Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Updated ebooks from Amazon

If you know there is an updated version of an ebook you have bought from Amazon, how do you download the new version? If you re-download it you just get the old one.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Amazon sends an email to folks that have purchased the updated ebook. You have to say "Yes" to receive the new version b/c it (apparently) wipes out your notes/annotations/highlights.

If you don't get an email, contact Customer Support - the update has to be sent to you by Amazon to replace the older version in your Archive.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I rang CS about this a while ago. Apparently they only send out the e-mails if it's a major change (the example he gave was missing pages that had been added). If they haven't sent you an e-mail, you can ring CS and ask them to update your copy. They will also be able to tell you which of your books have updates.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there somewhere you can click online to say you want a new version, like on the product page?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not as far as I know - I think you have to contact CS. If you find anything like that, let me know.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Is there somewhere you can click online to say you want a new version, like on the product page?
That would be a nice feature to have, anyhow.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The issue with updates is that it is a completely different book file, and if you had taken notes/annotations on the original file, those notes will not match the new file; and worse, your annotations will be deleted entirely. It's a problem that doesn't have a solution yet.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I just went through this with all my Delphi Classics books. I had to call each time they updated and it was a royal pain. I also still got the old copy even after CS had said they sent out the new one. Finally, I had a 30% coupon for the Delphi Classics webstore itself and the books were all in the $1.99-2.99 range anyway, so I shelled out the $20 (full price minus the coupon) to replace them. I use these books enough, and they are updated frequently enough, that I just couldn't face calling up Amazon every week and going through that hassle for a $2 book.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I just went through this with all my Delphi Classics books. I had to call each time they updated and it was a royal pain. I also still got the old copy even after CS had said they sent out the new one. Finally, I had a 30% coupon for the Delphi Classics webstore itself and the books were all in the $1.99-2.99 range anyway, so I shelled out the $20 (full price minus the coupon) to replace them. I use these books enough, and they are updated frequently enough, that I just couldn't face calling up Amazon every week and going through that hassle for a $2 book.
How do you buy something you have already bought? I just get a note telling me to look for it in my archived items.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
How do you buy something you have already bought? I just get a note telling me to look for it in my archived items.
That's not how it works. You essentially return the first ebook, Amazon refunds your money, then you buy the book again.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Amazon sends an email to folks that have purchased the updated ebook. You have to say "Yes" to receive the new version b/c it (apparently) wipes out your notes/annotations/highlights.

I think there is such an email only if the author/publisher requests it. That is true at least of books published through Kindle Direct Publishing.

The update does indeed set the dial back to zero, eliminating any notes and synchronization.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I mean, I bought it again but not from Amazon.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote