Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #46
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe they still support it in their DRM-free "multi-format" books, don't they? And Baen support it too, of course (but they don't use DRM at all, of course!).
Yes, there are several sites supporting DRM-free books in the IMP format. So you can still buy new books in this format. But near as I can tell and your proposed criteria for inclusion as a current device requires current DRM would exclude them. I think it probably excludes Star eBook as well but that's a different story.

I have been looking into the DRM on the eb1150 and near as I can tell it is based on encryption of the text and uses a code to decrypt it. You can submit OPF files for publication and then the code was added but it may have been that the only way it could be delivered encoded was via the online bookshelf. They still support the online bookshelf but no longer seem to have the DRM content. The online bookshelf differs from other sites selling in that it delivers expanded files directly to the device via USB or modem instead of the IMP container. It may be able to be in the IMP file but I cannot find any record of this in my research.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #47
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The eBookwise supports IMP, and ebookwise.com sells new fiction in this format. I think this meets the criteria for making IMP a "contemporary" DRM format. There is also an actively supported tool for managing DRM and non-DRM files for the eBw.

The device ships with memory. Many people never upgrade the memory that comes with their hardware. I see your point about SD cards no longer being made, but I don't think that on balance the eBw 1150 should be considered a "legacy" device just for this reason alone.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Some comments over here seem relevant to the current discussion.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #49
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If ETI is still manufacturing it, then the ETI-2 is not a legacy device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hudson View Post
Great conversation. I have an interesting take on this topic, since my company is heavily invested in the use of backlit eBook devices.

Recently, I spoke with eBook Technologies Inc, the maker of the ETI-2 (eBookWise) device, and they assured me that their long-term manufacturing plans of the backlit units have not changed. They have E-Ink devices in development, but the ETI-2 backlit devices are here for the long term.

I don’t think the backlit units are going away any time soon. There are too many commercial applications for them.

For example, we use the ETI-2 backlit ebook readers for the newspaper carriers who use our software. Instead of delivering newspapers using paper route lists with the dome light on, they have a backlit eBook device mounted to the windshield. It is immensely safer to use while driving than any paper system.

In demonstrating the necessity of backlighting, these pictures say it all:
eBook Devices used for night time newspaper delivery

In addition, I have yet to see an E-Ink device that is as rugged as the ETI-2. Many commercial environments require a rugged eBook device.

Lastly, since the E-Ink is monochrome only, and many commercial uses of eBook technology require color, E-Ink will not supplant color eBooks for many applications.

eBook devices are gaining popularity in commercial applications. Aside from our software for the newspaper industry, these devices are also in use in the military and in other government applications. Most commercial users will not justify the price difference between the ETI-2 and E-Ink devices.

E-Ink, while promising, will be unsuitable for commercial use until:
1) Its price comes down
2) There is a backlight or integrated frontlight option
3) There is a color option

This is good news for the consumer users who prefer backlit devices. You’ll continue to have backlit devices to choose from for some time to come.

Rob Hudson
rob@mydistrict.net
MyDistrict.Net - Newspaper Circulation Software
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...383#post123383
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm kinda thinking the same thing myself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #51
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Some are complaining the misc eBook category is getting overwhelmed by IMP files....
Dale
I have just posted a book from BookDesigner in the RB format. Is this the format that you want? I thought that the ebw software used the IMP container and directly extracted from that to load in the device. Please check the file over and I will make any corrections I can. There was not an intent to slight.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #52
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I have just posted a book from BookDesigner in the RB format. Is this the format that you want? I thought that the ebw software used the IMP container and directly extracted from that to load in the device. Please check the file over and I will make any corrections I can. There was not an intent to slight.
Books for the eb1150 are in IMP format and coded specifically for the 1150 as opposed to the 1200. When using BookDesigner you need to be careful to not choose multilanguage if it is offered. This would create images rather than text and be 3 to 5 times bigger.

Dale
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #53
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Books for the eb1150 are in IMP format and coded specifically for the 1150 as opposed to the 1200. When using BookDesigner you need to be careful to not choose multilanguage if it is offered. This would create images rather than text and be 3 to 5 times bigger.

Dale
That is what all of my IMP files have been -- 1150 with no multilanguage support. Are these not working for you?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #54
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
That is what all of my IMP files have been -- 1150 with no multilanguage support. Are these not working for you?
They work fine, particular now that you put some TOC's in them. We cleared this misunderstanding in an email where RWOOD though I was calling the IMP files clutter, but what I meant was that others were saying that IMP files were filling up all the MISC entries and they couldn't find their ebook formats. I was trying to make a suggestion that IMP needed its own category in the list of ebook types. I believe it is popular now.

Dale
Old 12-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #55
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
When using BookDesigner you need to be careful to not choose multilanguage if it is offered. This would create images rather than text and be 3 to 5 times bigger.
Or 10 or 20. Depends on the font size used. I always used a nice, large font: it gave ten lines per screen landscape. Even bigger than the largest text size for non-image mode.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #56
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
Or 10 or 20. Depends on the font size used. I always used a nice, large font: it gave ten lines per screen landscape. Even bigger than the largest text size for non-image mode.
Yea, large fonts obviously make more pages which increases the size of the images but I was comparing equal sized fonts when I said 3 to 5 times. I understand the font size issue but I have not found a way in Book Designer to increase the font size for books in IMP format. I do not like the default size and wish it could be changed. (current default size is x-small and it should be small) Hopefully someone can figure out a way to do this at some point. I always read the books posted here using the large font size (medium in this case) because of this problem. The large font size you could actually build a book with using eBook Publisher would be even bigger than what you are using but as I say you cannot seem to control the font in Book Designer for IMP files without using the images.

Dale
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #57
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I have just followed this discussion, and I think we can agree that nobody gets hurt if we include an Ebookwise section due to popular demand. Should it eventually become abandoned we can always move it back to legacy

Please give me a day or two to arrange for the section.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #58
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I was comparing equal sized fonts when I said 3 to 5 times.
There's not a lot of point in doing image-imp instead of text-imp unless you change things, which for me means huge fonts. Or occasionally doing stories with non-Western-European characters that can't be done as text-imp. I don't use BookDesigner for text-imps, since you can't control the output font size, and I do all my conversions at the largest font size (and, with Publisher, don't even bother making a smaller-font alternate). One thing I do in Publisher that I wish I could get to match the way Librarian does it is the line separating the header and the text. In Librarian it's full-width. In Publisher it's two pixels shy of that, I don't know why.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #59
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I have just followed this discussion, and I think we can agree that nobody gets hurt if we include an Ebookwise section due to popular demand. Should it eventually become abandoned we can always move it back to legacy

Please give me a day or two to arrange for the section.
Thank you for your patience. Finally we got our dedicated eBookwise forum and upload section.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #60
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Thank you for your patience. Finally we got our dedicated eBookwise forum and upload section.
Thank you very much.

There are a few IMP files left in the MISC section. These include:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15538
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15505 zip file
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15288
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14269

Dale