Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:50 AM   #76
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Massive Markdown on Ebook Harmonizing Science and the Bible--Multiple Formats

I've put a duplicate post in the "Christian Interest" thread.

Redeeming Science: A God-Centered Approach. By Vern S. Poythress. Rated 4 stars from 14 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $25.00; digital list price $15.99; Kindle price now $0.99. http://www.amazon.com/Redeeming-Scie...tered+Approach. THe ebook is also available, in ePub, for just $0.79 at Christianbook: http://www.christianbook.com/redeemi...N&view=details. It is the regular price at Kobo, at this writing.

Book Description
Many people think science is antagonistic to Christian belief. Science, it is said, shows that the universe is billions of years old, while the Bible says it is only thousands of years old. And some claim that science shows supernatural miracles are impossible. These and other points of contention cause some Christians to view science as a threat to their beliefs.

Redeeming Science attempts to kindle our appreciation for science as it ought to be-science that could serve as a path for praising God and serving fellow human beings. Through examining the wonderfully complex and immutable laws of nature, author Vern Poythress explains, we ought to recognize the wisdom, care, and beauty of God. A Christian worldview restores a true response to science, where we praise the God who created nature and cares for it.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #77
scottken
Addict
scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook color
Yeah, I'm not sure this would qualify as nonfiction

It's also online free (pdf) from the writer's website.
http://www.frame-poythress.org/wp-co...ingScience.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I've put a duplicate post in the "Christian Interest" thread.

Redeeming Science: A God-Centered Approach. By Vern S. Poythress. Rated 4 stars from 14 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $25.00; digital list price $15.99; Kindle price now $0.99. http://www.amazon.com/Redeeming-Scie...tered+Approach. THe ebook is also available, in ePub, for just $0.79 at Christianbook: http://www.christianbook.com/redeemi...N&view=details. It is the regular price at Kobo, at this writing.

Book Description
Many people think science is antagonistic to Christian belief. Science, it is said, shows that the universe is billions of years old, while the Bible says it is only thousands of years old. And some claim that science shows supernatural miracles are impossible. These and other points of contention cause some Christians to view science as a threat to their beliefs.

Redeeming Science attempts to kindle our appreciation for science as it ought to be-science that could serve as a path for praising God and serving fellow human beings. Through examining the wonderfully complex and immutable laws of nature, author Vern Poythress explains, we ought to recognize the wisdom, care, and beauty of God. A Christian worldview restores a true response to science, where we praise the God who created nature and cares for it.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #78
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottken View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure this would qualify as nonfiction
Old 06-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #79
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
There's some science in it.

And would you please stop laughing. (haha)

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-20-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #80
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottken View Post
. . . .

It's also online free (pdf) from the writer's website.
http://www.frame-poythress.org/wp-co...ingScience.pdf
Great find! Thanks for sharing it! I can live with pdf.

I wasted 99 cents buying a copy, though. Or, maybe it was a $1 off code. I've forgotten.

I did some rummaging around that site and found that there are lots of free ebooks by that author. Fantastic.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #81
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

How a Restauranteur Conquered the West--Bargain Ebook in Multiple Formats

I don't like to post ebooks that you actually have to pay for, but this one seemed like a worthy exception--it's on a fascinating topic; it's very highly rated; it's marked way, way down; and it's big (it's 544 pages!). I just wish that it had an audiobook version.

Appetite for America: Fred Harvey and the Business of Civilizing the Wild West--One Meal at a Time. By Stephen Fried. Rated 4 1/2 stars from 102 reviews. Print list price $18.00; Kindle price now $1.99. http://www.amazon.com/Appetite-Ameri...Meal+at+a+Time. Also available (I assume for the same price) at Apple (iTunes), Barnes & Noble, Google Play, and Kobo; I was too lazy to look up the URLs and post them, sorry.

Book Description
Featured in the PBS documentary The Harvey Girls: Opportunity Bound

The legendary life and entrepreneurial vision of Fred Harvey helped shape American culture and history for three generations—from the 1880s all the way through World War II—and still influence our lives today in surprising and fascinating ways. Now award-winning journalist Stephen Fried re-creates the life of this unlikely American hero, the founding father of the nation’s service industry, whose remarkable family business civilized the West and introduced America to Americans.]

Appetite for America is the incredible real-life story of Fred Harvey—told in depth for the first time ever—as well as the story of this country’s expansion into the Wild West of Bat Masterson and Billy the Kid, of the great days of the railroad, of a time when a deal could still be made with a handshake and the United States was still uniting. As a young immigrant, Fred Harvey worked his way up from dishwasher to household name: He was Ray Kroc before McDonald’s, J. Willard Marriott before Marriott Hotels, Howard Schultz before Starbucks. His eating houses and hotels along the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe railroad (including historic lodges still in use at the Grand Canyon) were patronized by princes, presidents, and countless ordinary travelers looking for the best cup of coffee in the country. Harvey’s staff of carefully screened single young women—the celebrated Harvey Girls—were the country’s first female workforce and became genuine Americana, even inspiring an MGM musical starring Judy Garland.

With the verve and passion of Fred Harvey himself, Stephen Fried tells the story of how this visionary built his business from a single lunch counter into a family empire whose marketing and innovations we still encounter in myriad ways. Inspiring, instructive, and hugely entertaining,
Appetite for America is historical biography that is as richly rewarding as a slice of fresh apple pie—and every bit as satisfying.

*With two photo inserts featuring over 75 images, and an appendix with over fifty Fred Harvey recipes, most of them never-before-published.

From the Hardcover edition.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-20-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #82
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Thanks for posting this--I love the movie and have been to one of the old restaurants recreated as a museum, so I snapped it up. It is available for Nook, BTW; I'm sorry I don't know how to post a link.

Quote:
I don't like to post ebooks that you actually have to pay for, but this one seemed like a worthy exception--it's on a fascinating topic; it's very highly rated; it's marked way, way down; and it's big (it's 544 pages!). I just wish that it had an audiobook version.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #83
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Thanks for posting this--I love the movie and have been to one of the old restaurants recreated as a museum, so I snapped it up. It is available for Nook, BTW; I'm sorry I don't know how to post a link.
B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/appe...=9780553907322

I also snapped this one up having worked for Amfac Corporation, the purchaser of Fred Harvey Company in 1968, before and after it was renamed Xanterra Parks and Resorts. Fred Harvey is an important part of the history of the American West.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #84
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Visitors Guide to London--Kindle Freebie

This book looks like a really good one, but it may be of limited appeal. I mean, how many of you are going to take a trip to London any time soon? But, who knows, since you've got a travel guide for London now, you just might decide to plan a trip there. (ha)

Me? I'm afraid that I'm just going to have to consider it a poor man's travelogue.

Visitor's Guide to London. By Blair Howard. Rated 5 stars, but from only 9 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $9.95; digital list price $2.99; Kindle price now $0.00. http://www.amazon.com/Visitors-Guide...uide+to+london.

Book Description
If you’re planning a visit to London, you’ll find the Visitor's Guide to London a valuable resource. Within these pages you’ll find all the in-depth information you’ll need to plan your trip, and to make your visit to London a success, including:

Things to do in London: all of the major attractions are covered in-depth, and with full reviews. These include: sightseeing around London, the great London museums and historic buildings (the British Museum; the Natural History Museum; the Tate Galleries; the Victoria and Albert Museum); the London Eye, the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abby, HMS Belfast, the Winston Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms, Harrods Department Store, and many more.

You'll also need to know How to Get Around London; chapters include: an in-depth lesson on how to use the Tube (London Underground), London’s Buses, etc. You'll find all of the pertinent bus routes listed along with nearest Tube stations to all the listed attractions, hotels and restaurants.

Where to Stay in London: Included are in-depth reviews of a range of Budget, Medium Priced and Luxury Hotels. All of which are known personally to the author.

Things to do Outside of London: As busy as London is, and with all the bustling around you'll be doing while you're in the city, you will probably need time to wind down and relax, and there's no better way to do that than to take a short road trip or guided touur. That being so, you'll find including Day Trips to Windsor Castle, Shakespeare Country (Stratford upon Avon and Warwick Castle), Stonehenge, and the Cotswolds.

The book is fully illustrated with maps and more than 120 photographs.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-21-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:24 AM   #85
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Highly-Rated Book on Being Successful--Kindle Freebie!

Not only is this book highly rated by customers, it has received very positive reviews in book reviews (see some of them at the Web address below).

Inner Critic Inner Success: Claiming Your Success While Taming the Critics. By Stacey Sargent. Rated 5 stars from 31 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $11.99; digital list price $6.99; Kindle price now $0.00. http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Critic-S...ng+the+Critics. 284 pages. This book may be available, and possibly free, from other vendors, also; I did not check elsewhere.

Book Description
Inner Critic Inner Success straddles the worlds of business and self-help in a way that’s bursting with smarts yet is full of soul. It’s a guide to finding the sweet spot in life where you can hold both success and doubt in a way that feels actionable and spacious instead of pointless and stuck. This book helps you capitalize on the dynamic and powerful relationship between critic and success. With attention and awareness, you’ll become adept at seeing the dynamics of how success and doubt play off each other on a daily basis. You’ll begin to transform that negative Inner Critic voice into a beam of light that spotlights your most cherished hopes, values and strengths. It challenges you to define success in a radical new way — on YOUR terms (versus what society, culture and business dictate) and from the perspective of how you feel about success not just how you think.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:57 AM   #86
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

October 1964--Bargain Priced Kindle by David Halberstam

I suppose a lot of notable things happened in October, 1964. What author David Halberstam has in mind is the 1964 World Series between the Yankees and the Cardinals.

I'm not much of a fan of baseball, but maybe some of you are. If you are, maybe you'll find this ebook a "must have." Even if you don't care for baseball, you might want to buy it because of the vaunted David Halberstam being the author (a short biography follows the book description below).

October 1964. By David Halberstam. Rated 4 1/2 stars from 105 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $17.00; digital list price $14.99; Kindle price now $2.99. http://www.amazon.com/October-1964-D...s=october+1964. 400 pages. This book may be available, and possibly greatly marked down, from other vendors, also; I did not check elsewhere.

Book Description
The bestselling follow-up to the classic The Summer of ’49, illuminating the heart-pounding 1964 World Series between the Yankees and Cardinals

David Halberstam, an avid sports writer with an investigative reporter’s tenacity, superbly details the end of the fifteen-year reign of the New York Yankees in October 1964. That October found the Yankees going head-to-head with the St. Louis Cardinals for the World Series pennant. Expertly weaving the narrative threads of both teams’ seasons, Halberstam brings the major personalities on the field—from switch-hitter Mickey Mantle to pitcher Bob Gibson—to life. Using the teams’ subcultures, Halberstam also analyzes the cultural shifts of the sixties. The result is a unique blend of sports writing and cultural history as engrossing as it is insightful.

This ebook features an extended biography of David Halberstam.

Short Biography
David Halberstam, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, has chronicled the social, political, and athletic life of America in such bestselling books as The Fifties, The Best and the Brightest, and The Amateurs. He lives in New York.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This book looks like a really good one, but it may be of limited appeal. I mean, how many of you are going to take a trip to London any time soon?
Given that it's one of the world's most popular tourist destinations, quite a few, I would imagine.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #88
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Agate's current freebies are interesting and somewhat different than their usual fare.

Out and Proud in Chicago: An Overview of the City's Gay Community by Tracy Baim
B&N Amazon

Straight from Your Gay Best Friend: The Straight-Up Truth About Relationships, Work, and Having a Fabulous Life by Terrance Dean
B&N Amazon
Old 06-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #89
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8;2858150

[B
October 1964.[/B] By David Halberstam.
Thanks for the info. Loved his "Summer of 49". This should be excellent.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 AM   #90
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I got an email a few hours ago telling about a "fire sale" that a company called Erskines Gallery & Gifts, dba "wholesomechildhood.com," is having right now. They're also calling it a "$5 sale" because--you guessed it--nearly everything is $5. It goes through Thursday, June 26.

Everything is download only. I only had time to look quickly over the selection, but I was impressed by the items that they have--it's not stuff that you see all of the time. They have stuff on sale in these categories: homeschool, audio collections, and family resources, in reading material and audio formats. There is also a "Freebie Collection;" you can find it in the middle of the webpage whose address I am about to give you.

As you can probably tell, everything is oriented toward families with children or schoolteachers; however I saw several audiobooks that I think that I would like to buy for myself. Much of the material may be from a religious (Christianity) perspective, but it seems to be low key.

I've never done business with this company before, but the email that I got telling me about it was from a company (Knowledge Quest (http://www.knowledgequest.com) that I believe is on "the up and up."

Supposedly only the subscribers to Knowledge Quest's newsletters have been informed about the sale, but the Web page with the information on the sale can be accessed by anyone who points their browser to http://www.wholesomechildhood.com/Su.../HeldOver.html.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-25-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Closed Thread