Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
rickyg103
rickyg103 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Nook wi-fi
Calibre: Sony and Nook hanging - related problem?

I've been using Calibre to organize my ebook files and love the way it does the job but...

I finally got my libraries set up and attached my Sony PRS-505.
Tranfered books to the main memory and a 2gb SD card without any problems.

When I disconnected, the reader went through its normal process of "looking" for everything (the little 2-arrow circle), then froze... for almost 2 hrs. It usually only takes a couple of minutes, max.

I tried a couple of paperclip resets with no results. I tried to turn it off with no results. I reconnected to my PC (with the appropriate screen change - could see it in My Computer and in Calibre) then disconnected with no results. After this, somewhere along the line, it then seemed to reset, the little arrows spun, and seemed load fine. I found everything I had installed and started reading a book without any trouble. I haven't reconnected again, yet, to see if the problem repeats.

CHAPTER 2:

I then connected my daughter's Nook (classic/Wi-fi) and again Calibre shows the device and SD card with no transfer troubles. (Well, there was one file it said that it couldn't convert... does it just skip it or has it been corrupted?)

When I disconected, all of her device info (registration, email, Nook name, etc.) was gone. I set it all up again and now when I go to my Documents it sits on the "Checking for new items screen" and doesn't seem to do anything until the sleep timer kicks in.

I can see the files/folders/books on the SD card through My Computer on the PC but it doesn't seem to be able to find anything.

I don't know if this is a coincidence (2 readers having a problem), a hardware problem, a software problem, or a bone-head user problem.

I originally thought that I had to tell Calibre that the device had changed (was a Sony, now a Nook) but in researching the problem I find that Calibre is smart enough to automagically recognize the different device on its own. Yeah !!!

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Any glaringly obvious user errors?

FYI: I did NOT have both devices connected at the same time. Is that even possible?!?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
rickyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Did you safely disconnect the device using either eject in calibre or your operating systems tools? Meaning you didn't just unplug it? Not safely removing the device from your computer can cause memory corruption on the device.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@ Could not convert:
Could mean anything that caused the book not to convert.

We need the message that went with it:
Use the copy to clipboard" buttons and post here (inside a the red X eye,spoiler tag please)

I think user_none idea is your problem. A severely damaged file system will sure do strange stuff.

BTW Welcome to MR
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
rickyg103
rickyg103 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Nook wi-fi
Thanks for the quick responses!

Item 1:
I made sure that the readers were removed properly. I removed them through Calibre and double checked that they were gone in My Computer before I disconnected the USB cable. With MP3 players, cameras, thumb drives, assorted external drives, ad nauseum, I'm real careful about dismounting anything before unplugging.

Been there; done that; learnt my lesson the hard way.

Item 2:
I don't know what happened, but it seems to be working now. I attached the Nook to my PC to recreate the "could not convert" error message. I couldn't remember the exact book, but it was part of a series. I deleted the whole series from the card and re-sent it from the library. The error message came up again.

The error message was:

calibre, version 0.7.53
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Convert book 1 of 1 (ND Case Files 08 Two Points to Murder)

Convert book 1 of 1 (ND Case Files 08 Two Points to Murder)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.7.53
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': None,
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_split_on_page_breaks': False,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'epub_flatten': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'fix_indents': True,
'flow_size': 260,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x05A16C70>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_default_epub_cover': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'no_svg_cover': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.SonyReaderOutput object at 0x05A210D0>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': False,
'pretty_print': True,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': 'c:\\users\\superv~1\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibr e_0.7.53_tmp_u2vlei\\calibre_0.7.53_m7ve1a.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: RTF Input running
on \\Slug\disk 1\Childrens Books\Carolyn Keene\ND Case Files 08 Two Points to Murder (192)\ND Case Files 08 Two Points to Murder - Carolyn Keene.rtf
Converting RTF to XML...
Python function terminated unexpectedly
This RTF file has a feature calibre does not support. Convert it to HTML first and then try it.
boolean should have some value module process tokens
token is italics___
'.'
(Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 103, in main
File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 119, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 915, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 204, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\rtf\input.py", line 273, in convert
ValueError: This RTF file has a feature calibre does not support. Convert it to HTML first and then try it.
token is italics___
'.'

The file was not on the card ( I checked and thought I'd delete it in case it was corrupted).

When I removed the Nook and let it come back on, it looked for new content and found the books I added. I don't know what caused the problem nor what I did to resolve it, but I'm grateful all the same. Maybe all the shouting and threats actually scared it into submission?

Now that they both seem to be working, I'll wait a couple of days, read a couple different books, then add some more books and see if the problem(s) occur again.

Anything I should be aware of or watch out for?
rickyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyg103 View Post
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\rtf\input.py", line 273, in convert
ValueError: This RTF file has a feature calibre does not support. Convert it to HTML first and then try it.
token is italics___
'.'

Anything I should be aware of or watch out for?
Hey you gave all the answers.

Did you note the message (i trimmed your log).
Not all file type "x's" are created equal , Calibre can choke when the drift to the edges of the 'norm'.
This message actually suggested a work around (not seen that before )
My advice (besides posting as you did) is read near the bottom of the error for clues (Nancy would approve )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert