to use less total battery power.

Sorry for the ozzie link but this is where I got mine. You may be able to locally source one at a Radio Shack/Tandy shop. Maybe Ebay also but I have not seen any listed that unclude the dimmer variable switch (most only have on/off and maybe 2x power settings).

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by ThomasC; 10-15-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added booklight info
Old 10-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #51
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReader View Post
3) Remember, legally, if you purchase a Kindle, you can only read Kindle books on it. You can not read DRM books from other sources. If Amazon chooses to crack down on people who read Amazon books on other devices or non-Amazon books on Kindles, they have the legal authority to pull all books licenses from you. The probability is low. (But ask people about Direct TV.) However, given this constraint, if most of your reading is PDF, then the Kindle DX might be worth it.

I will be ordering a DX to evaluate it for the sole reason of reading PDF articles, but have no plans on purchasing books from Amazon because of their insistence of using non-industry standard format.
This is absurd! Where did you read that?

People can read, legally, any MOBI format type of books on their Kindles. There is not legal requirement or legal clause that blocks that.

What may not be legal, at least in USA, is removing DRM from books, as that's part of the contract you have when you download or buy from Amazon. But that also varies from country to country and it is not illegal in certain European countries, I believe.

Also, there is no "insistence" of Amazon on not using industry standard format. Amazon is just a normal company, like any other, who make profit from selling goods, ebooks on this case. But people can still buy a Kindle and upload DRM free books and read those using a Kindle. I do not see the point though, as Amazon is still the biggest store with the best prices, in most cases. I actually own and bought (legally) lot of IT related books that have no DRM protection on it and I use my Kindle as ereader device.

Last but not least, I would argue, at least un United States, that such claim of "non industry" standard is correct. Amazon is probably the major ebook seller here and I do not know of any other online retailer or company that can sell more ebooks than Amazon and they use ePub as default format. B&N tried, and their ebook business is pretty much dead at this point or with not a very promising future.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Kindle DX-g is now back to the regular price of $239.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #53
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Kindle DX-g is now back to the regular price of $239.
Don
Glad I bought mine for $50 less when I did. At least the cover is still on sale for only $9.99
Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #54
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
This is absurd! Where did you read that?

People can read, legally, any MOBI format type of books on their Kindles. There is not legal requirement or legal clause that blocks that.

What may not be legal, at least in USA, is removing DRM from books, as that's part of the contract you have when you download or buy from Amazon. But that also varies from country to country and it is not illegal in certain European countries, I believe.

Also, there is no "insistence" of Amazon on not using industry standard format. Amazon is just a normal company, like any other, who make profit from selling goods, ebooks on this case. But people can still buy a Kindle and upload DRM free books and read those using a Kindle. I do not see the point though, as Amazon is still the biggest store with the best prices, in most cases. I actually own and bought (legally) lot of IT related books that have no DRM protection on it and I use my Kindle as ereader device.

Last but not least, I would argue, at least un United States, that such claim of "non industry" standard is correct. Amazon is probably the major ebook seller here and I do not know of any other online retailer or company that can sell more ebooks than Amazon and they use ePub as default format. B&N tried, and their ebook business is pretty much dead at this point or with not a very promising future.
1) Name a major (heck even a minor) e-reader licence store that uses MOBI besides Amazon. Next name one of the popular Kindle readers that reads ePUB If you can, I will withdraw my statement.

2) However since I have seen no evidence that my statement is incorrect, this makes the MOBI format used by Amazon that no other major licence seller uses, Kobo, Sony, Google, etc., this makes the format proprietary and a non-industry standard. Having multiple sellers using similar formats is called competition. It allows the user to choose which reader best suits her or him and then which store she or he wishes to purchase a e-book licence.

All I am saying is that people should be aware that buying a Kindle virtually locks you into Amazon. And that purchasing from Amazon, for the vast majority of purchases, means you are required to purchase a Kindle if you wish to use an e-reader. (Of course some people can reader for hours on a back-lit screen, many can not.)

All of this is fine, but users should be aware of the options. Since they generally don't, it is no surprise the majority of the book licences sold are from Amazon.

But if we are going to talk about dying industries, the entire e-ink industry appears to be in trouble which is too bad given that tablets just suck as e-readers. In which case this entire discussion is pretty much moot. Sigh...
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReader View Post
1) Name a major (heck even a minor) e-reader licence store that uses MOBI besides Amazon. Next name one of the popular Kindle readers that reads ePUB If you can, I will withdraw my statement.
You made a very specific claim:

Quote:
legally, if you purchase a Kindle, you can only read Kindle books on it.
Which law do you believe imposes this restriction on Kindle owners? Be specific, please. Which law am I breaking if I buy a Mobi-format book from, from example, Baen Ebooks and read it on my Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #56
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Which law am I breaking if I buy a Mobi-format book from, from example, Baen Ebooks and read it on my Kindle?
I'd like to know too. Baen has made a pretty penny off me
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #57
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also license-free books from Project Gutenberg can be downloaded in .mobi:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

I have read several free classics on my Kindle, without converting them into anything. Kindle supports DRMed Kindle books and non-DRMed .mobi and PDF books. All these one can read in compliance Amazon's TOS and of course legally. And even format-conversion isn't breaking anyone's TOS usually in itself.

Now, breaking Amazon's TOS or that of some other book-seller is required to read DRMed non-Kindle books on Kindle, that is of course true. Depending on the country this may or may not break laws. Personally I haven't tried and the legality of this varies by region.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now, breaking Amazon's TOS or that of some other book-seller is required to read DRMed non-Kindle books on Kindle, that is of course true.
That's almost certainly true, as you say, but it's a completely different thing to saying that it's illegal to read non-Kindle books on a Kindle, as the earlier poster claimed.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #59
fearindex
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's almost certainly true, as you say, but it's a completely different thing to saying that it's illegal to read non-Kindle books on a Kindle, as the earlier poster claimed.
Obviously. I don't agree with SoCalReader's wording at all.

SoCalReader of course has a more general point, in general use cases Kindle readers are tied to Amazon's ecosystems, but worded it way too strictly both from a legal and a book-acquisition point of view:

- Breaking Kindle's TOS or even DRM is not necessarily illegal in your location. It is in some locations.

- While most e-book content is DRM protected, and there you are (under TOS) stuck with what Amazon offers, there is non-DRM PDF and .mobi content available that you can read as is on Kindle. Plus some e.g. ePub (and other type of document) content that you can legally convert to PDF or .mobi. Kindle even has an email document to device service.

So it certainly isn't true that "legally, if you purchase a Kindle, you can only read Kindle books on it", but of course as a broader point it is true with Kindle you are mostly (but not entirely by a long shot) tied to its ecosystem unless you break the TOS and perhaps break the law in your locale.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Obviously. I don't agree with SoCalReader's wording at all.

SoCalReader of course has a more general point, in general use cases Kindle readers are tied to Amazon's ecosystems, but worded it way too strictly both from a legal and a book-acquisition point of view:

- Breaking Kindle's TOS or even DRM is not necessarily illegal in your location. It is in some locations.

- While most e-book content is DRM protected, and there you are (under TOS) stuck with what Amazon offers, there is non-DRM PDF and .mobi content available that you can read as is on Kindle. Plus some e.g. ePub (and other type of document) content that you can legally convert to PDF or .mobi. Kindle even has an email document to device service.

So it certainly isn't true that "legally, if you purchase a Kindle, you can only read Kindle books on it", but of course as a broader point it is true with Kindle you are mostly (but not entirely by a long shot) tied to its ecosystem unless you break the TOS and perhaps break the law in your locale.
I agree with you to a certain extent, but I think it's important to point out (for the benefit of other people) that (to the best of my knowledge), there's no clause in Amazon's TOS which says that you can't read content not purchased from Amazon on a Kindle. As you say, there are numerous places other than Amazon from which Kindle-format books can be obtained. In addition to buying Mobi-format books from sites like Baen, personally I take advantage of special offers at other bookstores and buy numerous books in ePub format, which I then convert to Amazon's KF8 format using Calibre.

If you're comfortable using tools like Calibre (and it's not at all difficult to use), owning a Kindle doesn't tie you to Amazon's infrastructure at all. Of course, most people don't give a damn about that - they buy a Kindle, buy their books from the Kindle Store, and are perfectly happy doing so.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-23-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Tags
kindle dx 2