Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
michaelernst
michaelernst began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader PRS 350
Request for Le Monde Diplo En archive recipe

I love Darko Miletic's recipe for Le Monde Diplomatique English Edition. It works great, but is only able to download the most recent edition.

Would it be possible for Darko, or anyone else, to modify this recipe to allow access to past editions via the archive?

The structure of the archived editions is http://mondediplo.com/YYYY/MM/, so I think it should be simple, but what do I know.

A big thank you in advance for anyone who can provide a recipe to access the Le Monde archive.

Michael
michaelernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelernst View Post
I love Darko Miletic's recipe for Le Monde Diplomatique English Edition. It works great, but is only able to download the most recent edition.

Would it be possible for Darko, or anyone else, to modify this recipe to allow access to past editions via the archive?

The structure of the archived editions is http://mondediplo.com/YYYY/MM/, so I think it should be simple, but what do I know.

A big thank you in advance for anyone who can provide a recipe to access the Le Monde archive.

Michael
I just thought of something, not sure if calibre supports it or not. You know how when required to login to a site we use the function calls to read data from the username/password text boxes and pass the variable to the function? Is there a way to prompt the user for input, or even store custom data say for instance field1 or field2.... and then read from that information?

So, like this user wants the archives for say 1995 Aug. they could simply run the recipe and it prompt for the year and month. if nothing is changed it defaults to the current feed.
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No there isn't. recipes are designed to run non interactively. That's not to say that I could not add pre configured settings per recipe, but at the moment the only ones are username and password. You can ofcourse overload them to pass in other data.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No there isn't. recipes are designed to run non interactively. That's not to say that I could not add pre configured settings per recipe, but at the moment the only ones are username and password. You can ofcourse overload them to pass in other data.
I've considered overloading them, but then you have a recipe that the user gets confused about - he has to enter something into user/pass before the recipe will run.

I'd love a third option, like "recipe_data" that will appear when we set:
uses_recipe_data = True
and will populate with a default from the recipe, so the user can see the settings, but will store/overwrite the settings when modified by the user.
A simple dictionary of settings the recipe author wants to allow the user to set should be clear enough. The instructions for use can be provided in the displayed recipe description and the dictionary of settings:values could appear in front of them in a recipe_data window. If no action is taken to change them, they can remain as default set by the recipe author.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah, I agree it would be something nice to have, I just have other priorities at the moment.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah, I agree it would be something nice to have, I just have other priorities at the moment.
Stick to those priorities - if I want it, I'll write it and submit it. I was just sort of thinking out loud.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelernst View Post

When I asked about this nobody whas interrested so I did nothing. In any case until kovid modifies backend and GUI of calibre no recipe can have custom data settings.

Something might be doable from command line but I'm not in mood to work on this right now.

You can however do quick modification of the recipe by yourself:

locate this line:

Quote:
INDEX = PREFIX + strftime('%Y/%m/')
and modify to desired archive date (for example):

Quote:
INDEX = PREFIX + '2009/11/'
another option is to change computer time to the period you want issue to be, start calibre, do the download and change back the time.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote