Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #151
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Batman
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #152
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Anthony Gilbert's (actually Lucy Beatrice Malleson) Arthur Crook.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #153
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Inspectors Reginald Wexford (Ruth Rendell), Jimmy Perez and Vera Stanhope (Ann Cleeves), and Armand Gamache (Louise Penny).

I've spent many a late night solving mysteries with these sleuths...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #154
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Also, Alan Bradley's books about the cute eleven-year old detective, Flavia de Luce, are a real hoot!!!!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #155
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse. Then again, those are the only mysteries I can remember reading, other than Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians (which had no sleuth).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #156
raychensmith
raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like of the violent, no-nonsense type sleuths than the cerebral types. Not sure why. Philip Marlowe's pretty good, but I thinking more of James Ellroy's antiheroes. I guess I just like reading action scenes more than intellectual conversations.
raychensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #157
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by raychensmith View Post
I like of the violent, no-nonsense type sleuths than the cerebral types. Not sure why. Philip Marlowe's pretty good, but I thinking more of James Ellroy's antiheroes. I guess I just like reading action scenes more than intellectual conversations.
With me it's entirely the opposite - my favourite type of detective is the intellectual problem-solving variety.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #158
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With me it's entirely the opposite - my favourite type of detective is the intellectual problem-solving variety.
I like both types.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #159
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot.
Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody.
Hazel Holt's Sheila Malory (I have only read four books in her cosy mystery series, but have enjoyed them a lot).
Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant (YA contemporary fantasy).
P. D. James' Adam Dalgliesh.

There are plenty more I've enjoyed, but that would be a pretty long list...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #160
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Also, Alan Bradley's books about the cute eleven-year old detective, Flavia de Luce, are a real hoot!!!!
Agreed. She's kind of like Merricat from We Have Always LIved in the Castle...if she had devoted her morbid imagination and peculiar obsession with poisons towards the solving of crimes, rather than the committing of them. But Flavia is infinitely more fun and sociable with a witty and acid-like tongue.

I've only read the first book (The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie), but intend to read the rest in the series. It's that good.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #161
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder is a good one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #162
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And for me, it's the human-nature solving variety; Maigret being my favourite.

I'd always sloppily thought mysteries were more or less the same, but this discussion is showing some distinct types. Very interesting!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #163
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Most of my favorites were listed. If you like 'cozy' mysteries (Miss Marple? love her), try MC Beaton's books - two series, one featuring Agatha Raisin (a bit two acerbic for me) and the other (better one imho) is Hamish MacBeth - a police constable in Scotland.
(www.stopyourekillingme.com is a great site - but everyone here probably knows that..lol)
How about Jack Swyteck? (Author: James Grippando) He's an attorney in Miami, but does a lot of 'sleuthing' too :-)
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #164
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have 3 that are regular favorites.
1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Hercule Poirot
3. Miss Marple

Each has given me many hrs of reading pleasure.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #165
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I'll mention Ellery Queen. Two of his books (from the 10 I've read) are better than almost any mystery books that I've read in my entire life. They are The Greek Coffin Mystery and The Egyptian Cross Mystery.

I think Stephanie Plum's humor is limited to native or fluent English speakers. The funniest sleuths for me are tied between John Corey(author, Nelson Demille) and Jaine Austen (author, Laura Levine). One example of humor from the John Corey series is in Plum Island...one suspect, a wine maker, is waxing lyrical about Bacchus, then Corey chimes in "also a hell of a composer." "That's Bach." Very funny.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote