Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
unwohltaeter
unwohltaeter is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-T1
How do I resize the system partition?

How do I resize the system partition?
I tried the method on the wiki but it doesn't work.

Everytime I try the command "mount /dev/mmcblk2p4 /mnt/sd/my_test" it gives me the error "mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk2p4 on /mnt/sd/my_test failed: No such file or directory".
If I try to create this directory with "mkdir -p /mnt/sd/my_test" I get the error "mkdir: cannot create directory '/mnt/sd/my_test': Read-only file system"

Has anybody successfully resized their partition and could help me with it?

Last edited by unwohltaeter; 12-01-2011 at 06:54 PM.
unwohltaeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
there where errors in the wiki, should be fixed now.

but you do not seem to have enough linux knowledge, otherwise you could have fixed this yourself. this is not to offend you, but please take care - you can completely brick your T1 on a root console if you don't know what you're doing!
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
unwohltaeter

I may not have enough linux knowledge to do this by myself but enough to know how to not brick my reader.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
unwohltaeter

Btw, there was still an error in the wiki:
It was "mount /dev/mmcblk2p4 /mnt/sd/my_test" but it should be "mount /dev/mmcblk2p4 /tmp/sd/my_test". Also it read "tar -cvf /mnt/sd/my_test/system.tar" but it should be "tar -cvf /tmp/sd/my_test/system.tar".

The last part didn't work - it gives me this error:
"tar: empty archive"

One more thing - isn't it posible to create an image of the old system partition with dd, mount it and copy it's contents to the new image?

Last edited by unwohltaeter; 12-03-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwohltaeter View Post
Btw, there was still an error in the wiki:
It was "mount /dev/mmcblk2p4 /mnt/sd/my_test" but it should be "mount /dev/mmcblk2p4 /tmp/sd/my_test". Also it read "tar -cvf /mnt/sd/my_test/system.tar" but it should be "tar -cvf /tmp/sd/my_test/system.tar".
Why? What's wrong with it?
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
unwohltaeter

It says "no such file or directory"

Last edited by unwohltaeter; 12-04-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:51 AM   #7
uboot
Evangelist

so, /mnt does not exist? well.... change it to /tmp or do a mkdir /mnt
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
unwohltaeter

Finally got it to work...
Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
uboot
Evangelist

great please update the wiki if you have spare time...

Regarding dd - if it exists on the T1, it should be possible to dump system with it...

Another way to dump system partition is using ebook_msc-Tool included with minimal-root.zip. But haven't tried that yet...
Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
purcelljf
Enthusiast
purcelljf began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Hi,

So if I am able to dump system partition to T1 internal SD memory, will this free up room for additional applications to be installed?

I already tried the Resizing Data Partition by using Link2SD to no avail. I am pretty sure I did the procedure correctly. Have there been a lot of people successful with this approach?
purcelljf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
I had a whole big bunch of apps installed (3-4 times as many than would have been possible with the very limited space) and linked. No problem.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Hi,
I'm trying to follow the wiki instructions for resizing the system partition (more sofisticated way): do I need to enter recovery mode, or I just need the normal system + adb?
thanks
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3l7d0wN View Post
Hi,
I'm trying to follow the wiki instructions for resizing the system partition (more sofisticated way): do I need to enter recovery mode, or I just need the normal system + adb?
thanks
You need recovery mode...

You cannot mount/umount/resize nothing while you are using it!
j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

yeah, it works and seems easy :P tomorrow I'll try to resize the partitions
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #15
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
I tried to free up the system disk with link2sd and app2sd but failed. Can anyone write a step by step wiki about this? Regarding linux, I have no knowledge but with a very detailed wiki I'm able to follow.
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote