Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Cake Cutting Puzzle

• You have an ordinary, round, fruit cake.
  • You have an ordinary, straight, cake knife.
  • You need to cut the cake into eight equal* pieces.
  • You are only allowed three** cuts with the knife.
No doubt you're thinking that this is another old chestnut of a puzzle. But I'm adding a twist of a new condition:
  • Each of the eight pieces must be as tall as the original cake. So no slicing the cake in half horizontally!
Answers in
Spoiler:
spoiler tags
please.

*So as to avoid arguments as to who's got the biggest piece.
**No, you can't have four cuts. Then we wouldn't have a puzzle!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Would something like this be allowed:

Spoiler:
1. Cut the cake in half.

2. Stack the two halves, one on top of the other.

3. Cut the stack into half (so now you have four pieces).

4. Stack the four pieces one on top of the other.

5. Cut in half again.

This is just off the top of my head. No doubt, there's an objection to it somewhere.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
This is just off the top of my head. No doubt, there's an objection to it somewhere.
Sounds reasonable to me. I'm still stumped on the bigger puzzle: why people would willingly wish to consume fruit cake?
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm stumped by ROUND fruit cake! All the fruit cake I've ever seen is rectangular! Perfect for door stops!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Is this cheating?

Spoiler:
Cut the cake in half = 1 cut
Stack the 2 pieces and cut in half again = 2nd cut
Stack the 4 pieces and cut in half again = 3rd cut

Or do all pieces have to remain on the same level?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Would something like this be allowed:

Spoiler:
1. Cut the cake in half.

2. Stack the two halves, one on top of the other.

3. Cut the stack into half (so now you have four pieces).

4. Stack the four pieces one on top of the other.

5. Cut in half again.

Yes, that's right. I didn't say it was very difficult, just not the usual answer. Congratulations!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Is this cheating?

Spoiler:
Cut the cake in half = 1 cut
Stack the 2 pieces and cut in half again = 2nd cut
Stack the 4 pieces and cut in half again = 3rd cut

Or do all pieces have to remain on the same level?
Congratulations to you, too. That's a right answer.

Spoiler:
It's not actually necessary to stack the two halves after the first cut; you can just make the second cut at right angles to the first to get the four quarters, and then just do the stacking once.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm stumped by ROUND fruit cake! All the fruit cake I've ever seen is rectangular! Perfect for door stops!
Square fruit cake? The USA is even more strange than I thought!

Although I must admit that I'd much rather have a Victoria Sandwich Cake or a Madeira Cake than a fruit cake. Or Devil's Food Cake.... yum.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Spoiler:
Cutting into pieces involves sharing.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Spoiler:
Cutting into pieces involves sharing.
A good attempt, but not the right answer
Old 07-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
[QUOTE=pdurrant;988169]
No doubt you're thinking that this is another old chestnut of a puzzle. But I'm adding a twist of a new condition:
  • Each of the eight pieces must be as tall as the original cake. So no slicing the cake in half horizontally!
Answers in
Spoiler:
spoiler tags
please.

Spoiler:

Cut once lengthwise from the top down. Cut again crosswise from top to bottom. Then cut diagonally from one top edge through the center onto the bottom directly opposite the top cut.
eight pieces, three cuts all equal height and volume.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Answers in
Spoiler:
spoiler tags
please.
Spoiler:

Cut once lengthwise from the top down. Cut again crosswise from top to bottom. Then cut diagonally from one top edge through the center onto the bottom directly opposite the top cut.
eight pieces, three cuts all equal height and volume.
I had to go and try it (although not with fruit cake). I'm afraid your solution doesn't work. Your pieces aren't equal. The bottom two pieces on the side you start the cut and the top two pieces on the side you end the cut are full height and equal, but they are bigger than the other four pieces which are only half the height of the original cake.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Square fruit cake? The USA is even more strange than I thought!

Although I must admit that I'd much rather have a Victoria Sandwich Cake or a Madeira Cake than a fruit cake. Or Devil's Food Cake.... yum.
Now I really fancy a nice rich fruit cake with apricot jam, marzipan and royal icing

But I'll settle for any cake!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
I had to go and try it (although not with fruit cake). I'm afraid your solution doesn't work. Your pieces aren't equal. The bottom two pieces on the side you start the cut and the top two pieces on the side you end the cut are full height and equal, but they are bigger than the other four pieces which are only half the height of the original cake.
I realized that it wouldn't work shortly after posting but the correct solution looks like it would make a mess.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Spoiler:
From above the cake cut it in half with a vertical cut. Then half these two halves (while they are still in the original position) with a vertical cut from above. Then stack all those four pieces on top of each other vertically, all in the same direction. Cut these four pieces in half with one downward cut. Now there are eight equal pieces.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote