Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Cool detecting chapters with --markdown

Using the command line, --markdown doesn't seem to work anymore. In the original pdf, each chapter was marked like this C H A P T E R 2 with each letter in Chapter seperated by a space. Hueristic processing wouldn't detect the chapter headings, so I converted the book to txt and did a replace and replace the original C H A P T E R with ##CHAPTER . I then used the command line to convert to epub. It would not detect the chapters. This is strange. This has always been a fail-safe method in the past. Of course in past versions of Calibre GUI, I have always been able to to check the box "Use markdown", now this feature is absent. There is a markdown Section, but no check box.

I am using version .7.47
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There should be a dropdown box in the text output settings where you can select the formatting.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Here is a partial print of the Text input box showing what is available in the box for markdown. there is no dropdown nor is there a check box for the markdown option. The only option is not to include the TOC in the resulting book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	71394  
Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Sorry, I think I read too quickly. I was under the impression your problem was getting the text output as markdown, and I missed the part where you're using the command line. According to the manual, the relevant option would probably be formatting-type. You should probably also double-check your options for TOC creation.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I'm a bit unclear. Is your markdown being converted properly. Is the issue of it not detecting chapters because it's not converting the markdown markup into the appropriate heading types? Or is the conversion coming out looking correct but just missing the chapters in the TOC?

Awhile back the TXT input was changed to auto detect the formatting (Markdown, Textile). If it's converting and you are seeing the ##chapters coming though as headings then auto detection is working properly. The only time you need to use "--formatting-type markdown" is when auto detection fails and you need to force the use of markdown.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
p3aul
Captain Courageous

User_None:

Quote:
The only time you need to use "--formatting-type markdown" is when auto detection fails and you need to force the use of markdown.
That is what I want to do, but it isn't working, neither in the GUI nor the command line. Also, what happened to the check box option "USE Markdown" How DO I force the use of markdown? --markdown on the command line doesn't seem to work.
Thanks,
Paul

Opps! sorry I see in my quote of your orig msg that you did in fact already answer the question! So now it's --formatting-type markdown instead of just --markdown?

Last edited by p3aul; 05-15-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: to correct the post
Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Thumbs up

User_None: That worked! Thanks a million!
Paul
Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Opps! sorry I see in my quote of your orig msg that you did in fact already answer the question! So now it's --formatting-type markdown instead of just --markdown?
Yep. I changed it to --formatting-type because support for Textile was added. You can't have Markdown and Textile formatted text in the same document so having check marks for each was confusing. This way you're forced to choose one or the other.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote