Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question hyphenation - whether you want it or not ?

I just began reading on T3, and compared with T2 it has a new "feature" - it hyphenates at end of many lines in order ot reduce justification.

this is quite disconcerting, though maybe I will get used to it.

I checked the book text & code & it's not being caused by the epub, it something new in the firmware which google sort of confirms.

(it gets a mention here - in the discussions below the video

http://www.makeonlinecollection.com/...ny-PRS-T2.html )

But I cannot see any way to toggle it on/off - is there one

is there any documentation on exactly how it works anywhere ?

update: T3 uses ADE 2 which support hyphenation, I read, So I check & open the same book in ADE 2 on PC & yes, it hyphenates there also. But not in Sony's own reader for PC software.

are Sony unique in forcing this "enhancements" or are there other readers that hyphenate with or without an option to toggle the feature ?

Last edited by cybmole; 01-10-2014 at 08:31 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
No, Sony is not unique. Seems they are late to the game actually. Other ereader brands have had hyphenation for awhile. If you search MR you'll find several threads on this subject not specific to the Sony forum. Some people like it. Some people hate it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks I thought it might be a coming trend that I ought to get used to
Maybe if I read a book or three, I will stop noticing it, but right now my brain is shrieking *error* every time I see one. It brings back memories of reading, & not enjoying, poor quality PDF scan conversions.

Do the other brands ( & is there a list anywhere) give the reader the option to have hyphenation on or off ?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
No, they do not appear to.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Nice to know I'm not crazy. I noticed some of my books have hyphens running through it these days. The sad thing is when it hyphenates a word incorrectly. So you are saying to yourself 'what the heck is sa- dly'? OH Sadly! What the H......!'

I wish there was a way to turn that off because it does get distracting sometimes.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My 350s didn't hyphenate and I was fine with that. My Kobo Glo does hyphenate and yes, it's very odd reading when it hyphenates at an odd place in the word, but it's pretty rare that happens.

It doesn't really bother me much either way (although if I had a choice, I'd probably choose no hyphenation), since paper books always have hypenated words, I figured I shouldn't complain about ebooks having hyphens either.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

I'ts been so long since I read a paper book , I was struggling to remember what happens there.

I am pretty sure that a human typesetter would not allow a word to be hyphenated over a page turn though & I've seen one of those occur on the T3.

& i suspect there may be a rule about not hyphenating people's names also, in the paper world.

Google tells me that none of the Kindle range hyphenate, ever.

I like everything about the T3 except the hyphenation so not sure what I'll do - keep it, keep it only as a backup, sell it & get a spare T2....
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, human typesetters would always use correct hyphenation rules. Software trying to do the same thing won't ever be 100% perfect, and that's why if I had the choice, I'd turn it off on the Glo.

The Glo doesn't hyphenate that often though so that's probably why it doesn't bother me much, certainly not on every page or even every 5 pages. Maybe the Sony's software is doing it more often?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

on my test reads - it is there a lot - sometimes 1 per page sometimes several.

assuming it is using vanilla ADE 2 engine you can see the effect by reading any book in ADE v2 on PC & setting PCwindow to approximate an e-reader size
Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I still have ADE1.7, never upgraded it since I rarely use it unless I have to for some reason. I always use the Sony software to download any library books, and Calibre for all else. And 1.7 isn't showing any hyphenation.

And if ADE2 hyphenates excessively, I think I'll stick with 1.7 for now since I so rarely use it anyway .
Old 01-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
So is there a way to disable the hyphenation? Or does it help to use certain font sizes/margins?

EDIT: Found the answer. I will test it out tonight.

Last edited by Amalthia; 01-13-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote