Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 650. My mother has a 600. My mother-in-law has a 505, my wife has an iPad.

So how that for a connected family?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
So far, I am alone.
I have not seen another person with ebook reader.

<snip>
Besides this family, I don't know anyone with ebook readers.

To be honest, it is very Sad.
I've ever seen one reader that was not my own or my husband's nor my mother's. And that was right here, at work, where they were wondering if they could put their books on it and wondering about page numbers...

(with "their books", I mean the books they publish and the page numbers are very important if you consider they publish schoolbooks for the higher educational schooling system).

That was a year ago (or almost), no idea if anything came from it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
Seeing other people with ereaders is really joyous isn't it?
Wouldn't know, Jessica. I've never seen anyone else using one, which is strange, given that I live in Sweden, the most connected country in Europe. However, I've seen a lot of hype for the Ipad, just before Christmas, so I suppose I'll be seeing some of those soon.

I'm actually quite surprised at how little the Swedes have taken to ereaders, but maybe they'll take off in 2011.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #19
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
(with "their books", I mean the books they publish and the page numbers are very important if you consider they publish schoolbooks for the higher educational schooling system).
Hm. Sounds as though they might be limited to pdf format, if they have to keep page numbers. I've not heard about an ereader that keeps to the paging for epub at least. Don't know if it's different for mobi.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Up until recently, I was the only one in the family with an e-reader. (I had the Kindle 1.) After my birthday (early November) my stepfather upgraded to the Kindle 3 (3G), and I upgraded to the Kindle 3 Wifi. My mom inherited my Kindle 1, but now she's looking at our newer Kindles with envy, so I'm pretty sure she'll be getting one of her own soon.

My mother says she still likes the physicality of pbooks more, but it's hard to beat e-books on book price -- especially for classics.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have not seen any iPads.
I know one lecturer bought it but she is shopacholic and whenever she feels down(she does it a lot) she must buy a new gadget, so I don't count her.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #22
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Until recently my mom and I were the only ones in our family with readers, and I had one friend with one. I do however know two people (one friend, one extended family member) who were asking for Kindles for Christmas. I haven't talked to either of them since Christmas so I don't know for sure if they received them or not, but based on the pre-Christmas conversations, I think they probably did!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #23
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
It's supposed to be (according to the NY Times, at least) a big Christmas for ereaders. Since Amazon's Kindle is the biggest name in the space, I can only assume a lot of people will be getting Kindles.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I work in the entertainment industry which is dominated by Apple products, so I've seen lots and lots of iPads but no one I've seen with them uses them for reading ebooks (at least not on a regular basis). It's mostly used for video, email and video chatting, from what I've seen.

My podiatrist saw me reading my Kindle and told me he had an iPad but didn't use it for reading. It does so many things, that I think reading ebooks on it is way down on the list for the general public.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #25
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
I think reading in general is pretty low on the list for the general public... people want video and immediate feedback, not long "boring" books where they have to use their imagination.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #26
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
We got my Dad an Kindle last Christmas. He loves it, and has been telling us all about it all year, so I was surprised to find out at this Christmas dinner that I have the only other ereader in the family. I got my Jetbook Lite just before Christmas.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #27
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
I think reading in general is pretty low on the list for the general public... people want video and immediate feedback, not long "boring" books where they have to use their imagination.
Well, there's the etch a sketch thingie and 25 cent hologram stickers in the bubble gum machine for those tea party members who insist on color, motion, and immediate feedback.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #28
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I work in the entertainment industry which is dominated by Apple products, so I've seen lots and lots of iPads but no one I've seen with them uses them for reading ebooks (at least not on a regular basis). It's mostly used for video, email and video chatting, from what I've seen.

My podiatrist saw me reading my Kindle and told me he had an iPad but didn't use it for reading. It does so many things, that I think reading ebooks on it is way down on the list for the general public.
A few weeks ago I noticed the woman sitting next to me waiting for the same flight was reading a book on her iPad - the display was impressive, as was the nifty graphic that looked like paper pages being turned. An acquaintance with an iPad, however, told me she feels it's just too bulky to read a book on.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I have not seen any iPads.
I know one lecturer bought it but she is shopacholic and whenever she feels down(she does it a lot) she must buy a new gadget, so I don't count her.
There was a developer here which had one (he was here for 2 months, seconded*) and I know of one other person who has one. But that one may also be from the company, no idea... It's also used to see if their books and other educational tools** can be used on it...

*I finally looked that word up in English, as we say "detached", aka, "the process or state of being seconded, the temporary transfer of a person from their normal duty to another assignment"

**I'm seconded to one of the largest educational publishers in the Netherlands and still I hardly ever see an electronic reader in any form...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #30
ladyashk
Enthusiast
ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600 (2009, Nook Simple Touch (2012), KPW2 (2013), KPW4 (2021)
I have a Sony PRS600...got it this August right when they were on Sale. Sadly, I never realised that it was on Sale because they were phasing it out for their better model PRS-650. I would love to get a look at that. But I must say, I seem to be the only person in my area with an ebook reader. The others simply look at me in wonder and think in their heads "She reads???? What planet is she from?"
ladyashk is offline   Reply With Quote