Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #35251
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Hi, all. Yes, I am still alive and kicking. I'm not even going to attempt to catch up, just jump back in.

All is well here - I graduated college - Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management (Magna Cum Laude).

How's everyone?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #35252
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi Shel!! Nice to have you back and congratulations on your degree.

My sis in law works in HR.... get ready for some fun times.

How is the grandbaby? Chris? Your daughter? I bet the baby has really grown.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #35253
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Hi Shel!! Nice to have you back and congratulations on your degree.

My sis in law works in HR.... get ready for some fun times.

How is the grandbaby? Chris? Your daughter? I bet the baby has really grown.
The baby has grown and is growing like a bad weed - I've got a picture somewhere...she was 2 in October.
Chris is fine - he is also finally done with school, the tally turned out to be one Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems, one Master's in Information Systems Management and an MBA. The kids are all good - daughter and sil are both working now, and a friend watches Miss Toryn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diploma.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	98945   Click image for larger version

Name:	toryn2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	98946  
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #35254
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
That's one you really have to frame for the wall. You should be proud that all that hard work paid off and you finished Magna Cum Laude.

Oh wow! I can't believe that Toryn has grown so much. She looks like she is a happy little girl. I'm happy to hear that everyone is doing well. Tell Chris congratulations too.

So what are you going to do now that school is finally over?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #35255
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Well, the job market being what it is (or to be more exact, isn't), plans sort of hinge on which of us finds a job in their field first. Chris is having better luck than I am in finding things for which to apply. I am still enjoying the utter bliss of having no school deadlines on weekends and days off.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #35256
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Karma for your new degree, Shel, and congratulations too!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #35257
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Congrats! It is nice when school is done.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #35258
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Hi, all. Yes, I am still alive and kicking. I'm not even going to attempt to catch up, just jump back in.

All is well here - I graduated college - Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management (Magna Cum Laude).

How's everyone?
Congrats
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #35259
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

How's everyone?
Many congratulations. Having recently gone back to studing for a Psychology "A" Level, I know just how hard getting back into the discipline of education and learning can be in, ahem, later stages of life .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #35260
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:

How's everyone?
Congratulations!!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #35261
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just got word that my niece-in-law is setting up an arranged marriage.
In Asia, some things just never change...

Stitchawl
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #35262
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
I was always appalled by the idea, until one of my staff had his marriage arranged for him by his parents. He said that for him, and his bride, it took away all the pressure of courtship and it's attendant perils, and he loved it.

I'm still not convinced, but for some it seems to work .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #35263
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I was always appalled by the idea, until one of my staff had his marriage arranged for him by his parents. He said that for him, and his bride, it took away all the pressure of courtship and it's attendant perils, and he loved it.

I am really curious as to the success rate (both people happy, loving/loved) of arranged marriages.

The fact that two people, on their own, unassisted, can be in a relation for years that ends up going nowhere, or be in a relationship for months that ends up happily ever after, makes me wonder how two people with no say in the matter at all can make it work.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #35264
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post

It also serves other purposes. The Japanese have a saying; 'Women are like Christmas Cake. After the 25th they are stale.' If a woman reaches her 25th birthday and hasn't found her true love, the opportunities to do so drop radically. There just isn't any place for older (30's and up) single people to meet and make new friends. It's not like the western countries where there are social events that can be attended, or singles outings, etc. Even church's cater to the couples and families rather than the singles.

To advance in the workplace, a man MUST be married and have a family. And few Japanese women want to have 'careers.' They want the freedom that being a wife and mother bring. Once the kids enter school, Mom has from 8am until about 7pm (or later) to do anything she wants... tennis lessons, golf lessons, flower arranging, meeting her girlfriends and going shopping or or just sitting in Starbucks chatting. She's only limited by her imagination, so long as she's home to make dinner for the kids. And actually, once the kids are in junior high (age 12 and up) they are going to 'juku' (after school and evening tutoring) so they can pass the entrance exams for high school and college. They don't get home again until 11pm. She's got plenty of money and plenty of time. All that's required of her is to make breakfast for husband and kids and get them out of the house, and make dinner for the kids. Most husbands don't get home until after 9 or 10, take a long bath and go to sleep.

Japan is a very different culture... It's a rare marriage that is about love. In Japan it's more about respect.

Stitchawl
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #35265
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I am really curious as to the success rate (both people happy, loving/loved) of arranged marriages.

The fact that two people, on their own, unassisted, can be in a relation for years that ends up going nowhere, or be in a relationship for months that ends up happily ever after, makes me wonder how two people with no say in the matter at all can make it work.
You do need to realize that in today's arranged marriage, either party can refuse. They do meet and spend time together before the marriage. Almost 4 or 5 days...

There is the 'first meeting,' usually a dinner together, then a second. Then there is 'a dinner with the parents.' One for each set. Then the couple will go away for a few days on a 'trial honeymoon.' If all that works, they get married. And while there are divorces in Japan, the numbers are much lower than in the West, where more than 50% of marriages now end in divorce. It's really not so different from 'dating services,' just faster.

Stitchawl

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?