Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you sent your paperwhite back for exchange or gotten your money back?
Yes...once 17 13.49%
More than once 23 18.25%
No..the pw is working great. 86 68.25%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I ended up returning my Paperwhite for a refund, but that's just because I'm very picky about things like fonts, and I didn't like the way that the Paperwhite rendered them. That said, I think it's a great device and I didn't really have any problems with getting a device with a good screen.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I returned my paperwhite because it was very visibly not as sharp as my kindle keyboard (which I am using now). And that after having waited for it for about a month and having it brought to Europe by a US friend.

I once saw a Kobo Glow at a display at an airport and liked the colour (blue) so much more than that of the PW (greenish white).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #18
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
I am always blown away (and horribly jealous) that so many people view those screen images of the paperwhite as normal and not an issue. i am unfortunately one of those people who see all kinds of hues on the screen and discoloration of pinks and blues. i really want to love the paperwhite but my eyes pick up everything. there was someone on an earlier thread who said "don't trust subjective measures, trust objective ones" then gave some statement about the image being completely normal. i have to disagree wholeheartedly. the e-reader experience should be very subjective to each individual user so that he/she can find something that works to maximize reading pleasure (i have 20/20 eyes but seem to have the unfortunate eyes that see the uneven colors. i also exchanged 6 times). i fully support the kindles and plan to continue to. but as of now, i think the paperwhite screens are absolutely awful reading in the dark. look forward to the 2nd generation.

as for your 10 year old, i say pick one up and let her play with it and decide on her own. only thing that matters is if the user is happy.

Last edited by feelmaroon; 04-28-2013 at 02:55 AM.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #19
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've never had to exchange mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'd guess that a 10-year old isn't as picky as an adult. I think she'll love the paperwhite.
Agreed!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

I went through 3 PWs before giving up. Among other things I'm an amateur photographer and have always been artistically talented, so perhaps that is one reason the screens bothered me so much. No OCD though. I really don't think my screens had "minor" issues. My PW screens had MAJOR issues that messed with my eyes and probably my mind too. If you focus on the imperfections rather than the text, then it is time to get rid of the PW, and that is what I did. I'm not convinced that there will ever be a decent eInk reader with a light layer placed on top of the eInk screen. I rather doubt this will ever work to my satisfaction. I have now migrated to reading in darker rooms either on my iPhone 5 or my iPad 3. For well lit areas I use my Kindle Touch. However, I personally find it is difficult to return to a slow, sluggish touch screen eInk reader after reading on a lightning fast super sharp phone or tablet.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-28-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
...No OCD though.
Quote:
Previously: Kindle K2, DXG, K3 x 3, K4, KPW, Fire, Fire HD 7", Sony PRS-505, 300, 350, 600, 900, 950, iPad1
Really?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I just showed my Paperwhite to my daughter, who has excellent color vision: better than most (we have the test reports to prove it). She sees no color blooms on my Paperwhite.

I have a friend with a PW who also has no color blooms on hers. So it is possible.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Really?
I love electronics and I'm a gadget freak, so how does that translate into OCD? And besides, taking pot shots like those are usually frowned upon, even though I take no offense at them. However, I guarantee if I had authored them rather than you I would have gotten a nasty PM from an over zealous Moderator. Go figure?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I just showed my Paperwhite to my daughter, who has excellent color vision: better than most (we have the test reports to prove it). She sees no color blooms on my Paperwhite.

I have a friend with a PW who also has no color blooms on hers. So it is possible.
Perhaps for some, but not necessarily for all. Everyone has unique vision.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

I have none on mine. Whatsoever.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mine is perfect so far, and it's been getting a lot of use recently.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #26
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
I love electronics and I'm a gadget freak, so how does that translate into OCD? And besides, taking pot shots like those are usually frowned upon, even though I take no offense at them. However, I guarantee if I had authored them rather than you I would have gotten a nasty PM from an over zealous Moderator. Go figure?!
Geees, lighten up, it wasn't a "pot shot"...the dicotomy of your statement and your signature line hit my funny bone. Decaf anyone?!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #27
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
I am waiting for my 4th replacement now. The background of the first one is nice and white but there are a lot of colour blooms across it, especially on the lower half of the screen and up the left hand side.

The replacements have all had colour blooms and the general background has been more of a greeny grey than white. The latest one has a peculiar fault; just above the level of the location/percentage line, faint text marks appear which start to fill in as you move through the pages up until the full page refresh, when it disappears.

I am a designer and whilst I realise this means my eye is trained to pick up little disparities, I wish I could find someone locally with a 'perfect' Kindle screen, to see if I find it perfect too.

Otherwise, I really like the design of the PW.

ren
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #28
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I wonder if picky Kindle users are picky in all parts of their life. Picky eaters, perhaps? A man was bragging that he sent his steak back three times. Me? I'd have thrown him out of my restaurant.

I think Amazon should have a supply of Nooks to give customers after a certain threshold of returns for peculiar or imaginary reasons.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #29
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Customer satisfaction. Even if one or two are jerks the word gets around that this company cares about its customers. A company couldn't ask for a better advertisement. How many times do you see people bragging about Amazon's CS while at the same time others are bad mouthing the CS at other places?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #30
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I wonder if picky Kindle users are picky in all parts of their life. Picky eaters, perhaps? A man was bragging that he sent his steak back three times. Me? I'd have thrown him out of my restaurant.

I think Amazon should have a supply of Nooks to give customers after a certain threshold of returns for peculiar or imaginary reasons.
Erm, when I buy a Kindle, I want to be able to read on it without distracting colour blotches all over the place... I think that's perfectly reasonable which is why my first one went back because frankly it was terrible and I was very disappointed. The second one I got was much, much better and the difference between the two was quite staggering.

If there's something wrong with a product I buy, I don't see why I should just put up with it.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote