Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
deschiff
deschiff began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook mini
Tips on Bulk Edit Metadata

Hi all;
I've loaded the contents of the Project Gutenberg 042010-DVD, over 30,000 files, into a Calibre Library. Now I have PG#'s in the title column. I want to keep the PG ID's in a custom column and get the title and author from the text or html. Any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
deschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Build your custom column, use search & replace to get everything from the title column into your custom column. Done.

Edit: I ought to elaborate, I think. Use regular expression search mode, title field as source, your custom column as target. Search pattern is
Code:
(.*)
replacement pattern is
Code:
\1

Last edited by Manichean; 10-14-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
deschiff

Thanks Manichean !
That worked like a charm! I was trying to do it with out regular expressions so I didn't see the extra field to have an output other than the source field.

If anyone can advise me as to the best scripting language to learn so I get the title and author from the txt and html files I would appreciate it greatly.
Are sed and grep the best way or should I invest the time to learn python?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't know much about scripting languages, but I'm currently learning Python. It's a great language for non- timecritical tasks, I think. If you know a way to do it in a shell script, I'd suggest using that, unless you really want to learn a script language.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you feel up to it, you might consider perl. Text matching and regular expressions are integral to the language, making it good for text hacking.

Python has the advantage of being like 'normal' languages such as C or Java, bug with some nice string manipulation thrown in. It wouldn't be my first choice for hacking text, but it isn't a bad choice by any means. Python also has the advantage of being able to use calibre's libraries, so you could directly set the fields in the database. That by itself could make it the best choice around.

sed/grep/awk/etc can work too, if you can work out the patterns and chaining. This option would be best if the title & author information is easy to locate (standard bracketing text). You probably would need to generate a mess of calibre command line scripts as output, but that is also true for perl.

Have fun.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
deschiff

Thank for fast replies.
Looks like it will be worth my time to learn python, I saw perl extension libs for python if worse comes worst.

Thanks again.
Dave.

Tags
bulk edit metadata, library management, metadata import, tips & tricks