Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kyobo Mirasol-based ebook reader launched in South Korea

The Digital Reader has the news that the first Mirasol-based ebook reader has just been launched in South Korea.

The display is a 5.7" diagonal, 1024x768 pixel (223ppi) full colour display. More info about the ebook reader and the display are at the mirasol website.

Touchscreen, colour, scrolling, video, weeks of battery life, and a built-in 'front light', so it can be used in low-light levels.

$310. Kyobo Platinum club members can purchase for $265.

I wonder who'll be the first to use the display in a ebook reader available in the rest of the world?

Unlike The Digital Reader, I think people will pay more for a device with a reflective, hi-res, high speed colour display that gives weeks of battery life.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Unlike The Digital Reader, I think people will pay more for a device with a reflective, hi-res, high speed colour display that gives weeks of battery life.
I agree. I didn't hesitate to pay $300 for my Sony 505 nor the $300 price for my Sony 950 (I bought both before the prices started slipping). The devices had what I wanted when I wanted them and so I paid the going price. Similarly, I would pay a higher price for the Mirasol screen, which is a color screen that sti8ll lets you read comfortably outdoors.

The Digital Reader has a video of a drop test of the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet and when the testers took the devices outdoors, you could really see the glare on the screens. In contrast, the Digital Reader had a link in his article on the Korean reader to the Mirasol website where there were videos and it was clear that the Mirasol screens had the same outdoor advantage that e-ink has over LCD.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I have to ask, though, if you are using the tablet for high speed things (lots of scrolling, lots of video), is it going to have a battery life of weeks? Tablets last longer than the 8-11 hrs they are quoted as if you don't run video and instead do things like reading books or other fairly static things.

Personally, though, I'd find this more appealing if it were a larger screen. Most of the uses for color books are for formats large than 5.7 inches.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I would buy it for no other reason than kids books. It looks great!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
I have to ask, though, if you are using the tablet for high speed things (lots of scrolling, lots of video), is it going to have a battery life of weeks? Tablets last longer than the 8-11 hrs they are quoted as if you don't run video and instead do things like reading books or other fairly static things.

Personally, though, I'd find this more appealing if it were a larger screen. Most of the uses for color books are for formats large than 5.7 inches.
No, those tablets don't last longer. The Kindle Fire is rated for 7.5hrs when watching video... and 8hrs for continuous reading. The display really is the main battery hog on most mobile devices.

As far as I'm concerned, the screen size hardly matters if the devices have the same resolution. The Kyobo reader and the iPad have the same 1024x768 resolution but text will actually look sharper on the Kyobo reader because it has higher ppi.

I'll be buying this once it's available on eBay for less than $500. I've been waiting a long time for a device like this.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Everything but the user replaceable battery...Pretty good for this day and age..

Everybody focuses on the reader price. It's the books you will spend most of your money on. (50 Baen books @ $6 a book = $300).

Oh yes, the firmware looks miserable. No way to keep a 1,000+ book library organized (looking at the videos...)

Here's to a wave of new Mirasol devices.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 11-22-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I hope to see this in the Kindle within a year or so.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
This looks very cool. I could get my hands on one if I wanted to pay the price.. but I'll wait until it hits readers out here.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Great news-hope they do well enough in SK to get production levels up for international sales.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
According to the official Kyobo site, it weighs 338g and measures 174*119*12.9, has 521MB of RAM and 2GB of storage, welcomes 32GB microSD/SDHC cards, and sports a 3.5 jack. Also : USB 2.0, WiFi B/G/N, 1800mAH battery, Android 2.3, and mp3

Last edited by Lbooker; 11-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
According to the official Kyobo site, it weighs 338g
Ugh. Not for me, then.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
According to the official Kyobo site, it weighs 338g and measures measures 174*119*12.9, has 521MB of RAM and 2GB of storage, welcomes 32GB microSD/SDHC cards, and sports a 3.5 jack. Also : USB 2.0, WiFi B/G/N, 1800mAH battery, Android 2.3, and mp3
Sounds like you were able to translate Korean. Does the site mention how to order one? Just thought maybe it's possible to order one directly through them from here in the US. Maybe if we wait a few weeks they may pop up on Tiger Direct or some other electronics importer site. Same thing happened with the original ereader, the Sony Libre, available only in Japan but available in the US for $1500!
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Ugh. Not for me, then.
The important point about this eReader isn't whether it's the right one for you, but just that a mass-market eReader using the Mirasol screen is now actually in production.

Mirasol are supposed to be having a new big production line underway for completion in 2012 that should allow them to produce the millions of screens that would be needed for a world-wide product launch by someone like Amazon or Apple.

Hopefully we'll see several new eReaders in 2012 using the screen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The important point about this eReader isn't whether it's the right one for you, but just that a mass-market eReader using the Mirasol screen is now actually in production.

Mirasol are supposed to be having a new big production line underway for completion in 2012 that should allow them to produce the millions of screens that would be needed for a world-wide product launch by someone like Amazon or Apple.

Hopefully we'll see several new eReaders in 2012 using the screen.
Sure. That was just the sound of some of the initial excitement leaving me.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
Sounds like you were able to translate Korean. Does the site mention how to order one? Just thought maybe it's possible to order one directly through them from here in the US. Maybe if we wait a few weeks they may pop up on Tiger Direct or some other electronics importer site. Same thing happened with the original ereader, the Sony Libre, available only in Japan but available in the US for $1500!
on the order page (not expected to ship until 11/29), it does have a little tag that says "international shipping available."

http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/d...=2090000003529

Ships via fed ex. No exchanges or returns if shipped internationally unless damaged. It really is expensive for what it is, considering the screen size and the availability of tablet e-readers like Kindle Fire. I know Mirasol may be easier on the eyes and is cool technology, but at that price, I don't really expect it to sell well. Lots of complaints about price in all of the "reviews."
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote