Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #226
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I noticed that with 2.50 the ProductID for the Kobo was upped from 4163 to 4173 and instead of being simply having a device name of "eReader" it became "eReader-2.5.0" though USBDeview shows them as otherwise the same.
Firmware 2.4.0 displayed eReader-2.4.0 when my Glo was connected to my Windows laptop.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #227
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I had decided to do a factory reset on the Kobo as I was coming to the conclusion that the problem was at that end. Before I did that though I was able to duplicate the problem without using Calibre. I used SQLite to access the database on the Kobo and then compacted the database. When it came to save the database the problem occurred - i.e the drive on the Kobo became invisible to my O.S. This now confirms my suspicion that the problem is at the Kobo end rather than the Windows/Calibre end.
With this and tshering's comment about issues copying large files, that might be what is happening. The database on my Glo tends to be about 15MB for about 500 books. That isn't very big, but it is the biggest file that commonly gets written to the device. Maybe it is just big enough to trigger whatever the problem is.
Quote:
I'll do a factory reset then update directly to 2.50 and see what happens.
Good luck.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #228
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
With this and tshering's comment about issues copying large files, that might be what is happening. The database on my Glo tends to be about 15MB for about 500 books. That isn't very big, but it is the biggest file that commonly gets written to the device. Maybe it is just big enough to trigger whatever the problem is.

Good luck.
I did a factory reset and it updated to 2.50 and initially everything seemed fine. However when I tried to transfer a group of 22 files using Calibre it failed at some stage (I think most got transferred but not all). I then found that trying to copy a single 7Mb file without Calibre also failed. I've changed the USB settings as mentioned by tshering and still have problems but I now know it isn't Calibre driver related. My sqlite file is ~38Mb so yes this is going to be quite stressfull.

It's easy to forget that the Glo is not like a USB stick - a passive device, but relies on Linux on the Glo to expose the memory as a USB mass storage device (I'm assuming here it does work like my trusted Hanlin V3s).

It looks like I need to find a way to "downgrade" to 2.4.0 to check if the problem is actually upgrade related, though I may not be able to transfer the necessary files onto the Glo as that is 85Mb.

Incidentally I discovered that when I do a factory reset the Glo is initially seen as having a Product ID of 4163, it changes to 4173 once the upgrade is complete (presumably to whatever version is current, this explains the 4163 I have been seeing in the Registry. If you look at the following two entries from USBDeview :
Spoiler:

eReader Kobo eReader-2.5.0 USB Device Mass Storage Yes No No No F: 613A2A2010795 21/04/2013 14:58:17 21/04/2013 14:58:21 2237 4163 1.10 08 06 50 9&a02b7b5&0 USBSTOR USB Mass Storage Driver USBSTOR.SYS USB Compatible USB storage device 2 mA 2.00 USB Mass Storage Device 5.1.2600.0 USB\Vid_2237&Pid_4163\613A2A2010795

eReader-2.5.0 Kobo eReader-2.5.0 USB Device Mass Storage No No No No F: 613A2A2010795 08/12/2012 22:28:09 21/04/2013 14:53:37 2237 4173 1.10 08 06 50 9&a02b7b5&0 USBSTOR USB Mass Storage Driver USBSTOR.SYS USB Compatible USB storage device USB Mass Storage Device 5.1.2600.0 USB\Vid_2237&Pid_4173\613A2A2010795

You can see what is happening - the second entry is left over from before the factory reset and the first one (after the factory reset and before the on-line update is complete) is the "active" one at the time I took the snapshot (It's drawing 2mA which is how you can distinguish it).

This explains my earlier comment about the Product ID. It is more of a curiosity than anything else but could be of interest.

Once more thanks for the ideas - it has helped me focus on eliminating the initially confusing results I was seeing.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #229
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
I'm not sure how the book in your library got updated, I have no code to do that and as far as I know I actually can't find the original book location without querying calibre's SQLite database.
About this problem (the modified books are copied back to the Calibre library): I've found the cause. The "fetch annotation(experimental)" option does this, and not just with the book I'm getting the annotations from, but with all the books on the reader.

So it's a warning: do not use "fetch annotations" on kepub.epubs!
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #230
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
About this problem (the modified books are copied back to the Calibre library): I've found the cause. The "fetch annotation(experimental)" option does this, and not just with the book I'm getting the annotations from, but with all the books on the reader.

It's the same on all books... On ePubs it retrieves all annotations and stats too.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #231
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post

It isn't just for kepub.epubs, epubs are being copied back as well. I'll have a look at why.

Later:

OK, simple fix. It looks like some copied code for cases where the annotations are stored in a file on the device and the file is copied as well as putting the annotations in the main memory. I'll take this out for this weeks calibre. But there is a file with annotations for epubs in the main memory. I don't think it is worthwhile copying this file, but, I'll have a look at it.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-28-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Fix found
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #232
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Thank you, davidfor!
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #233
chief84
chief84 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chief84 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chief84 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura
kepub.epub files & word selection

I have a problem with kepub.epub files: when I select a word with my Kobo Aura (to see the Dictionary description), if the word starts with a capital letter or is written in italics often only the last part of word is automatically selected.

For example, if I select the word "Initially", Kobo searches in the dictionary "nitially".

This issue doesn't happens with the kepub files downloaded by the Kobo website.

I'm using calibre 1.19 and KoboTouchExtended 2.2.14.
chief84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #234
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
See the driver plugin thread for directions on submitting a bug. Make sure to include the book with your bug. You won't need to include a calibre log, but please include both the original ePub and the generated KePub.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo