Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Vengadesan
Technologist
Vengadesan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cover Page at Kindle

Hi,

I have converted a Mobi file for Kindle and it works fine. But the book does not start with cover page. Anybody can help to make my Mobi for Kindle start with cover page.

Thanks,
Vengat
Vengadesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A Mobipocket book will open at the location defined by the "other.ms-firstpage" item in the "Guide" section of the OPF file. You can edit this in Mobi Creator.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
euriloco
euriloco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
What must i write in the "other.ms-firstpage" to start in the cover?

Thank You.
euriloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
You can also import it into calibre, right click the title, edit metadata... and there is a "get metadata online" button at the lower right that can fetch the cover and any related information. Once this is done, remove the previous book, upload/transfer the book with updated information and it should be good to go.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Screwball - unless I'm reading you wrong (which is entirely possible), are you saying you can edit the metadata on a .mobi book in calibre, then save the book with the added cover etc. without having to run it through Calibre's conversion process? I thought you had to run an ebook through calibre's conversion process to get (say) the cover included in the file.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gary - I don't know about doing it with Calibre, but you can replace the cover of a Mobi book, whether DRM protected or not, using tompe's Mobi2Mobi package.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Screwball - unless I'm reading you wrong (which is entirely possible), are you saying you can edit the metadata on a .mobi book in calibre, then save the book with the added cover etc. without having to run it through Calibre's conversion process? I thought you had to run an ebook through calibre's conversion process to get (say) the cover included in the file.
Gary - with regard to calibre, you would have to use the 'Save to disk' function (and possible re-import that version into calibre) or you could do a mobi->mobi conversion. Both will update the ebook file with edited metadata. But I can't verify that either of those options will properly set the start point to the cover page (it very well could... I just don't know).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Gary - with regard to calibre, you would have to use the 'Save to disk' function (and possible re-import that version into calibre) or you could do a mobi->mobi conversion. Both will update the ebook file with edited metadata. But I can't verify that either of those options will properly set the start point to the cover page (it very well could... I just don't know).
No, editing the cover or the metadata will not have any effect on what point the book opens to. As I said earlier in the thread, that's determined by the "other.ms-firstpage" item in the "Guide" section of the OPF file. If it's not present at all, the book will open at its first page, which is normally the cover (but doesn't have to be, of course).
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
No, editing the cover or the metadata will not have any effect on what point the book opens to. As I said earlier in the thread, that's determined by the "other.ms-firstpage" item in the "Guide" section of the OPF file. If it's not present at all, the book will open at its first page, which is normally the cover (but doesn't have to be, of course).
Thanks for clarifying, Harry
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Harry - I followed some instructions on installing mobi2mobi on my macbook, but I just couldn't get it to work. It gave me error messages at various points during the installation of all the various bits and pieces; unfortunately, a lot of it pretty much went over my head.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that. Are there no pre-built binaries for the Mac, like there are for Windows?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Installing Mobi2Mobi on a Mac can be a pretty annoying process. If your error messages have to do with "XXX not found", what you do is head over to Perl's CPAN site, type in the name of the missing module it's complaining about, and install that before trying again with the particular piece you're trying to install.

You'll probably have to do it a number of times. Some of the dependencies go down to about 5 levels deep, if I recall correctly. But once you've got the stuff in place, you never have to touch it again.

Except if you also have MacPorts or similar and it's trumped the built-in/your usr/local added Perl install, in which case you'll have to reset the PATH or you'll get an error message when using Mobi2Mobi.

They've also got EBook-Tools over at CPAN, which is an alternative which gives you 1-step unpacking/conversion to/from other formats. You'll need to tie it into KindleGen for Mobi generation, though.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-19-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Link to alternative EBook-Tools package.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you cannot have a MOBI file open at the cover. If you want that, put the cover as a normal image at the start of the MOBI file.

@HarryT: The metadata cover in a MOBI file is not part of the normal book contents, so you cannot point to it in the OPF guide.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Installing Mobi2Mobi on a Mac can be a pretty annoying process. If your error messages have to do with "XXX not found", what you do is head over to Perl's CPAN site, type in the name of the missing module it's complaining about, and install that before trying again with the particular piece you're trying to install.
PilotBOb created a Install Mobi2Mobi Mac for the Kindle Visual Guide wiki.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I know, and from the context of his original message, that sounds like the instructions that garygibsonsf said he was following. But the Visual Guide omits a number of steps, and thus the error messages, which then need fixing.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote