Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
How to resist?

Hello! I need help to resist Sony 650. Until recently they were approx. 270 - 280 euro here. Today I saw one for 235 euro. Which is some 324 USD. I mean I don't need it AT ALL. I drool, I fancy it big time but I already have my little Opus which does the job perfectly well. I'm like a kid in a toy shop, throwing a tantrum "I WANT THIS WAH WAH WAH" but reality is I don't need it.

I always wanted it though but wasn't sure if it would read my language fonts. Opus does. But after some resistance I read books in English anyway. Is the USD price above a lot? Couldn't really google recent price in USD to compare. And what if they will release the wifi Sony later this year? And if I buy it now I will have to read under cover as my dahling husband will never understand why I want it. Because!!!!! I basically need a victim to tell me "buy it now" to have somebody to blame And darn it, they had a blue 650 here but now only silver ones are left.

Anyone?
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
...I basically need a victim to tell me "buy it now" ...
Buy it now
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
I'm the wrong one to ask, I am wondering how I justify buying more books and tellling hubby that we will be having beans and franks three times this coming week.

Maybe I can buy a turkey and bake it, that is so much cheaper and nicer than beans and franks.

So, I guess it is go buy it,
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
This isn't going to stiffen your resolve, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Has anyone mentioned the dictionaries yet? You price things in Euros and tell us that you read in English, so I'd guess that one of the European languages is your native tongue.

The 650 has language dictionaries for French, Italian, Spanish, German, and Dutch. When you're not sure what a word means in a book, you tap twice on the word and a little box with the translated word pops up. Another tap and you're back in your book again. There are also two English dictionaries that will give you the word's definition. You can choose which of the dictionaries is your default. I haven't tried to read anything in other languages on mine, but believe that the Sony will display most European fonts.

Come on, you know you want it...
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Brian M
Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Brian M has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: PRS-950
I sold a bunch of stuff I didn't use anymore to afford mine (950), since my wife is the only one currently employed I felt guilty spending the money she earns on a toy. Maybe that's a way to mitigate the price?

Directly from Sony, the 650 is 167 Euro here in the US ($230usd).
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Buy it! You do need it. It may not be absolutely clear WHY you need it, but I'm 100% sure you do!
And I need to hear that you bought it, cause it makes me feel better about the Nook I bought even thou I didn't need it, just wanted it... (Haven't received it yet)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Get it, if you can get one.
I'm waiting for mine since Jannuary, 16th, and it is still backorderd!
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally, I disagree Chi with what has been said already. Like the Sony PRS, that's fine. Next imagine a realistic price you want to pay for that Sony and wait, somewhere someone will sell you that Sony PRS for that price that you have come up with. Its a matter of time. I am not trying to disuade you from the Sony PRS that you covet its the price tag that I am trying to disuade you from paying. Perhaps 200 euros is a better price or perhaps you would preferr to pay 150 euros, somewhere someone will sell you that Sony PRS for that price, you need to be patient. The best that I can do is 416 euros so oyu are seeing great prices, just hold out for the price you want.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all, each and everyone, I mean it. Here I was sitting sulking a bit, thinking I posted something silly (well yes) and there was no reply. Until now. I had a good laugh too. But... it's all fine but how can you persuade a woman to be patient when she wants something? My husband just silently nods with a philosophical look (dunno why) By the way 1 hour after I posted the thread he came to my room and demanded I hand him my credit card for the night. He sniffed it that I'm plotting something. (all joking of course) My Opus froze today and he told me it is probably because Opus overheard I was talking of Sony. Ahem.
On another note, don't you think it's a bit suspicious that the stock is getting low everywhere as we speak AND they lower the prices? Doesn't it look like they want to clear the shelves? And the conspiracy theory behind it would be...?

Actually my first post occured because I wonder why many people have so many readers... you can use only 1 at the time??? And for example all the Sony models? Why people collect ereaders?

Thanks Krow (MWAHAHAHA!!!)
Janette For me books are ok it's the reader he'll be whiny about. Did you consider cooking rice? Now that's cheap
Polly oh yes I DO! Indeed dictionary would be handy. Opus has no frills.
Asawi that was fun. So you need a victim too I will see what I can do
Brian, that's a great price. But today I had a look at sonystyle us and it is out of stock...
Mark, and your local shops don't sell it? There is a bunch of prs gathering dust on a shelf next to the floor in local FNAC.
jbcohen - I understand. For me even a 100 euro is unjustified now. My desire is completely illogical. I can afford it, the question is why would I throw money out of the window (trying to be all grown up Mr Spock-like here)
Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I haven't seen any indication that they're lowering the prices. In fact they seem to have increased a bit over the six months I've been watching, at least in the sense that I haven't seen the PRS-650 in stock anywhere that is discounting, since before Christmas - and even if you're willing to pay MSRP they are not easy to find. Back before Christmas there were several good sales and they seemed easier to find in stock, but now? Good luck.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
I haven't seen any indication that they're lowering the prices. In fact they seem to have increased a bit over the six months . . .
The PRS-350 went from 159 to 129 only a few weeks back, apparently because it was overstocked during the holidays and everyone was going for the 650.

Gradually, here on this forum folks started talking up the PRS-350 and pointing out that it really wasn't a bad little reader at all, quite nice in fact.

As a result of this, and the shortage of 650s, Sony's sales on the 350 have picked up.

And what is our reward for helping Sony to improve their Sales on the 350?

NOW Sony has raised the price to $179 (USD) HIGHER THAN IT'S EVER BEEN.

I have had extremely positive things to say about the 350, 650 in the past, but that's because I paid $129 and $199 (USD), and though high, those prices were at least within the bounds of credibility.

With them now playing OBVIOUS PRICE GOUGING GAMES, I personally will no longer recommend them, and will be looking at another alternative when my Sony needs to be replaced.

Actions have consequences, and Sony needs to learn that price gouging in a down economy will not make them either money or friends.

I suggest that ALL potential buyers boycott Sony until their prices return to reasonable levels.

Last edited by delphin; 03-12-2011 at 02:01 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quick, go for the "silver" i.e. aluminium, one - it looks such a great piece of engineering, it isn't plasticy.
If nothing else, it looks worth the money !

I love it.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
The PRS-350 went from 159 to 129 only a few weeks back, apparently because it was overstocked during the holidays and everyone was going for the 650.

Gradually, here on this forum folks started talking up the PRS-350 and pointing out that it really wasn't a bad little reader at all, quite nice in fact.

As a result of this, and the shortage of 650s, Sony's sales on the 350 have picked up.

WTF???

Do you really think that solely as a result of people talking up the 350 on this site that sales picked up? That's laughable. There are many reasons people would buy the 350 without having ever heard of Mobile Read.

Quote:
And what is our reward for helping Sony to improve their Sales on the 350?

NOW Sony has raised the price to $179 (USD) HIGHER THAN IT'S EVER BEEN.

OUR reward??? Full of yourself much?

The price of the 350 when it was first released was $179. It was then put on sale around the holidays for $159 and then dropped to $129 until Valentines Day. It's now back at it's normal price of $179.

Price gouging? Hardly.

Quote:
I have had extremely positive things to say about the 350, 650 in the past, but that's because I paid $129 and $199 (USD), and though high, those prices were at least within the bounds of credibility.

With them now playing OBVIOUS PRICE GOUGING GAMES, I personally will no longer recommend them, and will be looking at another alternative when my Sony needs to be replaced.

Actions have consequences, and Sony needs to learn that price gouging in a down economy will not make them either money or friends.

I suggest that ALL potential buyers boycott Sony until their prices return to reasonable levels.

Do you have proof that they dropped the price of the 350's because they had overstock from the holidays and 'everyone' was going for the 650 or are you just making wild accusations here?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they dropped the price of the 350 because there were no 650's and rather than having a potential buyer walk away they enticed them with a really good sale price on their other unit?

Boycott until prices return to reasonable? Companies are allowed to set their own prices and have sales on their items without asking anyone's permission. But you go ahead and knock yourself out. lol
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Quick, go for the "silver" i.e. aluminium, one - it looks such a great piece of engineering, it isn't plasticy.
If nothing else, it looks worth the money !

I love it.
I already fiddled with it in the shop. Twice. It's why I drool. Here they definitely lowered the prices, it was almost 300 euro, it went down to 235. I wonder if the remaining 4 items (all silver) are the last available all around.

By the way, how is it with ADE, will it refuse Sony as I had Opus connected? Or will I have to add another account? It is still mystery to me. I would like to hook it up to my computer and read books I already have on the Opus. Is it possible?

I'm resisting it very well indeed. Spent last night choosing skin from Decalgirl, you know just in case...

If I can't hold on anymore I will go to shop on Monday. Sunday here everything is closed. Very inconvenient.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
WTF???

Boycott until prices return to reasonable? Companies are allowed to set their own prices and have sales on their items without asking anyone's permission. But you go ahead and knock yourself out. lol
Yep, and consumers have a right to organize and pressure them to return the prices to reasonable levels.

As to the shortage of 650s vs availability of 350s, anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the past few months noticed that 650s were in extremely short supply in the last weeks leading up to years end (and still are) while 350s were readily available.

Quote:
Do you have proof that they dropped the price of the 350's because they had overstock from the holidays and 'everyone' was going for the 650 or are you just making wild accusations here?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they dropped the price of the 350 because there were no 650's and rather than having a potential buyer walk away they enticed them with a really good sale price on their other unit?
Huh???

How is what you said in the second paragraph fundamentally different than what I said?
Clearly, Sony noticed that there weren't enough 650s - Lot's of 350s - so let's push the 350.

I never said that there was anything insidious or bad about this, if anything, your comment's imply a darker picture, since you are basically saying that Sony was trying to manipulate buyers into accepting something other than their first choice so they don't "walk away".

Like you, I was simply commenting that Sony probably had reasons for wanting to push the 350, I didn't say there was ANYTHING bad about them dropping the price of the 350 to do so.

I'm just not so happy about watching them pushing the price back up, because given the trend in the e-reader market, I don't think such a move can't be justified.

I think the problem is that now they are ALSO running short on 350s, and some idiot at Sony doesn't want to look like twice as big of moron for drastically under stocking BOTH the 650 -AND- the 350.

And lastly -

Yes I DO think this forum has a HUGE impact on Sony sales.

Rightly or wrongly, Sony doesn't have anywhere near the name recognition of the Kindle, nor Kindle's slick national advertising, nor its word of mouth buzz.

Nor do I think Sony's 'brand loyalty' as a so-called 'premium brand' goes very far these days
(I see Samsung HDTV sets selling at parity prices to Sony at my local retailers)

I've had some great Sony products over the years, but just as many that were overpriced DOGS, so there is no way in hell I would pay Sony's premium prices (even discounted premium prices) for one of their readers without doing some research first.

I think most others feel the same way, and anyone who Googles around a little will all most certainly end up reading this forum.

As to why I think that jacking the price of the PRS-x50 series readers back up into the stratosphere, can't be justified . . .

Does the Sony 350 or 650 have the Nook or Kindle's WiFi or 3G? - NO
(the 950 does, but it's TWICE THE PRICE)

Do the Sony's have the Nooks easily replaceable battery? - NO

Or Kindles "Text to Speech"? - NO

Nooks built in games? - NO

The ONE thing the Sony has going for it, other than possibly a small edge in build quality, that makes up for all those other missing features, is a really nice touch screen interface.

Sure, if the Sony had ALL the features above PLUS that 'nice touch screen interface' then they would be justified in charging more than all the others.

But as it is, it's a give and take trade-off, you GIVE UP WiFi, 3G, Games, Web Browsing and wireless book purchases, all to get that touch screen.

I think that this is a GOOD trade-off, and that the Sony Readers offer a good value at prices in the same range as the Nook and Kindle, but does not in my opinion justify ridiculous 'premium brand' price gouging.

Last edited by delphin; 03-13-2011 at 09:59 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote