Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
RussMeyer
RussMeyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Dead Kobo?

I've been very happy with my Kobo up till now. I was an early adopter, I pre-ordered mine back in April last year. Every thing has worked well up to now but yesterday I when to turn it on during a fight home from Paris and I got a gray screen with a bit of black along the top left over from the cover of the last book I was reading. I think it is just the screen that is malfunctioning because when I plug it into the computer I can access the books on it. When I push the menu button the screen flickers but nothing is legible. I have tried a full recharge over night and still no luck. Any suggestions before I try to take it back to Coles where I bought it?
RussMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Did you do a reset with the pinhole?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
RussMeyer

Yes I tried that.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Can you make photos ?
Sounds like a broken screen from what you describe.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
RussMeyer

I agree with you it does seem like a broken screen. The only thing is I was using it the night before and I haven't dropped it and there is no sign of impact. Can I post images on this forum?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Yes - Use the go Advanced button. Then you can scroll down the new window to where you can see how to upload pictures with your post
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
RussMeyer

Photo

Here is a photo with the Kobo powered up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030761.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	67414   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	67415  

Last edited by RussMeyer; 02-26-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Yup, it's hosed. Warranty time.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
It doesn't look like the screen is cracked; it may be that the screen connector has come partially adrift. So it may be fixable by Kobo; it's certainly still within the one year warranty. Get an RMA and send it back.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #10
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
It doesn't look like the screen is cracked; it may be that the screen connector has come partially adrift. So it may be fixable by Kobo; it's certainly still within the one year warranty. Get an RMA and send it back.
I agree with you. I've seen a cracked one (at wal-mart they have had it like that for at least 4 weeks and still have it as the only one on display) and there was some serious bumps and dips in the screen as well as some really visible dark black lines in no apparent pattern and the screen wasn't one color it was patches divided by squiggly lines. Warranty time (maybe this is good you will probably get the new version) and still in time for the warranty.

Hope this helped
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Yeah, even a cracked screen will usually display correctly at least somewhere on the screen(unless it's REALLY broken)... seems more like a loose panel ribbon cable or maybe dead/dying panel controller...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
RussMeyer

Thanks everyone, I'll try returning it tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
RussMeyer

I took it back to Coles to day and they exchanged it for a new wifi model no questions asked. Now if I could only get Calibre to recognize my new Kobo I will be very happy.