Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Thumbs down Missing files from kernel tree

Hello everybody, I'm reviewing the kernel sources Onyx releases some time ago.

As was already clear the tree is based on L2.6.35_11.05.01_ER from Freescale's BSP with a few patches from Onyx.
Komodo pointed out in this post that there are a few missing files. I gave a closer look: every assembler file (*.S) is missing, even unrelated ones — e.g. from other architectures — so they probably did a "find -name '*.S' | xargs rm".
My best guess is that they either don't want to distribute some assembler code they patched themselves, or that they used some code from a third party they are unable to distribute because of license restricitions; I'll give a deeper look at what is missing, so it will be clearer what the situation is.

IMHO it doesn't make sense to sign a NDA to get full access to kernel code (see this post), because we are given a patched kernel, so we should be given access to full source because of the GPL.

However if the only missing files are assembler sources, I'll try to disassemble and publish them, even if this is an exceptionally stupid waste of (my) time.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote