Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
da2zoe
Book Addict
da2zoe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color Rooted
Tether NC to Galaxy S Phone?

I really appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm such a newbie to all this rooting and technical stuff and it's great how helpful everyone is.

So...I would like to tether my NC to my Samsung Fascinate if possible. I've done some Google searches on this so I believe it's doable but I need step-by-step instructions. Does my phone need to be rooted, too?

I spend a lot of time at my friend's house but her hubby is weird about letting other devices into their secured network thinking they will corrupt the network. He's a strange paranoid guy and one of those who thinks he knows all about computers and stuff - but I know more than he does and that's saying a lot.

Oh ya, I have a Mac.

da2zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
If you phone offers Mobile WiFi Hotspot, that'd be the best option, no need to mess with cables. It was introduced in 2.2, I don't know what your phone runs.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
reyluree
reyluree began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
On my HTC Incredible I can enable a 3G Hotspot that works great with my Nook.

For the Fascinate to work (I think), you need to enable an AdHoc WiFi on your Nook??

They have instructions on how to do that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=868354

Last edited by reyluree; 02-21-2011 at 06:04 PM.
reyluree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
da2zoe
Book Addict

Those instruction look very thorough but also scary. I get nervous any time I need Terminal to do stuff. Took me forever to root my NC but discovered it was pretty painless.

When I gather more courage, I'll give it a go and let you know how it worked out. Thanks for you help.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
da2zoe
Book Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
If you phone offers Mobile WiFi Hotspot, that'd be the best option, no need to mess with cables. It was introduced in 2.2, I don't know what your phone runs.
I probably need to do the adhoc thing like ryluree suggested because for some stupid reason the Samsung Fascinate isn't up to froyo yet. My phone is running on 2.1. Owners are persistently bugging Samsung to get some of the Galaxy S phones on 2.2
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
reyluree
reyluree began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Here is a another how-to for enabling AdHoc WiFi on the nook:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Enable_Adhoc_Networking

It also has steps that disables/enables wifi when the screen is shut off/on automatically which eliminated the need to do this manually that I have had to do lately....
reyluree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It is possible to connect your nook to a phone, I currently tether my nook to my Vibrante(Galaxy S) phone all the time. However the answer is a bit more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da2zoe View Post
So...I would like to tether my NC to my Samsung Fascinate if possible. I've done some Google searches on this so I believe it's doable but I need step-by-step instructions. Does my phone need to be rooted, too?

The only possible way to connect a nook to a network is through WI-FI. That would mean that you would have to use "Mobile AP" to tether your phone to any WI-FI enabled device.

This feature was provided by Google on the 2.2(Froyo) platform. Since the Fascinate is still on 2.1 you do not have this option.

Rumor has it that Verizon/Samsung has 2.2 for the Fascinate in the works and Mobile AP will be part of the update. The bad news is they plan to add an additional $15.. or is it $20 for this feature. As it stands today both Sprint and Verizon offer Mobile AP for some of their 2.2 phones but charge for this feature. T-Mobile does not charge for this features.

Most Galaxy S phones are still stuck on 2.1, Vibrant/Fascinate included. What I did was to upgrade my phone by flashing a new ROM. My primary motivate for flashing the ROM was not for Mobile AP, but because the Vibrant was very unstable. I was rebooting my phone every two days and the GPS did not work. One of the added benefits was that the ROM I picked also had Mobile AP as part of the package. I love this feature, tethering has never been easier. Last night my wife and I where at a hotel. I tethered both my nook and my laptop(for her) both on my phone. The speed was excellent and we experienced no lag.

The bad news is that it ROMing a phone is a bit more complicated than rooting a nook and requires a few more steps. Not only do you have to root your phone, you also have to select a ROM, then install the ROM. The whole process took me 4 hrs this includes researching, Rooting, downloading the ROM, and installing the ROM.

Executive Summary
Okay in case I lost you above here are the options in short.
1) Wait until the Fascinate is updated and pay $15/$20 additionally a month.
2) Root/ROM your phone.
3) Convince your friends husband to give you access
4) Do nothing.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
da2zoe
Book Addict

Quote:
Executive Summary
Okay in case I lost you above here are the options in short.
1) Wait until the Fascinate is updated and pay $15/$20 additionally a month.
2) Root/ROM your phone.
3) Convince your friends husband to give you access
4) Do nothing.
Your summary made laugh. I wondered if it would be a beastly process and now I'm quite sure I won't do all that. I've researched rooting my phone and see it is very complicated. I'm don't really understand the whole ROM thing (and I know there's a clockworkmod thing too). My brain kinda shuts off when I start reading about all those options. Sounds ridiculous, but it took me 2 weeks to get up the nerve to root my NC...

This forum is very helpful but I'm a strong visual learner and it's hard to do things I've never done before - and don't really understand - from only written descriptions.

For the life of me, cannot figure out what Samsung's deal is with getting 2.2 on Galaxy phones...and to be honest I'm not willing to pay the extra $20 for the feature to tether. Just because it's a smart phone I already have to pay extra, but I do get unlimited access for web/downloads, texting and minutes and that's enough for me.

As far as my friend's husband...well, I'm not holding my breath but I'm going to approach him about access one more time.

Tags
galaxy s, tether