Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
X. Trapnel
Enthusiast
X. Trapnel began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad (broken screen! cry), x61t tablet
Unhappy Possible battery failure - suggestions?

Hi everyone. I think I may have unseated the battery contacts on my iLiad, probably when I dropped my backpack yesterday. Here are the symptoms--what do you think is wrong? What can I do?

When not plugged in, it seems completely dead; unresponsive to power switch, no matter how long I hold it on. Reset button doesn't do anything either.

If I plug it in, sometimes--very briefly--the charging light will flash red, but then it will stay off. However, when plugged in, it *seems* to work okay. I originally thought it wasn't fully functional even while plugged in, but I think what happens is that the seating of the charger is very delicate, so small bumps unplugged it, at which point the Iliad immediately shut off (without any visual indication of course). This happened a few times last night, but once I was careful not to bump it, it stayed on fine and let me open and close books, etc.

While it is on, the battery indicator reads as full. And it seems to be able to stay on indefinitely (even charging my iphone while doing so).

So it seems like the battery is just no longer seated, and it's drawing directly from the AC when plugged in. Does that sound right? If so, (how) can I fix this? I pick up a #6 torx screwdriver, open up the back, and then ... what?

I'm pretty sure my warranty is totally gone, since I bought this 2nd hand from someone on this Forum who already put in the super-long-battery mod. (Which is awesome.) Please help, forum folks! I love my iLiad and want it back!
X. Trapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
There's a pretty big thread on here talking about how to do that "super long battery mod". I'd go find that thread, and see how to open the iLiad up and what wires there should be between the battery and circuitry. It sounds like maybe on of the soldered wires broke loose. Pictures/steps from that thread should give you enough to open it up and check.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
battery, dead, iliad