Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #31
haliava
haliava began at the beginning.

Device: N950/Kindle 3/PRS T1/DR 1000/Kyobo
JimStar,

Have you succeeded in rooting the Kyobo reader?
haliava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #32
JimStar
Enthusiast
JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kyobo eReader, Sony PRS-950, PocketBook Pro 902, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by haliava View Post
JimStar,

Have you succeeded in rooting the Kyobo reader?
Yes, some time ago I did it.
Now it has a default Android Home, a good and convenient russian keyboard, CoolReader as cool reader, and another useful soft, e.g. fitness manager - my wife use it now to plan and log her diet and fitness sessions... Still with backlight enabled all the time...
JimStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
JimStar, can you tell us how you rooted it and if you had any problems?
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #34
JimStar
Enthusiast
JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
JimStar, can you tell us how you rooted it and if you had any problems?
Boot partition need to be changed... The sequence you can see e.g. HERE...
No problems so far...
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #35
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Thanks JimStar, however I'm not sure I want to try this. I'd really like to find a source to import one (to the US) with English firmware already installed. I know this is possible because the guys over at Good EReader told me they found a company that did the update and then factory-wrapped the reader and sent it to them. Unfortunately, I am unable to obtain the name of the company.

Does anyone know of a Korean buying company that will do this?
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #36
JimStar
Enthusiast

I still see the questions of the people that don't have Mirasol device about display and "how it look"...
My first photos in this thread were made by my wife's cheap camera that can't get good shots in bad light without flash - so the photos are not correct from the point of view of reality.
Some time ago I've bought the good cam with very good ability to shot in bad light without flash and noise. So, the second try to get shots more close to reality without flash in the room with 8x22W energy-saving E27 lamps (equivalent ~800Watt) reciding at two sides of room. You can see that the problem of Mirasol without backlight in comparison with eInk is that Mirasol has more directional reflection ability (less surface light scattering) than eInk (eInk reflects the light in the wide spread of angles, and surface light scattering is a lot higher than in Mirasol) - and it is the reason why eInk can be almost "white" in the WIDE spread of angles to light source, but Mirasol is close to "white" ONLY if you "catch" the DIRECT angle of reflection to light source. My English is not good, so I hope I was able to explain it..
Traffic warning: big hi-res pictures, about 14MB each!

Backlight enabled:

Backlight disabled:

Last edited by JimStar; 01-18-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #37
JimStar
Enthusiast

A little addition-clarification:
Don't think that "the more the angle of view is the darker is Mirasol, and in direct anfas view it is brighter", the darkness is not dependent from angle of view, it is dependent from angle to light source. And it is just occasionally that the angle to light source on these photos was almost direct in anfas. Where the light source in another place - it can be that in the direct anfas Mirasol will be VERY dark and in acute angle it will be more bright. On one of these photos you can see that Mirasol is bright enough in the same "more acute" angle in which it is dark on another photo (another angle to light source).
So, in some circumstances you will need to read from acute angle to get Mirasol more bright, contrast and readable...
And eInk is equally bright in all these angles...

Last edited by JimStar; 01-19-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #38
JimStar
Enthusiast

That is what I'm trying to explain:

The almost direct angle to light source (if you set direct angle to light source - you will get overexposed hotspot and very reflective Mirasol will be not readable too). Both eInk and Mirasol are bright enough and contrast:

The same viewing angle, but another angle to light source. eInk is very bright in any angle, but Mirasol becomes almost unreadable:
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #39
certain
certain began at the beginning.

Device: AmazonKindle3Duokan
Hello Jim. Please tell, How your eyes with frontlight on? same with LCD(TFT) displays? or more comfortable? How long you can read with frontlight on, same with eink? or worse?
certain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #40
JimStar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by certain View Post
Hello Jim. Please tell, How your eyes with frontlight on? same with LCD(TFT) displays? or more comfortable?
I don't think that my subjective opinion will be usable for you. So, do not take it seriously.

Less comfortable. It is some "misty" (if I right use the term) in comparison with LCD and colors are some "dimmed"... It's even not close to my iPad in colors quality. BUT: it is MY opinion (and I don't use it a lot - as I wrote my wife uses it). And perhaps, were I don't have iPad - Mirasol with frontlight could be very good for reading at night... And one thing in what the Mirasol beats iPad - it has a lot better physical resolution (points per inch), so it is more sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certain View Post
How long you can read with frontlight on, same with eink? or worse?
At night I can't read eInk at all. At least without headlamp. But, when I tried to read eInk with headlamp - my head hurt me in a half of hour so much (from the rubber belt) that I stopped reading.