Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Vampira
Vampira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Desktop is having issues, please help!!!

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting a thread on here.

My Kobo Desktop is having issues. Whenever I sign into it and it starts to sync (syncing Kobo Desktop, the actual Kobo device is not plugged into my laptop), after syncing the 9th book, it gives me an error that says "Connection Error. There was an error downloading your content. Please try again later." It has beeing doing that for about 4 or 5 days now. If I add books to my account, the new books will sync just fine onto the Kobo Desktop, but the books I have had before the error showed will not sync.

So I thought that I would sync the new books I added onto my Kobo, but even though the new ones sync on the Kobo Desktop, no books at all get added to the actual Kobo. Which means I don't have any books on my Kobo and cannot add any at all because of this error thing.

Has anyone had any problems like that as well?
I have contacted the Kobo team about it, but it's taking them a while. They have moved to Tier 3 now.

If anyone could help out, I would really appreciate this!!
I'm addicted to reading.....
Vampira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Which model Kobo do you have please?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
CWPitcher
CWPitcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Touch, iPhone
I'm having the same issue exactly Vampira. It started when I upgraded to OS 2 on the device and 3 on the desktop. Kobo is looking at a debug log I sent them to try and figure out what to do next.
CWPitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Vampira

PeterT...........It's a Kobo Touch.

CWPitcher................I haven't upgraded either the Kobo or the Kobo Desktop. I have had Kobo only for a month and a half.
My Kobo did already have a hiccup, the touch part stopped working, and the only thing that made it work again was to do the whole factory reset deal.... Which meant that I lost all my books on it. Then my Kobo Desktop started doing the whole error thing and now I have no books on my Kobo.
If you find out what happened and how to fix it before I find out, can you please let me know? Thanks a lot!!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
That doesn't sound fun! Is your internet connection stable for all other internet activity you do?

Have you tried syncing your Kobo Touch directly via WIFI, without connecting it to you Desktop version? If that works, you'll have all your books on your Kobo to read while you mess around with the Desktop problem. If it doesn't work, have you logged into the kobobooks.com with your browser? There might be a hiccup somewhere in your user account...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Vampira

Hi, Mrs often.

My internet connection is stable and working just fine with any other activities.

How do I sync my kobo touch directly via WiFi? Do you mean, have I logged onto kobobooks.com via the browser on my kobo touch? yes, I have. That part works just fine.
I think that there's a hiccup with my user account and I'm hoping they'll fix it soon! ugh. I am very interested how to sync my kobo touch via wifi though, without having to your the kobo desktop.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #7
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
[QUOTE=Vampira;2185553I am very interested how to sync my kobo touch via wifi though, without having to your the kobo desktop.[/QUOTE]

On the home page click the cog icon in the top left, then click wi-fi on (if the box is unchecked), then click the sync icon.

I hope it syncs for you this time!
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampira View Post
I am very interested how to sync my kobo touch via wifi though, without having to your the kobo desktop.
Exactly as Witty Username says. The "sync icon" is the one with the circled arrows in a cloud (under the cog wheel, top left of the home screen).

If that also gives you a connection error, perhaps the 10th book it's trying to sync is corrupted in some way (as you say the connection error occurs after the 9th book every time)? You could try and delete book 10 from your account (it doesn't get deleted but it goes into your archived books: it's still available but stops syncing onto your device), and see if that solves anything...
Old 08-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
CWPitcher
CWPitcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Touch, iPhone
Hi Vampira,

I don't know if this applies in your case, but Kobo resolved my sync issue by deleting my periodicals (magazines and newspaper subscriptions). I had some old trial issues that kept loading even though I had cancelled them. After Kobo support deleted those I was able to sync normally and stopped getting the error.
CWPitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
Vampira

So I tried to sync on my Kobo Touch and that was giving me the error as well.

CWPitcher....the problem I had was similar to yours, but it was a book that was making the error show up and not a newspaper. I'm glad they figured out your problem, they didn't get back to me about it yet.

But with the help of.....

MrsOften.........Now it works!!! Thank you very much for your help. You were right, it was one book that made it all not work. It took a bit to figure out which book. I deleted that one book and then the sync worked just fine!! Thanks for helping a newbie out!!

And thank you to everyone that tried to help me out with this, I really do appreciate it!!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard

You're welcome Vampira, great to hear it worked!