Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #5416
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Fan art

[click on the graphic for a larger size]

Codex Alera/Dresden Files Last Supper Jim is at the center with Kitai, Isana, Bernard, Amara, Ehren, Fidelius, and Tavi (Codex Alera) to his right and Harry, Karrin, Thomas, Ebenezer, Molly, Lea, and Mouse (Dresden Files) to his left.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #5417
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Grin...

Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #5418
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I thought part of Harry's charm was he usually looked well worn, a bit scruffy and at times almost beaten to death.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:18 PM   #5419
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
[click on the graphic for a larger size]

Codex Alera/Dresden Files Last Supper Jim is at the center with Kitai, Isana, Bernard, Amara, Ehren, Fidelius, and Tavi (Codex Alera) to his right and Harry, Karrin, Thomas, Ebenezer, Molly, Lea, and Mouse (Dresden Files) to his left.
Nice!

Quote:
Huh?
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #5420
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

He plays well in Castle, but not sure it be a good fit for Harry. A bit too polished face, and if Harry is performing just like Richard it wouldn't be good, IMPO. But then, maybe the actor is good enough to be a convincing Harry (ignoring looks right now).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 AM   #5421
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files "Holding Out for a Hero"

Published on Mar 28, 2012 by NevillesGran1

This song is Harry Dresden's personal soundtrack. To be specific, it's what he imagines everyone else is thinking, 24/7, and he's just trying to be the titular hero. All the time. Lucky for us, he's freaking badass. [says NevillesGran1]

Old 01-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #5422
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
I think Nathan Fillion would be fine in the role as Harry although he's gotten a little, let's just say, pudgy, these days. If he were to get down to his Firefly/Serenity weight, I'd think it would work. While I love James Marsters as Harry in the audio books, he just doesn't have the look of Harry to me. When I listen or read the books, I hear James Marsters, but I see Paul Blackthorne.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #5423
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
I think Nathan Fillion would be fine in the role as Harry although he's gotten a little, let's just say, pudgy, these days. If he were to get down to his Firefly/Serenity weight, I'd think it would work. While I love James Marsters as Harry in the audio books, he just doesn't have the look of Harry to me. When I listen or read the books, I hear James Marsters, but I see Paul Blackthorne.
I love Nathan Fillion! He could play a bar of soap and I'd watch! However, he already has a job as Castle!

As for Masters, maybe if he went dark brown instead of blonde, he might work.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #5424
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I love Nathan Fillion! He could play a bar of soap and I'd watch! However, he already has a job as Castle!

That is too funny.
There are several actors/actresses I feel the same way about and I don't watch much TV.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #5425
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Murphy (Kristen Bell) & Mouse...

Old 01-30-2015, 01:16 AM   #5426
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
That is too funny.
There are several actors/actresses I feel the same way about and I don't watch much TV.
Most TV I watch comes out of the dvr - much easier to skip the commercials that way.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #5427
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
That is too funny.
We don't watch much either.
We actually canceled our satellite in December of 2013, and have been watching shows via Netflix, Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime - when the mood hits.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 AM   #5428
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Yes, she's the actress who played Murphy in the tv show, and a weak spot of the show IMHO. The white hair guy is Bob the skull and looks and acts so much like Tim Curry that they could be brothers. Imagine my surprise to find out it's the same actor from the "Critters" series of movies from the 80's. He makes a great Bob and if they ever do another series and use a regular skull, he'd be perfect as the voice of Bob. The other gentleman is the actor who plays Donald Morgan and does a fine job.

And of course, Paul Blackthorne is Harry Dresden, and IMHO did a fine job in the role.
I agree with all of this^ Although I never watched Critters...It wastoo gruesome and scary for me at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Connie Murphy in the series because there happened to be a Karen Murphy in the Chicago PD when the series was produced and they didn't want any potential flack from having Karrin Murphy.
Ha.I had no idea thats why they changed her name. You really do learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #5429
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Casting...

Quote:
Yes, she's the actress who played Murphy in the tv show, and a weak spot of the show IMHO. The white hair guy is Bob the skull and looks and acts so much like Tim Curry that they could be brothers. Imagine my surprise to find out it's the same actor from the "Critters" series of movies from the 80's. He makes a great Bob and if they ever do another series and use a regular skull, he'd be perfect as the voice of Bob. The other gentleman is the actor who plays Donald Morgan and does a fine job.

And of course, Paul Blackthorne is Harry Dresden, and IMHO did a fine job in the role.
Quote:
I agree with all of this^ Although I never watched Critters...It wastoo gruesome and scary for me at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Connie Murphy in the series because there happened to be a Karen Murphy in the Chicago PD when the series was produced and they didn't want any potential flack from having Karrin Murphy.
Quote:
Ha.I had no idea thats why they changed her name. You really do learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info!!
Sci Fi Channel TV adaptation of The Dresden Files co-starred Valerie Cruz as Lt. Murphy. The character's name was changed to "Connie," short for Constanza (as remarked on by Harry in the episode "Rules of Engagement"), in order to avoid confusion with an actual officer in the Chicago Police Department named Karyn Murphy.

Although Murphy is described in the novels as being short-statured, blonde, and blue-eyed, the character as portrayed by Cruz is brunette and dark eyed in appearance. Cruz originally tried out for the part of Susan Rodriguez, but was cast as Murphy based on her ability to effectively portray the character's personality in spite of the difference in appearance. Interestingly 5' 4", blonde, blue-eyed, Rebecca McFarland was cast as Susan! In the series, Murphy works with Detective Sid Kirmani, and appears to be a member of the Department's ordinary homicide unit, as Special Investigations is not mentioned. In "Birds of a Feather," she talks with Sheryl Sharp about her divorce, and indicates that she has a nine-year-old daughter named Anna who lives with her father, whereas in the novels she has no children from either of her marriages.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:15 AM   #5430
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
I call it "little housing" when a TV show or movie is based on a book or series of books and the only thing they have in common are the names of the characters and perhaps where the story is set.

Why? Because that's what was done with the Little House on the Prairie TV series. Charles Ingalls always had a beard while Isaiah Edwards was always clean shaven. Albert? The Ingalls never adopted a son. The Oleson family couldn't stand the frontier life and went back east after a short time. The Ingalls did live in Walnut grove but only for a short time. Most of the time in the books they lived in De Smet, Iowa and they had a home in town after living on a farm in a board and batten and tar paper claim shanty for a while on a farm. Mary loses her sight in a different way and other than Laura and Almanzo getting married, their tale is completely changed.

Still a good TV series but the books are much better. There have been some TV movies and attempts to reboot the series but all of them strayed even farther from the books and thankfully failed to get picked up.

If there's any outfit that could do a faithful video adaptation of the Dresden Files series it's the company that has done some of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Pratchett said watching their shows is like walking around inside his own head.

Any fans of the CBC's Heartland here? I haven't read the books the series is "based on" but I do know they didn't even bother to keep several of the character's names the same and some relationships have been radically altered. In the books, Lou married the veterinarian, not some oil company guy. 'Course they also relocated the setting to Alberta from the USA. I like the series anyway but to claim it's "based on" a book series is an extreme stretch. Little Housed even more than the Little House series. :P It is to Canadian TV what Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife are to British TV. Most popular series ever.

Last edited by bizzybody; 01-31-2015 at 01:18 AM.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy