Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan M View Post
Hey folks, sorry to ignore people who are trying to help. I just got frustrated and unplugged the SOB and decided to read books for awhile instead of $#@^ with files and software.
I too find reading a book is good therapy - and for me the paper ones work best, vellum's even better

Quote:
BetterRed - I'm on XP. sp3. Re formatting on the HDD, I was told, "Probably Win 7 (but maybe XP). Should have been formatted as NTFS (which has not changed for the last ten years or so)." But I was getting delayed write fail messages on that drive, so transferred everything over to another identical empty (used) drive. I don't even remember formatting that drive, but I must have in order to use it, right?
This issue is moot, because when you did the chkdsk it 'fixed the uppercase file" - I just wanted to let you and others know it probably wasn't an issue, which you've now confirmed.

NTFS has changed over the last 10 years, I won't bore you with the details. MS does what it can to maintain backward compatibility, so most folks are unaware of the changes.

Its good practice to low level format any new drives on the machine you intend using them.

Quote:
piperclassique - Backup? Moi? No, but lesson learned. I think I have the original files still, but who knows if the 184,572 files Windows says I have is what I started out with.
From what you've told us I'm fairly confident that much/most/all of your library is recoverable via a library rebuild, using what's in the current library folder (ie ~61,000 books)

But first it would be really good if you could back up your Calibre library as it is now - just in case.

Do you have another drive with enough free space for a backup - preferably not your system drive [C:]?

Do you do any backups, if so what software/procedures do you use?

From your previous posts appears that you have other data (~300GB), apart from your your Calibre Library on your E drive, - can you confirm that's true?
Have you had any problems reading and writing that data, and what would you do if you lost it ?

Experts : I want to suggest Joan does the following, but I'd like others to comment first

Remove the Library from Calibre

Added Copy metadata.db to a safe place

Delete metadata.db from the Library folder
Create a new Library at the same location
Restore the Library

What will happen if Calibre hits a corrupt opf?

I tested it here on a Library of 11,382 books and it was fine, but it was a good library so all I really did was test the process.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-26-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: clarity + Added backup step
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #17
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I want to suggest Joan does the following, but I'd like others to comment first

Remove the Library from Calibre
Delete metadata.db from the Library folder
Create a new Library at the same location
Restore the Library

What will happen if Calibre hits a corrupt opf?
I would suggest that a better solution is to:
  • Use the Calibre 'Copy Library' to move all the files that Calibre knows about to a new location. This will get all the books that Calibre is happy with into the new location, and leave behind book files that are not referenced in the current Calibre database.
  • Use the calibre 'Add Books' facility to add these left behind books back into the new Calibre library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
  • Use the Calibre 'Copy Library' to move all the files that Calibre knows about to a new location. This will get all the books that Calibre is happy with into the new location, and leave behind book files that are not referenced in the current Calibre database.
  • Use the calibre 'Add Books' facility to add these left behind books back into the new Calibre library.
Thanks itimpi

I did consider that option, but I was put off by the numbers

It looks like the Copy Library would read/write/delete ~14,000 books
Which means the Add Books would read/write ~47,000 books

That will take a lot longer than than an in-situ database rebuild, especially on a USB 2.0 drive. It's also 2 steps rather than one, and I couldn't see any offsetting advantages in a two-step approach.

If an in-situ rebuild doesn't work we can then try the two-step approach, because we'll definitely have a backup of metadata.db.

BR
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought that the whole problem started when OP did a database rebuild and it did not have the desired results! That is why I suggested my approach as one way of working out what files are going to need further work to get them back into Calibre and properly referenced by the Calibre metadata.db file.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I've had errors rebuilding an existing database, which didn't occur if I started with an empty database - its happened twice. On both occasions I got all my books back.

That's why I thought it was worth trying, especially on a 61,000 book library.

But you know a lot more about Calibre than me, so I'm happy to defer.

BR
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
I've had errors rebuilding an existing database, which didn't occur if I started with an empty database - its happened twice. On both occasions I got all my books back.

That's why I thought it was worth trying, especially on a 61,000 book library.

But you know a lot more about Calibre than me, so I'm happy to defer.

BR
Interesting - I thought that the first thing the restore did was set the database to an empty state. However as you say you have had success with that approach it could definitely be worth trying. It would certainly be a lot less effort if successful.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I keep thinking that at times like this, a good old fashioned directory lising would help a lot; something like a
Code:
dir /s /a driver_letter:\ > dir_listing.txt
and then an analysis of that file to at least see what the file system thinks exists would be a good start.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
This tried and true method is what I would also recommend.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
Quote:
From what you've told us I'm fairly confident that much/most/all of your library is recoverable via a library rebuild, using what's in the current library folder (ie ~61,000 books)

Quote:
But first it would be really good if you could back up your Calibre library as it is now - just in case.

Quote:
Do you have another drive with enough free space for a backup - preferably not your system drive [C:]?
Yes.

Quote:
Do you do any backups, if so what software/procedures do you use?
No. For calibre, I assume I could copy and paste to another location or drive?

Quote:
From your previous posts appears that you have other data (~300GB), apart from your your Calibre Library on your E drive, - can you confirm that's true?
Yes. At present, ~218GB of other books (mostly PDFs) and a folder labeled DLLs (no clue what they're for). There was also 74 GB of videos which I moved to another disc.

Quote:
Have you had any problems reading and writing that data, and what would you do if you lost it?
1.) No problems that I'm aware of. 2.) I would feel bad.
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

And, really, it's okay to say it. You didn't mean "Experts". You meant "anyone who isn't a bloomin' idiot like Joan M."
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #26
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
A hand-me-down drive that may have seen many hours of use may be on its way out - completely out, or at least increasingly common bad sectors. I may have missed the advice to purchase a new drive for creating a fresh library. New 1 TB USB drives start at about $80. It would be a shame to put in the effort and then have the thing disappear again.

Do the cats and pythons interact in interesting ways?
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #27
Joan M
Did someone say Python?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
...Do the cats and pythons interact in interesting ways?
Proper feline husbandry and ophidian husbandry dictate that the twain should never meet.

Well, there was that one time - a perfect storm of keeper error: a room door left open, a cage door left unclosed....

I lectured the cat later that he should never have jumped inside that python cage. I suspect all he heard from me was, "Blah, blah, blah, blah."
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #28
Joan M
Did someone say Python?

Okay, should I just choose one method?

I looked for a command called "Copy Library" without success. Is it called something else? As always, thank you.

Edit: under the calibre icon on the main toolbar, I find "Switch/create library," then "Choose your calibre library." I should pick a new location and then choose one of these options: "Move current library to new location" or "Use the previously existing library at the new location."
Is this what you're talking about? If so, which option should I choose?

Last edited by Joan M; 01-29-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Joan M - sorry I went AWOL, blame the weather. Couple of weeks ago we were on fire alert at 120°F in the shade and now we have floods at 75°F :sigh:

IMO one I/O error does not justify rushing out to buy a replacement disk.

If you want to get an indication of the health of your 'Books' disk, you need to get its performance statistics, but these give no guarantee that a GOOD drive won't fail tomorrow or a BAD drive won't work for another 5 years.

Given your on XP and its a USB drive you'll need a 3rd Party tool to look at the drive performance statistics. One that should work on XP and USB drives is the one in How To See if your hard drive is dying

I suggest you you download the PORTABLE version of the CrystalInfo utility thats 'recommended' in the How To... - if in doubt here is a direct link http://release.crystaldew.info/redir...rystalDiskInfo

Make sure all your drives are powered up. Unzip into a folder and run DiskInfo.exe - it will show a row of icons at the top - Blue for Good, Yellow for Caution and Red for Bad.

Let us know what results you get.

Have you backed up the calibre library folder - ie E:\Ebooks\CalibreBooks ?

I'm going to be dealing with 'after the flood' consequences for a while. So I think it would best if you followed the 2 step process suggested by Itimpi and DoctorOoh.

Maybe one of them can jump in and give you some detailed guidance.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-29-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #30
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Edit: under the calibre icon on the main toolbar, I find "Switch/create library," then "Choose your calibre library." I should pick a new location and then choose one of these options: "Move current library to new location" or "Use the previously existing library at the new location."
Is this what you're talking about? If so, which option should I choose?
The 'Move' one is one that will move all files Calibre knows about in the current library to a new location. Any files then left at the old location are ones that Calibre had lost track of for some reason.