Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
odoketa
odoketa began at the beginning.

Device: PPC6800
Best phone for reading

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my phone, and I'd like to get one that's good for reading. Right now I do most of my reading on my HTC PPC 6800 (the 'mogul' from Sprint), and it's pretty good - the scroll wheel on the top left makes me happy, as does the front thumb pad. Does anyone know if any of the new phones (preferably with a bigger screen/higher resolution screen) are any good? I know there's a lot of enthusiasm for e-ink here, but it's just too bulky for me (and not back (side, front) lit, for the most part). Plus, I love having a book with me at all times.

Some I've been eyeing are the Samsung phones, the touch (HTC Touch or Touch Pro), the UTStarcom XV6800, and maybe the full screen blackberry ('storm', is it?).

Thanks for any help / suggestions!
odoketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A Windows Smartphone will give you by far the widest range of reading applications, and will allow you to read ANY eBook format. The issue for me, though, has always been that I want a larger screen for reading on than I want to carry around as a phone.

I have an HTC Touch on which I run MobiPocket Reader. It's fine for occasional reading, but I don't think I'd want to use it as my primary book reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I have eReader on my HTC Touch Diamond and my HTC Touch Pro. The screens are small but very, very clear.
I don't mind them as I normally read on my ppcs. And with small multifocal glasses I don't like moving my head aroundto read a page.
However, the battery would be a big concern for me if I was going to do much reading and make many phone calls.
I did read a few novels on the Diamond but that's just my back up phone and I rarely make calls on it.
I think it's great for when you don't have room to carry a lot of stuff and want to be able to read where ever you go. But it would probably be good to have a car charger available.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
My hubby bought me a reconditioned Blackberry 8700C. We picked this one because it does *NOT* have a camera. I visit customer sites where cameras are forbidden, and while I'm willing to give up my camera, I'm not willing to give up my phone and connectivity. So far, we haven't purchased the data plan from the phone company, so I can't browse the internet or get e-mail. But I *can* read books on it.

I downloaded the MobiPocket software for the Blackberry somewhat as an experiment to see how it would be to read a book on it. The font on the Blackberry is very clear and it's much easier to read on it than I had anticipated. And, I have found it's easy to sneak in some "stealth reading" on the Blackberry when I'm in situations where pulling out my Kindle or Sony reader would not be accepted. People are so used to seeing others looking at their Blackberry and they just think you're looking at a text message or e-mail notice. Me, I'm reading a SF book!

I only keep one book on it and a time since I'm not sure how much memory I can tie up with books. When I've finished reading a book, I delete it and add another.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
A Pocketpc phone edition phone would be the nest solution.

You already have one so you are in correct path, just get one of those with the biggest screen you are comfortable with.

One thing people keep on forgetting is that you will get all the eBook readers software and they all will let you read DRM files if you want.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A Windows Smartphone will give you by far the widest range of reading applications, and will allow you to read ANY eBook format. The issue for me, though, has always been that I want a larger screen for reading on than I want to carry around as a phone.
I looked around for readers available for S60 phones and I found support for eReader, MobiPocket, iSilo and so on. So what format is supported on a Windows phone but not on an S60 phone?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I downloaded the MobiPocket software for the Blackberry somewhat as an experiment to see how it would be to read a book on it. The font on the Blackberry is very clear and it's much easier to read on it than I had anticipated. And, I have found it's easy to sneak in some "stealth reading" on the Blackberry when I'm in situations where pulling out my Kindle or Sony reader would not be accepted. People are so used to seeing others looking at their Blackberry and they just think you're looking at a text message or e-mail notice. Me, I'm reading a SF book!
I experimented reading book on my Nokia N85 and was suprised how readable it was. And as you say, perfect for stealth reading at boring meetings.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I looked around for readers available for S60 phones and I found support for eReader, MobiPocket, iSilo and so on. So what format is supported on a Windows phone but not on an S60 phone?
LIT for sure. You can check the list in the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would recommend NOT going with an LG Dare. It is running Java, and I don't know of an e-book reader coded for Brew.

(Glad I didn't get it for reading!...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoketa View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my phone, and I'd like to get one that's good for reading. Right now I do most of my reading on my HTC PPC 6800 (the 'mogul' from Sprint), and it's pretty good - the scroll wheel on the top left makes me happy, as does the front thumb pad. Does anyone know if any of the new phones (preferably with a bigger screen/higher resolution screen) are any good? I know there's a lot of enthusiasm for e-ink here, but it's just too bulky for me (and not back (side, front) lit, for the most part). Plus, I love having a book with me at all times.

Some I've been eyeing are the Samsung phones, the touch (HTC Touch or Touch Pro), the UTStarcom XV6800, and maybe the full screen blackberry ('storm', is it?).

Thanks for any help / suggestions!
Really, any phone with a 3.5" (Measured along the diagonal.) screen or larger would be suitable for reading.

However, the question strongly pulls up a paraphrase in my mind - silly rabbit, phone are for talking!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
odoketa
odoketa began at the beginning.

Device: PPC6800
update on the search

First off, thanks for all the comments! As I get closer to making the switch, I'm going to be coming back to them for guidance.

I went hunting for a place that would let me search out phones with certain attributes (like a 3.5 inch screen). I didn't find exactly that, but I did find Phone Arena's advanced search, which is not bad. I figure a high res screen probably means a big screen (mostly).
odoketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
LIT for sure. You can check the list in the wiki.
Ah, since nobody think it is an disadvantage for an E-ink reader not to handle lit format I did not think about this obvious answer. eReader, all palm format and Mobipocket are supported on Symbian OS at least.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
As say above: pocketpc phones support all the DRM formats and lots of other more!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
As say above: pocketpc phones support all the DRM formats and lots of other more!
Really. It supports Sony's DRM format? I did not know that.

My point was that the difference in supported formats seems pretty irrelevant.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #15
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I figure a high res screen probably means a big screen (mostly).

No, not really. My husband's HTC Tytan Tilt has a bigger screen than my HTC Touch Diamond or HTC Touch Pro but the resolution on the latter is better.
Most screens seem to have a display of 240 x 320 pixels. the Diamond and Pro are 480 x 640 and you can see the difference.

I buy PDA Essentials magazine (U.K.) and got the figures from there.

The Toshiba G910 has 480 x 800 but I've neve seen one. There are very few really high res screens on phones or pdas.

That's why I bought the HP 212 although I already had a good pda. I missed the higher res of my broken HP 4700.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook reader, ebook-devices, phone