Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
wolphy
wolphy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura H20
Question Password Lock Kobo H2O?

This is probably a duplicate post, but I see to be really bad at search terms... Is there any way to lock this freaking device??? I saw a hack for kobo glo (http://minutodroid.blogspot.com.br/2...-kobo-glo.html) that at least allows numeric lock, and it does not work for firmware above 3.2. Anyone seen something that can help me lock H2O (3.11.0 is my firmware version). Thanks!!!
wolphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Kobo Start Menu has an option to password protect your device. It is very much in development, so follow the installation instructions carefully.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233259
Old 11-30-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
wolphy

Thank you!
Old 11-30-2014, 04:52 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Also be aware that - as far as I know - it won't stop the possibility of someone hardware-resetting your device if it falls into the wrong hands.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
You can find some information here. Since with the introduction of H2O some things have change, I disabled the password check in the most recent version Kobo Start Menu (KSM 06). You can still run it in test mode ("test the bouncer"). You can also still set and delete the "real" password, but the check will not be applied when powering on the device. When I get enough user feedback on how KSM behaves generally on H2O, I will enable this option again.
If however you or any H2O owner wishes to test it now, I will provide the necessary changes. Attention: If something goes wrong, you will have to open your device and manipulate the internal sd in order to redo the changes. A simple factory reset will probably not be possible.

Last edited by tshering; 11-30-2014 at 07:34 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
wolphy

Quote:
If however you or any H2O owner wishes to test it now, I will provide the necessary changes. Attention: If something goes wrong, you will have to open your device and manipulate the internal sd in order to redo the changes. A simple factory reset will probably not be possible.
I won't risk it simply because of the need to keep my toy waterproof. I am interested, on another hand, in information on how to develop such customizations myself. You also mentioned in the original post that the password lock can be installed stand-alone. Would that remove the risk of having to recover built-in SD by any chance?
Old 11-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolphy View Post
I won't risk it simply because of the need to keep my toy waterproof.
This is the important point.

Quote:
I am interested, on another hand, in information on how to develop such customizations myself. You also mentioned in the original post that the password lock can be installed stand-alone. Would that remove the risk of having to recover built-in SD by any chance?
No, that want remove the risk at all. I would think that without KSM chances that something goes wrong are higher, since KSM provides an environment that makes testing easier.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I won't risk it simply because of the need to keep my toy waterproof. I am interested, on another hand, in information on how to develop such customizations myself. You also mentioned in the original post that the password lock can be installed stand-alone. Would that remove the risk of having to recover built-in SD by any chance?
If you're concerned about the water resistance, you may want to avoid customization altogether. The H2O's factory reset mechanism isn't quite as robust as it was in prior models, so it may be necessary to go inside if you end up with an unbootable system.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I can do some testing if you provide the changes and can tell me what sort of feedback you are looking for.

Incidentally, why was password protection removed? The feature was working on earlier versions of KSM on the H2O.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
wolphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
If you're concerned about the water resistance, you may want to avoid customization altogether.
Thanks for the warning!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I can do some testing if you provide the changes and can tell me what sort of feedback you are looking for.

Incidentally, why was password protection removed? The feature was working on earlier versions of KSM on the H2O.
Thank you for the offer to help. I prepared a test and posted it here. I tried to make the procedure as painless and safe as I can.