Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The bad thing about getting behind on your DVR watching is...

Well, before I tell you, I should explain that I have a few shows that I've recorded the whole season of but haven't watched (maybe a couple of episodes early on).

Today, I'm doing my marathon of "The Event".

I just realized... I have to see all those freakin' political commercials again! Must be faster on the fast forward.

That is all.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
If you were to record an entire season of DR Who (like I did) and watch them in reverse order would you be going back into the future?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
If you were to record an entire season of DR Who (like I did) and watch them in reverse order would you be going back into the future?
Spoiler:
No, you'd be making a full circle. This will become clear.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Spoiler:
No, you'd be making a full circle. This will become clear.

Nice answer!!!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lol

Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

Well, before I tell you, I should explain that I have a few shows that I've recorded the whole season of but haven't watched (maybe a couple of episodes early on).

I just realized... I have to see all those freakin' political commercials again! Must be faster on the fast forward.

That is all.
Download it from the Internet. No commercials
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Download it from the Internet. No commercials
That's too much torrenting bandwidth. Besides, I work in commercials so like to watch some of them (they pay my mortgage).

I now have a Boxee Box and Roku box for more streaming but many of the streaming sources have commercials as well (even Hulu+ which I don't under stand since it's a paid subscription).
Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
happy_terd
Banned

I have been watching everything on my PC with Netflix. For 10 bucks a month you can watch a lot of shows to include all Dr Whos since 2005 and a grip of classic who.

I love it. I also have been using it to watch all of the old dark shadows and I am planning on getting some Avengers in as soon as I get more time.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

NetFlix rocks! I use it a lot. I stream from it more than I watch DVDs (1 at a time subscription).
Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
happy_terd
Banned

Quote:
NetFlix rocks! I use it a lot. I stream from it more than I watch DVDs (1 at a time subscription).
I do not even order the disc. Who wants to wait a day or two to watch a movie. I stream it all. You can use it on up to 6 devices I believe. When I go out of town my wife and I still get to use it.

We can watch the same movie at the same time and talk dirty over the phone like we were in the same room. I just have to learn to sync the pausing with her bathroom breaks.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Unfortunately, not everything on the Netflix site is available for streaming. I have Amazon VOD on the Roku and just watched "Inception" (which was a 99 cent rental yesterday... I got it free as my sign-up selection). Vudu will be on the Boxee Box next week, so I'll have all kinds of new movie choices.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
First, i have nothing against a DVR, I rather like them.

The only trouble with a DVR is that it is what is often referred to as fixed disk recording. Once you fill up the hard drive you need to delete something in order to record something more. For people like me that love to store things on hard drive the DVR is not really an option nor is the Tivo since its technologically the same thing.

I have a blueray that can stream things off the internet and record what I see on DVDs if I want and or store them on hard drive. The amount of shows that I can store in DVD is limited to the number of DVDs that I have on hand to store.

If you have a DVR with a USB port on it then that eliminates the fixed limitation on the recorder, as you can keep adding external drives then your collection is limited only by the size and number of drives you have. With the way drive prices are going these days they are getting rather cheap.

Video on Demand is great if you do not watch movies a lot, but if you watch movies like my family does, at least two a day and most times three per day the prices can add up. If I had to pay $1 each times three per day = $3 per day * 7 days a week = $21 a week * 4 weeks = $84 a month - $6 which is what netflix charges for all streaming = $78 more a month than what I am paying now. But that is only for people like my family that watch a lot of movies each day. If you watch one or two than Video on Demand is great.

What I am looking forward to is Google TV, but I don't want to pay $250 for it. My PC is in the basement and my wife is afraid of the basement so I want to hook up Google TV so that she can web surf from our master bedroom.

Last edited by jbcohen; 01-02-2011 at 03:24 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #13
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:

Looking forward to when the new episodes are out.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote