Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Kindle user says Amazon remotely wiped her whole library [UPDATED: see first post]

You can read about it here (I got the news, and the link, from boingboing.net):

http://www.bekkelund.net/2012/10/22/...by-amazon-drm/

Saying that this is very disturbing is an understatement.
------------------------
UPDATE [Nov 16]
This thread has gradually morphed into a discussion of a proposal for an alternative "social DRM" scheme that leaves to media buyers the freedom to copy and share files, with limitations. If you are interested, you can find the last version of the proposal in post #356 at page 24.
------------------------
UPDATE [Oct 23]:
1) it now seems that remote deletion did not actually occur;
2) it's confirmed that Amazon closed the account due to unspecified "association" with another, previously blocked one, then refused to give any explanation to the user;
3) Amazon (due to the resonance this story is getting?) reactivated the account, again without any explanation.
You can find an update (it's in Norwegian, but if you use Google Translate you get a seemingly good translation) here:
http://www.nrk.no/kultur-og-underholdning/1.8368487

Last edited by BoldlyDubious; 11-16-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: update
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Holy Smokes! I've heard of them removing books before, but not a whole library. I've never trusted Amazon, they think they have too much control over your items. She paid for those books and that Kindle, I hope they are planning to refund her money.

I only buy books from Amazon as a last resort, those which are available on Amazon only. Now I may have to re-think that.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
She lives in Norway. Is she legally allowed to buy ebooks from EITHER Amazon.co.uk OR Amazon.com?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Perhaps she has an address in the states also. The author did say she traveled a lot. Notice the Amazon rep kept mentioning Amazon.co.uk and she said she uses Amazon.com. He wasn't even reading her message.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
It happened to someone who posted in the Amazon forum. His account was fully reinstated.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173468
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
She lives in Norway. Is she legally allowed to buy ebooks from EITHER Amazon.co.uk OR Amazon.com?
In my view, the problem is not where she lives or what she did or did not. It lies in the fact that what happened -assuming the link tells the story correctly, of course- illustrates the absolute power that the providers of DRM'd media have over their users.
The stated reason for Amazon's action was that the user's account was "related" to another one that had been blocked for unspecified reasons. When the user asked Amazon

" Is it correct that you cannot give me any information about
1. How my account is linked to the blocked account
2. The name/id of the related blocked account
3. What policy that was violated"

she got no response.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
In my view, the problem is not where she lives or what she did or did not. It lies in the fact that what happened -assuming the link tells the story correctly, of course- illustrates the absolute power that the providers of DRM'd media have over their users.
And this is why Apprentice Alf and his bunch are your friends. Trusting any corporation with your data is...unwise

Clouds are good. Local backups are better.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Call me paranoid, but I never turn on my kindle's wifi, and I will never use the cloud. With the use of technology, it's inevitable you will leave a trail of data. But I take steps to minimize it. Corporations do not need to know everything about me or have access to all my data. You've got to watch these seemingly benign, yet insideous, assaults on one's privacy. Next thing you know we're living in (insert your favorite dystopic book or film here).
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Every book I buy is stripped and backed up on multiple drives. If they want my books they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Every book I buy is stripped and backed up on multiple drives. If they want my books they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands.
Apache
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Also reading this story on the Consumerist:

http://consumerist.com/2012/10/22/am...-else-to-shop/
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
No Kindle for me, but I do the same. "The corporation is your friend," eh?

Last edited by no.guru; 10-22-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: derp
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That's just awful of Amazon to do this to people. Amazon could be wrong. But Amazon should be giving the person details of what the problem is according to them. This is one very good reason not to buy a Kindle. Amazon, you blew it big time here and I'll stick with my ePub capable device instead of risking my eBooks with you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

eP
oh good, one more reason for a merry DRM-free Caliber library. I feel a bit sorry for these kind of ignorant consumers, but not much: ignorance must be punished.

if you ever don't want anymore my brazilian money you just tell, Amazon
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I think reading a story very similar to this put me off buying a Kindle before a few years ago so it's not a unique story, as I understand it if you're unlucky enough to have someone living or lived in the same building as you who has been banned, you might get banned as well.

I don't think that guy ever managed to get Amazon to reverse it, once you're banned it seems you're banned forever and lose everything. I think in the case I remember it was due to a family member
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote