Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #136
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
A pedantic point... . files and directories are not hidden from programs; a program can choose not to display them to users (for instance the ls command hides them unless the user has requested to see them).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #137
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
A pedantic point... . files and directories are not hidden from programs; a program can choose not to display them to users (for instance the ls command hides them unless the user has requested to see them).
That part of the file structure is not available to programs, unless the program calls the specific address. Yes, if you tell the list command to include All it will do so. The point is that Nickel will not see the files in the "hidden" folder and not try to process them.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #138
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
KEN... NO.... There is NO SUCH THING AS A HIDDEN FILE. The File System APIs RETURN all files / directories regardless of their names. Nickel has DECIDED NOT to process files in directories that start with a period.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #139
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Ah, but so many programs do as Nickel does.

This might help. For all practical purposes they are "hidden"

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:46 AM   #140
BrickedBoy
BrickedBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Last night I tried to do a hard reset of my KoboGlo and it was stuck on a screen with an hourglass so I tried to restart it but it is not broken, it has remained a blank screen.
I think some startup file is lost.
Can someone send me a link with the image of the micro sd?
thanks
BrickedBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 AM   #141
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM Sent
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #142
Captp
Captp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Sorry wrong post
Captp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #143
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Just had to share...I'm upgrading my Glo now! Found a great deal on a like new Glo (white/pink--easier to see where the seam is). It arrived today, as did my 16gb SD card. After trying a variety of plastic tools I finally got the case apart! Writing the image now. So excited! I love to fiddle and hack. I wouldn't dare try it on my Aura HD, but a $40 Glo, yes.

ETA all done, and patched, I'm so excited! By the way, this Glo had a 4gb card inside.

Only 1 issue...the power slider doesn't seem to do anything, now. Oh well....I can wake/sleep it with my case.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-07-2014 at 06:47 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #144
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Just had to share...I'm upgrading my Glo now! Found a great deal on a like new Glo (white/pink--easier to see where the seam is). It arrived today, as did my 16gb SD card. After trying a variety of plastic tools I finally got the case apart! Writing the image now. So excited! I love to fiddle and hack. I wouldn't dare try it on my Aura HD, but a $40 Glo, yes.

ETA all done, and patched, I'm so excited! By the way, this Glo had a 4gb card inside.

Only 1 issue...the power slider doesn't seem to do anything, now. Oh well....I can wake/sleep it with my case.
Thanks for the feed back

I have that issue on occasion with mine. I find that if I press/squeeze the back/front together at that point where the switch is, it will make it re-engage. I also find that if I push the switch down into the kobo I find the switch will re-engage as well. If you're adventurous, you can open it a second time and see where the actual switch engages with the switch on the motherboard, as the white plastic switch is NOT physically attached to the switch on the mother board, but more engages with it when you slide it left. I have opened mine 3 times now with no further ill-effect; Once to do the hack, once to take all the photos linked to in my second post, and once to test out the 32 gig internal micro sd card I had comparing them speed wise to the other SD cards I own.
Gergith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #145
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
Thanks for the feed back

I have that issue on occasion with mine. I find that if I press/squeeze the back/front together at that point where the switch is, it will make it re-engage. I also find that if I push the switch down into the kobo I find the switch will re-engage as well.
I tried that, and it worked, then it powered off. Oops! I'll just rely on the cover. But at least it's an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
If you're adventurous, you can open it a second time and see where the actual switch engages with the switch on the motherboard, as the white plastic switch is NOT physically attached to the switch on the mother board, but more engages with it when you slide it left.
That is good to know, thanks. Not sure I will open it again. But if I ever upgrade my other Glo, I will take more care when I am putting it back together.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #146
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

So I decided to open up my other Kobo Glo. I was extremely careful. It had a 2gb card in it. All I had on hand was a 32 gb card. After some trial and error, I finally got the image written and the partition expanded. (I had first tried a class 10 card, and Partition Wizard said it was a bad disk. So I then tried a class 4 card, with success). Reinserted the card and carefully closed it up. Once again, the power slider does not seem to work at all. I am not bothered by this, just mentioning it as a warning to others. The sacrifice was worth it, to me, to have another Kobo with a huge internal memory. In my experience, writing to an external card is a LOT slower than writing to an internal card. I prefer a larger internal memory.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #147
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Just for the record: replacing the internal card with 64GB micro SD (SanDisk Ultra) works fine in Kobo Aura HD, but now my Kobo Aura HD has no touch-screen function at all --- i.e. on replacing the top "bezel" thing I got into the same problem as a year ago (when I successfully upgraded to 32GB), but now it seems the chances of making it work are even narrower --- a year ago I lost just a bit of the screen and by persistently removing and re-attaching the top cover (for about 5-6 hours) I managed to make it work. Now the whole screen is unresponsive (except when I press some part of the perimeter, then some parts of the screen are responsive).

Any ideas? Tomorrow I am going to buy another Aura HD --- the question on my mind is whether I should do the same to it as well (and lose another 130 GBP) or should I just stick with 4GB + 32GB external configuration... I'll sleep on it
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #148
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
Any ideas? Tomorrow I am going to buy another Aura HD --- the question on my mind is whether I should do the same to it as well (and lose another 130 GBP) or should I just stick with 4GB + 32GB external configuration... I'll sleep on it
I wouldn't risk it on such an expensive device. Just use the ext card. 40 gb is plenty!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:20 AM   #149
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

At the end, the best (i.e. safest) way to upgrade Kobo Aura HD internal memory to 64GB is "from behind", i.e. by cutting away (using a soldering gun) a small rectangle which opens access to the microsd card, see the pictures below:

http://www.bibles.org.uk/screenshots...anced-pic1.jpg

http://www.bibles.org.uk/screenshots...anced-pic2.jpg

Also, I found a position at the top edge (about the middle thereof) where a slight pressure re-enables the entire screen's touch sensitivity (i.e. probably realigns those shiny plastic bits). Sadly, while experimenting to find this area I accidentally pushed at the top of the screen too hard and damaged the top part (about 1cm worth), so the reader is now unusable. But the technology of the upgrade is now proven, so I am going to collect my newly ordered Kobo AuraHD in two hours and perform the upgrade on it in this manner.

Let me emphasize (for those who didn't read my previous posts) that the loss of IR functionality occurred because of the removal of the front plastic stuff which INEVITABLY disturbs the IR guiding bezels. So, by cutting a "window" in the back cover one avoids the need to remove the front bit altogether --- so it should be perfectly safe. One just has to be careful when holding the soldering gun not to touch the motherboard and solder/unsolder some things on it as well Also, I did it with some short bursts and 5-minute intervals to let the area cool down, i.e. not overheat too much as the soldering gun has 600^C temperature and I have no idea what is the "maximum safe temperature" for the device...

And the presence of the "window" in the device is irrelevant, because it is always held in the protective cover anyway. So the cover closes this hole tightly and no dust can get into it.

Unless someone tells me of some obvious FAULT with this process, I'll do this on a newly bought Aura HD as well, because it didn't seem to make any damage to the old Aura HD.

Last edited by tigran; 11-29-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:42 AM   #150
tigran
Zealot

Btw, does anyone know if the image contains any info about the device's serial number? I.e. can I boot an image prepared for one AuraHD on a different (but identical model) Aura HD? I am asking because I want to run the firmware 3.8.0 but the latest is already 3.11.0, so if I let the new device do all that registration etc then it will download and install 3.11.0. Is there any way to avoid installing the latest firmware? (I can't remember if it was possible to cancel out of it somehow...)

UPDATE: I think it was possible to downgrade, i.e. I should be able to go back to 3.8.0 manually AFTER auto-upgrading to 3.11.0... I'll verify it on the broken device now.

Last edited by tigran; 11-29-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard