Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #661
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
That's amazing, but they must have very high running costs. I don't know about decades. Maybe a few years, until cheap flexible color eink displays are here! I'll be the first to get a subscription then
When I said decades I meant for the attitudes of consumers to change. Compared to users here at mobileread most people are Luddites. The average reader of the New York Times is apt to want to stay with paper.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #662
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Now I know why you guys love them so much - they're super! My husband has all but forgotten his envy of my SGP in his love for his Clip. It's loaded with his favorite music and he loves listening to the radio so he's happy as a clam

I love how simple it is to manage the content on there. I use MediaMonkey and it's a simple matter to plug it in and let MM sync whatever I want. I especially love that for my podcasts. I use the Audible Device Manager for their audiobooks; I haven't gotten around to loading MM with my non-Audible audiobooks yet (I keep them off my computer to save space; I think need to get an external hard drive just for audio content ). I'm very happy with my Clip
I'm so glad he likes it! I LOVE mine! Ok, fine, I love all 3 of mine! I have the Clip+, not the zip, by the way. I can't quite justify upgrading yet. Hubby might shoot me!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #663
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Do you use the default OS on it or rockbox?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #664
jeffrx
jeffrx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Do you use the default OS on it or rockbox?
Rockbox makes the already good Sansa Clip even better. Bit of a learning curve, but once you're used to it -- nothing else will do!
jeffrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #665
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrx View Post
Rockbox makes the already good Sansa Clip even better. Bit of a learning curve, but once you're used to it -- nothing else will do!
I've never heard of Rockbox; how does it enhance the Clip?
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #666
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I've never heard of Rockbox; how does it enhance the Clip?
I prefer Stock firmware to Rockbox. It does everything you need it to do. If you want to listen to anything with DRM on it. Rockbox can't do that and once install it's possible even if you rollback it wont let you play DRM files.

I listen to alot of Audiobooks WMA that are DRM. It's great because they never expire so once I check them out I can listen to them and then delete when done. No standing in lines again.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #667
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I prefer Stock firmware to Rockbox. It does everything you need it to do. If you want to listen to anything with DRM on it. Rockbox can't do that and once install it's possible even if you rollback it wont let you play DRM files.

I listen to alot of Audiobooks WMA that are DRM. It's great because they never expire so once I check them out I can listen to them and then delete when done. No standing in lines again.
Ok then, no longer interested in Rockbox, whatever it is. I pick up WMA audiobooks from the library and, like you, I like to listen to them on my own time and delete the files after. My other Sansa player (which reminds, I need to pass it on to someone) used to let me do that and I plan to do the same with my new Clip.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #668
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Definitely a no-go on Rockbox for me, too, then (although I have a spare I could play with, I suppose).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #669
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Fair warning. It doesn't happen very often but one of my Sansa Fuze got bricked by Rockbox. My son and I could not get it to work again. I know this is a very rare occurance, but it can happen.
But my son loves Rockbox. I need the stock firmware for audio books though.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #670
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What can Rockbox do that stock can't?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #671
jeffrx
jeffrx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT 4B
Rockbox can play FLAC and OGG files. It is very configurable. You can choose how your music/book are filed. I have never heard any incident of the DRM capabilities of stock OS being harmed by Rockbox. You can switch between stock OS and Rockbox easily. It does have a bit of a learning curve and is not for every one. I am an avid Linux user and love to tinker with all things digital. Comprehensive manual here:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...box-build.html
jeffrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #672
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Rockbox can play FLAC and OGG files. It is very configurable. You can choose how your music/book are filed. I have never heard any incident of the DRM capabilities of stock OS being harmed by Rockbox. You can switch between stock OS and Rockbox easily. It does have a bit of a learning curve and is not for every one. I am an avid Linux user and love to tinker with all things digital. Comprehensive manual here:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...box-build.html
But the Clip Zip can already play FLAC and Ogg files.

I'm still not seeing exactly what the point is, even after looking at some of the links provided (though I haven't tried to wade through the entire manual).

Last edited by Catlady; 12-17-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #673
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
But the Clip Zip can already play FLAC and Ogg files.

I'm still not seeing exactly what the point is, even after looking at some of the links provided (though I haven't tried to wade through the entire manual).
There really isn't one. The Stock firmware does everything a person needs it to. Why make things more complicated when most of us buy the Clips to to listen to Overdrive Audiobooks and Audible. Also you probably void your warranty when changing the firmware.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #674
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I have never heard any incident of the DRM capabilities of stock OS being harmed by Rockbox.
It's right in the manual under installation it says:
Quote:

DRM capability.
It is possible that installation of the bootloader may lead to you permanently losing the ability to playback files with DRM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #675
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
What can Rockbox do that stock can't?
You can put rocks in it

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote