One to Ten 18 18.56%
Eleven to twenty-five 13 13.40%
Twenty-six to a hundred 31 31.96%
Over one hundred 35 36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
How many E-books have you read from your device(s)?

This is a 'Green' concern. I'm just looking for a bird's eye view.

Will the impact or E-readers be as strong as we wish it ? So far I'm not convinced. There are many variables such as Obsolescence, loss or destruction of device etc.

One thing is positive. If you bought an e-book you will want to read it if not have to read it.

For my part, in the five months or so that I've had the Sony in my hands, I've read 27 e-books, 4 of them not published to paper. In that same period I've read just as much on paper.

Note: This is basically my first portable reading device, what I've read so far was on a portable computer. Please leave computers out of the equation.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think I've read 22 since January, some on the eBookwise 1150, some on the iLiad after I got it. I might have left some out in trying to remember them all, so we could round up to 25. I read three books online just before that, which I'm pretty sure I would have read on a reader if I'd had one yet.

I'm not at all sure how many I've read in paper during that time. Probably a comparable number, and if you include magazines, I'm sure it has been at least as much paper. Some books were from the library, however, and they might need to be counted somewhat differently.

I still prefer to read magazines on paper, even those I have access to in electronic format (like Make). Most of the magazines I get have a lot of "how-to" content and the resolution of the pictures is important. But I'd have read all of the books on the reader if they'd been available.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
OK, some (a bunch) were pulp but I counted them anyway. Although not a speed reader I can knock 2 of them off in an afternoon/evening. So for 8 months that puts my average per month around 14 plus the now-and-then pbook.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've not been keeping track of my reading. All I know so far is I'm not rading as much as I have been. I want to get back to reading more. I plan on doing so now that the weather is nice. I'll take my reader or paper book with me outdoors and have a good read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I couldn't really say for sure, 'cause I haven't been specifically keeping count, but I know that if anything, I've been reading more since I got it.

I can say that I haven't read a paper book since sometime in October, but I look for Harry Potter 7 to break that streak (yes, I know it will probably be 'available' somewhere by the next morning, but I plan to read it -- at least in part -- during that time!).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been reading more novels on my PDA than in print*, by about a ratio of 5-1. On the other hand, my novel reading is down overall because of time constraints, and because I also read magazines and graphic novels, of which I have only a good print option for those.

I hold out hope that color magazines, comics, graphic novels, etc, will be made for readers eventually. As long as storage can be transferred from one device to another, I don't see why readers can't be major in the future.

*I'm assuming that you are not including PDAs in your exclusion of computers above. If I misunderstood... never mind.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-20-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
I've had my eBookwise 18 months, and have read 98 novels, 10 anthologies, 8 collections, and some 200 separate shorter works. (I keep a list, obviously.) I read on the eBookwise almost exclusively, and have read only a half dozen books on paper since I've had it.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
I have read 6 or 7 but I have only had my reader for a couple of months. I have not bought any paper books since getting the reader but I have finish a couple that I had bought previously. I plan on making the reader the main source of reading whenever possible.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #9
stxopher
Nameless Being

From the 1150 before it got passed to a weekly road warrior I really couldn't say. Let's be technical and estimate "lots".

I can be precise about the numbers for the ereader used currently since once something is read it goes into the "read" folders. From November to now, I've read 415 items. Wow! I must be amazing!

sigh. I wish. To be honest, only about 100 of those would really be classified as books. The rest would be the standard short stories, novellas, and various small ebooks.

One thing that has increased has been the number of technical papers and articles read. It's nice to be able to read a quick white paper or a report at leisure without having to boot up a computer or haul around printouts until you are ready to read them. It's like always having the interesting article you were reading at hand instead of being buried under a bigger pile of papers. (Great heavens! Is there anything that screams out "nerd" more than finding technical and scientific white papers as interesting as popular mainstream sellers?)

Now if you will excuse me, I have 10 minutes before I need to head out for dinner and find that will be just enough time to read about the current state of converting plant sugars into usable commercial plastics. (Yes, I AM serious about it. Like I said: nerd.)
Old 06-21-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
5 months.
5 books.
Paper is forgotten.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
got mine for about a year. Read about 20 books and lots and lots of other stuff i would have printed otherwise.

I love it and dont want to ever part from it again
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
To be honest, only about 100 of those would really be classified as books. The rest would be the standard short stories, novellas, and various small ebooks.

One thing that has increased has been the number of technical papers and articles read. It's nice to be able to read a quick white paper or a report at leisure without having to boot up a computer or haul around printouts until you are ready to read them. It's like always having the interesting article you were reading at hand instead of being buried under a bigger pile of papers. (Great heavens! Is there anything that screams out "nerd" more than finding technical and scientific white papers as interesting as popular mainstream sellers?)

Now if you will excuse me, I have 10 minutes before I need to head out for dinner and find that will be just enough time to read about the current state of converting plant sugars into usable commercial plastics. (Yes, I AM serious about it. Like I said: nerd.)
Hey! Anything that saves paper counts! Especially if it's text that hasn't been printed.

Don't underestimate the interest of converting sugars to plastics! When at some point in the future it is asked of us to quit our addiction to oil, processes like those will be priceless; if we want this society to survive.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #13
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
Does anyone else have my problem. I need about 3 more readers. Prior to getting my reader, I would have 3 or 4 books on the go. Usually a SF at my chair in the family room, some type of short reading in the WC, Technical stuff in the office, and usually a mystery in the bedroom. Where ever I happen to be I just reached down for the book and picked up where I left off. Now I have to remember to bring the reader with me. I also find that I am only reading one book at a time because changing between books is a bit of a pain.

Not only has the reader changed the reading source but also how I read. This is an interesting but unexpected side effect to a great device. Change every where change!
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Does anyone else have my problem. I need about 3 more readers. Prior to getting my reader, I would have 3 or 4 books on the go. Usually a SF at my chair in the family room, some type of short reading in the WC, Technical stuff in the office, and usually a mystery in the bedroom. Where ever I happen to be I just reached down for the book and picked up where I left off. Now I have to remember to bring the reader with me. I also find that I am only reading one book at a time because changing between books is a bit of a pain.

Not only has the reader changed the reading source but also how I read. This is an interesting but unexpected side effect to a great device. Change every where change!
That's one of the reasons why I have books on the Nano. And I never leave the Nano because there's no Jazz on local stations.

If you had a smart phone you'd never be stranded!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
I also find that I am only reading one book at a time because changing between books is a bit of a pain.
We've got a handy Tip & Trick for dealing with that (item 2 in the first post). Actually, I've since realized that once I've used the trick once, simply single clicking the Menu button will take me back faster than holding down the Mark button ... until I access a different menu, anyway.

I can't help you with remembering to take your Reader along, though, I still haven't figured out how to forget to do so.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote