Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #301
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I think if libraries see a sharp spike in wait times, they'll probably institute shorter loan periods for popular / new releases; say 7 days. I don't see them buying more copies because their budgets are already strained.
-or- reduce the number of books that can be checked out at once.

Many libraries allow you to check out/hold up to 10 titles at a time.

Our local library network only allows 3 and as a result, it seems that the wait lists are much shorter than the libraries allowing more.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #302
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I think if libraries see a sharp spike in wait times, they'll probably institute shorter loan periods for popular / new releases; say 7 days. I don't see them buying more copies because their budgets are already strained.
They could always cut back on the DVDs and video games...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #303
Astrakan
Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I didn't know for the longest time because I just used the "delete" key on the keyboard in ADE, not the ridiculously hidden drop down menu.
You learn something new every day. I had no idea you could use the delete key for that. I don't see what's so ridiculously hidden about that menu though... that button is right there next to every cover image in your library.

Quote:
And if you're using the Overdrive app (phone, rooted Nook, tablet, whatever) and you don't have ADE installed, then you can't return early at all, as far as I know.
Ah, well this is definitely a shortcoming they should fix.
Astrakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #304
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Well, technically, your Nook Color isn't suppose to be rooted so there is nothing for them to fix.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #305
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrakan View Post
You learn something new every day. I had no idea you could use the delete key for that. I don't see what's so ridiculously hidden about that menu though... that button is right there next to every cover image in your library.

Ah, well this is definitely a shortcoming they should fix.
The triangle only shows up when the book is selected or highlighted, and then only in the upper left hand corner (i.e., away from where your eyes are focused on the title) and only in a gray that is slightly lighter than the surrounding black background and gray "glow" indicating that the book is selected.

If all you use ADE for is to drag-and-drop the library book onto your device really quick, then you can (and many people do) use ADE for months or even years before noticing that the "triangle" is some kind of hidden menu and not, you know, an "arrow" showing that the book is selected.

I'm no slouch with computers and it took an OpenLibrary.org FAQ to make me realize the triangle was there at all. My mother still has to call me every time she wants to return a library book to ask where the menu option is hidden. It's not what I would call intuitive - even typing this us and checking ADE, it looks like a "hey, this is selected!" notification to me, and nothing more.

What would be more intuitive to me would be if you could get at that option by right-clicking the book, but that just brings up a generic "settings..." dialog. Ah, adobe products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Well, technically, your Nook Color isn't suppose to be rooted so there is nothing for them to fix.
If this is in response to the Overdrive issue, then it has nothing to do with the NC being rooted or not. ANY android tablet running the Overdrive app has the same issue - you can't return library books via the app. "Rooting" is irrelevant.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #306
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I was excited about this till I checked with my library and found out they have 139 ebooks :P
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #307
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I was excited about this till I checked with my library and found out they have 139 ebooks :P
Hopefully, more users (Kindle or otherwise), will also check into it and your library system will notice that there is a demand. Plus, if you start checking out some of those 139, that will get their attention as well. You may also want to see if there is a statewide program that will give you access to more books.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #308
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hopefully, more users (Kindle or otherwise), will also check into it and your library system will notice that there is a demand. Plus, if you start checking out some of those 139, that will get their attention as well. You may also want to see if there is a statewide program that will give you access to more books.
It's a new library they just opened in August 2010, they are going to try and team up with the library down the street from me. Hopefully that goes through, The problem is the library a block from me is the only one in my township and I am not allowed to sign up to an out of township library, of course it has no ebooks
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #309
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I strongly recommend contacting your library and expressing your interest. Librarians are super-nice, but they aren't mind-readers - they won't know there's a demand for ebooks unless someone tells them.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #310
Ron.
Evangelist

Quote:
I strongly recommend contacting your library and expressing your interest. Librarians are super-nice, but they aren't mind-readers - they won't know there's a demand for ebooks unless someone tells them.
I plan on it, it has been a Holiday here so they have not been open since Thursday. I will also suggest teaming up with the other Library to be a good idea
Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #311
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I plan on it, it has been a Holiday here so they have not been open since Thursday. I will also suggest teaming up with the other Library to be a good idea
Excellent!!! Best of luck Ron. I know what it feels like to live where there is a "less than adequate" library.
My husband and I lived in a small Texas town for about a year this was before e-books), and there was practically nothing in the local library. More than half of the shelves were empty. When we were leaving, we stopped by there and donated a few boxes of books to them.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #312
Ron.
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Excellent!!! Best of luck Ron. I know what it feels like to live where there is a "less than adequate" library.
My husband and I lived in a small Texas town for about a year this was before e-books), and there was practically nothing in the local library. More than half of the shelves were empty. When we were leaving, we stopped by there and donated a few boxes of books to them.
Pre Kindle I used to buy books on half.com and when I was done reading them I would donate them to the library, They have a decent selection and anything they don't have they can get on inter-library loan. They just haven't went with ebooks yet
Old 04-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #313
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Interesting debate in comments here over whether this means Amazon will support PDF/ePub, or if Overdrive(or Amazon) will provide Kindle format books: http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20....html#comments

Quote:
Your existing collection of downloadable eBooks will be available to Kindle customers. As you add new eBooks to your collection, those titles will also be available in Kindle format for lending to Kindle and Kindle reading apps. Your library will not need to purchase any additional units to have Kindle compatibility. This will work for your existing copies and units.
I think its still unclear based on that statement.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #314
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't see any way that Amazon is going to pay Adobe's DRM fees. I just don't see that happening, so I'm pretty firmly in the no-ePub camp.

Edit: Also any conversion would first entail stripping Adobe's DRM from the existing ePubs. There is no way on God's green earth that Adobe is going to allow that.

Last edited by carld; 04-23-2011 at 11:40 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #315
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't see any way that Amazon is going to pay Adobe's DRM fees. I just don't see that happening, so I'm pretty firmly in the no-ePub camp.

Edit: Also any conversion would first entail stripping Adobe's DRM from the existing ePubs. There is no way on God's green earth that Adobe is going to allow that.
+1

Also, the quoted statement says "available in Kindle format" which to me indicates azw mobi.

If it said "available in a Kindle-compatible format" I'd think maybe it might be something else.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote