Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Big Plans for Kindle Apps?

Just saw this on Business Week:

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...pStories_msnbc

Part of the story:

Quote:
Giant online retailer Amazon.com may be plotting a broader foray into software for smartphones.

The company already offers a handful of mobile applications. One lets users of Apple's (AAPL) iPhone read electronic books on their screens. Another lets BlackBerry users snap photos of products in stores, then find similar items on Amazon. Those may be just the start of Amazon's (AMZN) mobile efforts.

In the past several months the online retailer has been expanding its team of mobile engineers. It's also acquiring companies whose products and knowhow could help Amazon turn out new software for cell phones. The goals may be to sell new programs that can run on Amazon's Kindle e-book reader, make Amazon's digital titles available for more devices, and ring up revenue from sales of mobile applications, say several software executives and analysts.

Amazon won't comment on its mobile-software ambitions. "We don't discuss future plans or developments," spokeswoman Cinthia Portugal says in an e-mail.
As an aside:

I saw on Amazon that the Kindle DX is out of stock for at least 4-6 weeks. I thought it was ironic because last night I had a dream that I had broken my Kindle DX and couldn't afford to replace it (I was told yesterday that I'm going to be losing my job as of 7/24).
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
Just saw this on Business Week:

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...pStories_msnbc

Part of the story:

As an aside:

I saw on Amazon that the Kindle DX is out of stock for at least 4-6 weeks. I thought it was ironic because last night I had a dream that I had broken my Kindle DX and couldn't afford to replace it (I was told yesterday that I'm going to be losing my job as of 7/24).

So sorry about your job loss.
Good luck in your job search!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I'd rather Amazon focused on getting better PDF support on their existing products, than chasing after the iPhone market.

Because, frankly, if Sony or someone else comes out with a large-screen device with good PDF support, I'd dump my Kindles for good, if Amazon hasn't implemented PDF well by then.

Personally, I'd rather start buying all PDF books, as soon as there is a good ~10" device supporting the format.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Bezos did a fairly in-depth discussion a few weeks ago, and basically said they were going to expand and get Kindle books onto more devices. The idea is that the Kindle Reader and the Kindle Store operate independently; i.e. they didn't lower the price of the device in order to hook people into sales (the razor-and-blade model), nor are they lowering e-book prices to drive device sales (the iPod-ITMS model).

Since the e-book sales don't have to rely exclusively on Kindle Reader sales, it makes sense for Amazon to spread out to as many supplementary devices as possible.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Bezos did a fairly in-depth discussion a few weeks ago, and basically said they were going to expand and get Kindle books onto more devices. The idea is that the Kindle Reader and the Kindle Store operate independently; i.e. they didn't lower the price of the device in order to hook people into sales (the razor-and-blade model), nor are they lowering e-book prices to drive device sales (the iPod-ITMS model).

Since the e-book sales don't have to rely exclusively on Kindle Reader sales, it makes sense for Amazon to spread out to as many supplementary devices as possible.
We've had this discussion in another thread. Jeff Bezos is lying. The Kindle and the Kindle store are one business. If they were not, the Kindle would handle Mobipocket DRMed eBooks instead of a new DRM attached to Mobipocket eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Sorry to hear about the job loss, guard that Kindle!!

As for Amazon apps, they are oneof the companies actually smart about their Internet applications development (flex apps, iphone apps, rich APIs, their S3 storage). SO I am guessing any kind of popular mobile device will have some kind of Amazon app available.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote