Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #16
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I've also liked Steven Gould's Jumper very much. What can you recommend me in this vein?
Steven Gould wrote a few other books _Wildside_ (very much in the same line as _Jumper; postulate a technology/ability and then fully explore what that would mean in the protagonist's interaction with society) and _Blind Waves_ and _Helm_ which I also liked, and in which tech plays a central role, but not quite in the same push-the-envelope way as the other two.

You might like Robert Sawyer--I thought his _Farseer_ books in particular were excellent (trilogy of intelligent dinosaurs discovering various sciences), though I like his other books too.

A bit more of a reach would be Sherri S. Tepper--her books focus on the ramifications of different social arrangements; some of the social engineering she posits is...startling... but I always enjoy her books.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
Yirabeth
Yirabeth began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
Seconding anything by Robert A. Heinlein..I've read all his books, so many times I practically don't have to read them. They're like old friends I come home to..

One I am particularly fond of, in addition to Friday is Glory Road. Oh, and The Door Into Summer.

~Yira
Yirabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 AM   #18
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarrunner71 View Post
If you like the Twilight series, then may the original Bram Stoker's Dracula? I'm reading it now and it's free over at Amazon and Gutenberg.
I have also enjoyed twilight and also got the audio format in several chapters. I was very good audio book as well and it was quite fun reading it then at the same time listening to the audio book. Anyone tried it?
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #19
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirabeth View Post
Seconding anything by Robert A. Heinlein..I've read all his books, so many times I practically don't have to read them. They're like old friends I come home to..

One I am particularly fond of, in addition to Friday is Glory Road. Oh, and The Door Into Summer.

~Yira
glory road was Eh to me
i tried to read friday and stopped, i plan to try again later.

the door into summer i loved though, as well as anything in the Lazurus Long or Future History series. I loved him tying together all my favorite characters in the end of his career into several books. i read almost all his books in one year. ill probably finish this by year

Heinlien, Haldeman, Scalzi (new author who i love), Orson scott card.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Well, I posted this in another thread about sf with romance, but it seems relevant here:

Heinlein's Future History might be up your alley, but you may find the romances... unconventional.

Still, the biggest issue in tackling this series is where to start, and what to include? Here are my recommendations:

Methuselah's Children (1958)
Orphans of the Sky (1963)
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (1966)
The Rolling Stones (1952)
The Past Through Tomorrow (1967)
Time Enough for Love (1973)
The Number of the Beast (1980)
The Cat Who Walks Through Walls (1985)
To Sail Beyond the Sunset (1987)

Methuselah's Children is where it really starts. Orphans of the Sky can be skipped; it tells a related story without much romance that might not interest you. The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress is great, and there's some romance in it that you'll see set the pattern for Heinlein's later work, but it's also a side-story. The Rolling Stones is a juvenile that has little romance and can be skipped, but does provide some future history from one of the characters fron The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. The Past Through Tomorrow is a collection of short-stories, some with more romance than others. It can also be skipped, but provides some good background material over a long timeline.

Time Enough For Love is where the Lazarus Long arc really gets going, but it's something of a tedious read. The Number of the Beast also suffers from poor writing in places and is not primarily about Lazarus but eventually he shows up. The last two books are Heinlein's best, and are worth reading even if you've not read the other books. But I'd start with Methuselah's or Moon first.

Still, while there is an underlying man-woman relationship in almost all of Heinlein's stories, they may not be your idea of romance. Typically they involve an Ubermensch man who rather abruptly hooks up with nearly-as-capable woman and they live happily ever after despite many good-natured discussions and disagreements, while together overcoming whatever the obstacles are in the story.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #21
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
It is a 4 book series, but the "last" book The Martians contains a bunch of stories from the whole timeline.
Didn't realize there was a companion piece, thanks!
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote