Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #106
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankaa View Post
Thanks for all your help!

Do I understand it right, that Live Wallpapers only work if I change the home launcher to another than the standard one? If so, how do I so?
Correct.

Download and install a home screen replacement (launcher). Popular choices are Zeam, ADW Launcher, and Launcher Pro.

After you install it, whenever you hit the "n" button you'll be prompted to pick a launcher (stock home screen or something else). If you want that to be you default launcher, when prompted put a check in the box at the bottom of the prompt window. Note: this may not be the case depending on how SoftKeys is configured.

You also need to download and install Home Switcher. You can use this to change to another home screen (including the stock one) or set a home screen (including the stock one) as default.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #107
crm7588
crm7588 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Thanks again!

I got an urgent question and hopes somebody could help me. I'm in the middle of wanting to write the SD-card. I'm using a Mac and so far did everything as descriped by nookdevs. I downloaded the file, unzipped it and unmounted the card.

But hell, I don't know WHERE I have to put the image-file?

When doing the next step in terminal, it says that no such file *image-file-name* exists.

Oh and is it correct, that there are two partitions in the image? It doesn't say ANYTHING about that on the nookdevs site. One is called AutoNooter and the other is Nooterfiles.

Hope for quick help
I am experiencing this exact same problem, how did you fix it. (I'm new to this whole rooting thing so if you could explain it in simple terms
crm7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #108
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm7588 View Post
I am experiencing this exact same problem, how did you fix it. (I'm new to this whole rooting thing so if you could explain it in simple terms
Which of the problems?

You have to give the FULL path of the file. If using a Mac and terminal - I had the file on the Desktop - it was dd if=/Users/myname/Desktop/auto-nooter-2.12.25.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m for the 1.0.1 version.

As for the partitions, never mind. that's alright. Just put the written SD-card into your nook as descriped on nookdevs...everything else will be automatically.

---

Got another question myself. I remember that there was a description on how to put one files (books, pdfs, ...) on the home screen as widgets when using a replasement launcher (i.e. zeam), but I just can't find that description
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #109
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
---

Got another question myself. I remember that there was a description on how to put one files (books, pdfs, ...) on the home screen as widgets when using a replasement launcher (i.e. zeam), but I just can't find that description
This is the thread you're referring to.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=desktop
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #110
suefourmet
suefourmet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color
Unhappy Winimage problem when rooting

I am trying to root my new Nook Color, and I keep running into the same road block every time. I have downloaded the auto-nooter and put it on my desktop. I have tried both the winimage downloads, v 8.5 and v 8.1. I have switched micro sd cards and reformated them several times. When I open winimage, it recognizes my sd card and gives me the option of choosing which disk I want to use. I choose the removable sd card. Then I click on "Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive". The next window asks me to select a physical drive from the list AND ...there is no list, just an empty window! I am running Windows 7 - Home Premium and the sd card is 8 gigabytes. I have tried using the card reader in my computer and also a separate usb card reader. I'm going to be embarrassed if I have overlooked something really obvious, but I'd rather be embarrassed than spend another 6 hours trying to figure this out. Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
suefourmet
suefourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #111
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by suefourmet View Post
I am trying to root my new Nook Color, and I keep running into the same road block every time. I have downloaded the auto-nooter and put it on my desktop. I have tried both the winimage downloads, v 8.5 and v 8.1. I have switched micro sd cards and reformated them several times. When I open winimage, it recognizes my sd card and gives me the option of choosing which disk I want to use. I choose the removable sd card. Then I click on "Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive". The next window asks me to select a physical drive from the list AND ...there is no list, just an empty window! I am running Windows 7 - Home Premium and the sd card is 8 gigabytes. I have tried using the card reader in my computer and also a separate usb card reader. I'm going to be embarrassed if I have overlooked something really obvious, but I'd rather be embarrassed than spend another 6 hours trying to figure this out. Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
suefourmet
Some have said they used Win32DiskImage instead. Perhaps someone will chime in. I rooted on a Mac.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #112
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by suefourmet View Post
When I open winimage, it recognizes my sd card and gives me the option of choosing which disk I want to use. I choose the removable sd card. Then I click on "Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive". The next window asks me to select a physical drive from the list AND ...there is no list, just an empty window!
One thing to try: Don't choose a disk to use before choosing 'restore virtual hard disk'. It's redundant (you choose it when you select a physical drive from the list).

Not sure that will help, though -- I once had the issue you report and closing the program, removing and reinserting the card and trying again resolved it for me. But it sounds like you've tried all that.

Another possibility: there is a dd for windows program. Be very careful if you go this route -- if you dd the image onto the wrong drive (e.g. your system drive) you can wipe your computer.

Last edited by zartemis; 01-13-2011 at 09:10 PM.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #113
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Yeah, that's strange. When I launch "Winimage (Administrator)" from the desktop shortcut, it doesn't ask for anything. I hit the "Disk" pull-down, and then the "Restore ... " from there.

The only real problem I've had with Winimage, is that it really doesn't like me to have ANY windows explorer windows open when trying to create the SD Card image, so I make darn sure that the only window that's open when I'm performing this is the Winimage application itself.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #114
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I was hesitant to install Softkeys because I'm trying to keep my NC as close to stock as possible (no alternate launchers, etc). It would be handy if someone figures out how to launch Dolphin HD or the like instead of the stock brower, though

I tweaked the softkeys settings - I didn't want the little gray arrow on the righthand side - so now I only see the back hotkey on the bottom, and the softkey list on a double-click of the N button. Getting the task switcher at the same time is nice too.

For me, getting ADB installed took a lot longer than the rooting part. Took a while screwing around in the control panel - and I'm very comfortable with that kind of thing.
sounds interesting, can you provide a screen shot?
Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #115
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
no, i was meaning that if you screw up and have to restore that you'd lose your data. sorry about not explaining that.
just want to add, when I of course found myself in that "screwed up" position. I had to do the reset. I did forgot about the pics that were on my card as well. I still have to reload everything. Also I should have spent an extra 20 bucks for a second card. It would have been nice to have the img file on a dedicated card at least for a couple of days until I was able to stabilize the root.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #116
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
Sorry, yeah, I had to re-root to get Google Books to work. I have to say everything else worked fine in spite of it, but I thought it better to be safe and make sure I'd done everything properly.
LMAO! I am not even going to check google books to see if it works! after I cant tell you how many hours and re-roots and the do not allow to boot magic 8 try's..... I'm afraid if it didnt work I would do exactly what you did and start the process over???? Since I"m only on page 3 or 4 I'm going to keep reading and see if anyone else actually fixed the issue before I even try and open the app.

I'm glad you got your problem fixed, I'm going to start counting the number of days before I finally give in and try gBooks
starting now 1

I just turned on my nook to start trying some new apps and when I started the program to look I received a message. Authorization error your device is being reset arrrrggh

Last edited by Gdzhlpr; 01-13-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: additional info only made it to 1
Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #117
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdzhlpr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I tweaked the softkeys settings - I didn't want the little gray arrow on the righthand side - so now I only see the back hotkey on the bottom, and the softkey list on a double-click of the N button. Getting the task switcher at the same time is nice too.
sounds interesting, can you provide a screen shot?
I also have softkeys set up similar to this (but I use softkeys on a single click) -- but I use both softkeys and button savior.

I set it up like this post specifies.

In my case, a single press of the Nook N key brings up an overlay over my current program, showing the 6 most recent programs as well as the various softkey replacements for the hard keys. If I double-click, I get my Zeam launcher home page. If I single-click after bringing up the softkey overlay I also get Zeam.

I keep Button Savior because I sometimes prefer not to use the N key and a few programs go full screen and I like the little button on the side (otherwise I'd just have softkeys live in the notification bar and use that to pull up the back and menu buttons).

I wanted to use QuickDesk (what I use on my Evo, then I could completely customize the overlay. But QuickDesk doesn't seem to work right on the NookColor). I seem to be using the Button Savior button less and less these days, so maybe I'll drop it. It's much quicker to get recent programs with a single press of the harder-to-press N button than to tap button savior and then long-hold home (or even to press button savior, press home, then launch more recent), which is why I went back to using softkeys.

Here's a screenshot of the softkey overlay -- with this thread in Dolphin HD in the background :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	softkeys.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	64747  

Last edited by zartemis; 01-14-2011 at 12:21 AM.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #118
suefourmet
suefourmet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color
Wow, thanks to everyone for the great responses. I now have a rooted Nook Color! This is one of those things that because I tried so many solutions, I'm not sure about exactly what worked and what didn't. I removed everything from my computer that had anything to do with auto-nooter and the winimage downloads and started over. One thing for sure (maybe the only thing) was that my original auto-nooter download must have been (was) bad. When I redownloaded, it was a very large file and the first one wasn't. I followed zartemiis's and KryptoNyete's instructions (see below), and someone, somewhere in this thread, had mentioned running winimage as administrator, so I did that. I do think that choosing which disk to use in winimage after selecting the "restore....." choice, was very helpful.
IT WORKED! Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate the help.

suefourmet

[QUOTE=zartemis;1334163]One thing to try: Don't choose a disk to use before choosing 'restore virtual hard disk'. It's redundant (you choose it when you select a physical drive from the list).

[QUOTE=KryptoNyte;1334176]
The only real problem I've had with Winimage, is that it really doesn't like me to have ANY windows explorer windows open when trying to create the SD Card image, so I make darn sure that the only window that's open when I'm performing this is the Winimage application itself.
suefourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #119
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I also have softkeys set up similar to this (but I use softkeys on a single click) -- but I use both softkeys and button savior.

I set it up like this post specifies.

In my case, a single press of the Nook N key brings up an overlay over my current program, showing the 6 most recent programs as well as the various softkey replacements for the hard keys. If I double-click, I get my Zeam launcher home page. If I single-click after bringing up the softkey overlay I also get Zeam.

I keep Button Savior because I sometimes prefer not to use the N key and a few programs go full screen and I like the little button on the side (otherwise I'd just have softkeys live in the notification bar and use that to pull up the back and menu buttons).

I wanted to use QuickDesk (what I use on my Evo, then I could completely customize the overlay. But QuickDesk doesn't seem to work right on the NookColor). I seem to be using the Button Savior button less and less these days, so maybe I'll drop it. It's much quicker to get recent programs with a single press of the harder-to-press N button than to tap button savior and then long-hold home (or even to press button savior, press home, then launch more recent), which is why I went back to using softkeys.

Here's a screenshot of the softkey overlay -- with this thread in Dolphin HD in the background :

Thanks for the quick response, I just figured out the softkeys at the vet's office today! what a timesaver. I need to look into a launcher do you like the Zeam? I have not tried any yet.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #120
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Maybesome somebody's already answered that question, than I apologize for asking again.

How do I uninstall Apps (downloaded and installed from Market)??
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote