Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
No images in kobo epub books?

I just downloaded "The tale of Peter Rabbit" from kobobooks.com and synced it to my wife's kobo.
But, the pictures don't show up in the book.
I have a hard copy of the book. The kobo version just says "[Illustration]" where ever a nice picture should be.

Can the kobo display pics in the epub? Or did I just get a cheap copy of the book?
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayupark View Post
I just downloaded "The tale of Peter Rabbit" from kobobooks.com and synced it to my wife's kobo.
But, the pictures don't show up in the book.
I have a hard copy of the book. The kobo version just says "[Illustration]" where ever a nice picture should be.

Can the kobo display pics in the epub? Or did I just get a cheap copy of the book?
Oh, it certainly can display pictures, albeit in black and white. I have the Irish fairy tales that W.B. Yeats edited, which I got from Gutenberg.org. There is an illustration by his younger brother, Jack B. Yeats in there.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
there are pictures in my book decision points, and the kobo displays pdf magazines and comic books as well so yet it does show pictures. not sure about your book.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
It seems that Gutenberg.org has an ePub with pictures but it doesn't really have the text...

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14838
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Ah, I just loaded "The tale of two bad mice" and it worked fine. I must be the copy of the book I got (kobo's free one).
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
jayupark
Enthusiast

I want to read these to my nephews and nieces... thanks ppl.

The link that you gave me worked great. You just have to view the book in landscape mode

Last edited by jayupark; 03-28-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #7
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Illustrations didn't used to show up in my synced books. I'm not sure if one of the firmware updates fixed this, though. (I generally side-load with ADE, which seems to handle illustrations just fine.)
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Coccinelle View Post
Illustrations didn't used to show up in my synced books. I'm not sure if one of the firmware updates fixed this, though. (I generally side-load with ADE, which seems to handle illustrations just fine.)
My guess is that there were no illustrations included in the books. Publishers are really doing a lousy job of many commercial EPUB ebooks - no illustrations, no decent formatting and worst of all, no way to fix the problems because the DRM locks you out of the files. I bought Colin Wells' excellent "Sailing from Byzantium" - no pictures, horrible formatting. My only real alternative is to now download an (illegal) PDF file of this ebook and do my own conversion.
That's like saying I bought a dress from a shop, it didn't fit,the zip broke and it ran in the wash so now I have to go and steal a decent version of the dress so I can wear it.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
My guess is that there were no illustrations included in the books.
Then your guess would be wrong. I side-loaded the exact same book with ADE, and was amazed to find the illustrations (I hadn't been aware that there were any). With the firmware update, the illustrations now show correctly on the synced version... but they didn't back when I first tried to read the book.

Lack of illustrations was just one of the problems that the early versions of the firmware had. There was no ability to display italics or bold text, for example... something that drove me crazy until I was told how to side-load books to get around the problem.

So while some books just may not have illustrations, it's probably best to make sure your firmware is up to date so that everything is displaying as it should.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote