Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Crime Fiction Recommendations

I am a big Michael Connelly fan and have all his novels on ebook. Crime fiction is pretty much all I read. Anyone else have some favorite crime fiction authors?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
True Crime or mystery in general?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mystery. True crime would be good too though.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tana French of "In the Woods" fame is a writer I enjoy, though I had serious issues with the ending of that book. I bought her second book, so clearly she had something going for her.

I also like Lisa Scottoline - hard boiled mystery fiction from a woman's POV... and a thriller author named Allison Brennan (a NY Times best-seller and personal acquaintance).
Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I also like Lawrence Block and Robert Crais, who write somewhat similarly to Michael Connelly.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

I'll second Lawrence Block.

More...

John leCarre is an oldie but goody IMO.

John Hart who had a big debut success with "King of Lies" has a good syle. I enjoyed the book even though it was more of a Why Done It than a whodunit.

Martin Cruz Smith always has a strong character-driven mystery plot.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
I am a big Michael Connelly fan and have all his novels on ebook. Crime fiction is pretty much all I read. Anyone else have some favorite crime fiction authors?
In no particular order -

Charlie Parker series by John Connolly
In Death series by J.D. Robb
Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben
Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais
Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
No particular order:

G. M. Ford
Robert Parker
Dashiell Hammett
Raymond Chandler
J.A. Jance
Ridley Pearson
Earl Emerson
Harlan Coben

Last edited by Donnageddon; 06-07-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added to the list
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Lawrence Block, Michael Connelly and I'll toss in Stephen Greenleaf as my current favorites. Those are the ones I've cared enough to reread. Ray Bradbury also wrote a great mystery if you haven't read it - "Death is a Lonely Business"

I also like R.D. Wingfield, Charles Todd, James Lee Burke, the Kellermans, Dennis Lehane and Reginald Hill though I don't feel any inclination to reread them. And I haven't read them in a while but I used to love Robert Barnard "Death of a Mystery Writer", Eric Ambler "A Coffin for Dimitrios" (kinda spy/mystery story though), A. Conan Doyle and Dorothy Sayers. I read those back before I found fantasy and then science fiction.

Last edited by wayspooled; 06-08-2009 at 01:55 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Two of my favorites:

The Miss Marple stories by Agatha Christie (I don't like Poirot or the others).
The Brother Cadfael stories by Ellis Peters.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #11
benham
Guru

Michael Connelly, Jeffery Deaver and James Lee Burke would top my list. Others like Crais, Coben, Block, Connolly and LeHane have been mentioned. Stephen J Cannell, Steve Hamilton, Craig Johnson, William Kent Krueger and Randy Wayne White are also very good. Carl Haaisen and Ben Reider add some weird (in a good way) humor to there stories.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some contemporary British crime authors I'd recommend are:

Ian Rankin (Rebus).
Colin Dexter (Morse).
Ruth Rendell (Wexford).
P.D. James (Dalgliesh)
Peter Robinson (Banks)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
My favourites:

Robert B Parker (Spenser series & Jesse Stone Series)
Andrew Bergman (jack Levine mysteries, 3 in all ranging from the 70's to present day)
Richard Stark (The Parker series)
Anything and everything by Elmore Leonard
Leigh Brackett (famous for her sci-fi, but wrote some amazing standalone crime books in the 1940's)
James M Cain (my all time favourite crime writer, especially the Postman Always Rings Twice)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:55 AM   #14
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I'm not a big mystery fan, but right now I'm in the middle of "Death By Bikini, by Linda Gerber. I'm enjoying it so far, though I have to admit it was the word bikini that originally caught my interest.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
benham
Guru

Harry have you read Dick Francis?

Tags
mystery ebooks, thriller