Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-20-2015, 01:22 AM   #31
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Love it! And I agree! (Though I have both brands).
You have misquoted me, and wilfully by the look of it. Please don't.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:43 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Love it! And I agree! (Though I have both brands).
Moderator Notice

Please take a few ,minutes to read our Posting Guidelines, and note in particular the part that says:

Quote:
Please do not misrepresent someone else's views when involved in a discussion.
Your post is a clear misrepresentation of meera's post. Do it again and you will be suspended from MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #33
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
Is this not the forum "Which one should I buy?"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
My point is that "Kobo is not recommended due to buggy firmware, get a Kindle instead" is (a) false ("is not recommended"? Globally? By internet vote? What?), and (b) not a useful response to a person who was very specific that they were asking for opinions comparing two Kobo devices - and even giving quite reasonable reasons for that choice (collections management). And a person in the UK at that, so they wouldn't even be able to so much as read library books on a Kindle, as well as not being able to manage their collections as they choose.
Sorry, I disagree, (a) is a fair representation of quite a few Kobo owners feelings re: Firmware issues on their devices. I generally like the kobo hardware, but IMHO the soft/firmware can be (not always) horrendous.

1) Wi-fi synch takes for ever and uses a disproportionate amount of battery life.
2) The use of "shelves" is so slow that it becomes impossible to use very quickly without Calibre.
3) My own case of Firmware lock-ups is by no means an isolated issue.

(I do like the reading progress graphs etc.)

Perhaps to avoid bias in your responses you would like to point the OP to the multitude of threads in the Kobo forum talking of just such issues!

(By Who - well Me (two) and the (one) you referred to as being the only one. Which I felt, didn't represent the truth!

(b) The response may have been short, but it was to the point and probably represented his opinion on Kobo products. Whether it's useful or not depends upon your perception of usefulness. The OP might have read that and deduced that some people have an aversion to Kobo products and wondered why. That might have lead the OP to the Kobo Forum to seek out possible reasons. Maybe in hindsight that would have been very useful for him/her. (apparently the OP went for a Kindle instead!)

Quote:
Despite having brilliant experiences with multiple Kobos personally, I don't jump into every "Hey, Paperwhite or Voyage?" thread opining "Kindles are not recommended due to their limited firmware and crappy collections management, get a Kobo instead".
Neither do I, However, I felt that your post in reference (there's always one) was equally problematic.

Quote:
Good for you. I recommend Kindles from time to time too, depends on the individual's needs. What has that to do with the OP's question?
Thank-you! What did "There's always one" have to with the OP's question?
In my case, I responded to you who also didn't help the OP much other than IMHO to appear biased the other way!

In truth I would love to own another Kobo device at some point. I'm a bit "Big Brother" bothered by Amazon. However, I tend to find myself going for their products because they just happen to provide a better overall experience. If Kobo were to sort out the firmware issues, I've highlighted above I might be more inclined to recommend them.
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote