Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
eBook Formatting in General

Curiosity questions...

When I purchase a book from Amazon and the formatting is bad, I report it to them, they correct it and I re-download it (usually rather quickly).

My questions are:

- I don't see (or notice 'cuz I'm in my own little Kindle world) people with other eBook readers complaining about bad formatting (other than public domain books, self published books and ePub). Do other book formats have the same issues as the Kindle formatted books? Are you having issues with typos, bad justification and other weird glitches.

- If you do have issues, who are you contacting for corrections (Sony?, the publisher?...)?

- Is bad formatting rampant no matter the file format?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I buy most of mine through Fictionwise. No problems so far, and in fact, they are actually very well formatted. Have you bought from them?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most of the eBooks I purchase, I convert to LRF, so if there is any bad formatting, I do clean it up. As for typos, I guess I've just been lucky with the eBooks I've been reading or the typos have not been all that noticeable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I buy most of mine through Fictionwise. No problems so far, and in fact, they are actually very well formatted. Have you bought from them?
I have purchased from Fisctionwise twice. Once buy accident (don't ask) and once last week. There was a magazine with Stephen King short story that was not available in a Kindle version that I purchased.

One of the reasons I went with the Kindle was the lower book prices, so I'll only purchase outside of Amazon when there are items not available for the Kindle.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The classic complaints about the Sony bookstore provided books are:
  • Type too small
  • Type too large
  • Too much white space around the text
  • Poor/unviewable pictures
In all cases that I have heard about the response from the Sony Store has been to refund the purchase price. I have not heard of Sony reformatting their books to correct the identified problems. Sony seems to use a third party to prepare their books for distribution.

Fictionwise uses calibre for preparing their Sony format books and I have never had a formatting problem with their books. (There was a case where one book was not what it was labeled to be. I emailed them and received a note back within 12 hours saying that the problem had been corrected and to download the book again.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
While I don't own a Sony I have also heard quite a few complaints about their classics being ridden with errors. So much so that many folks that had the special dollar discounts for classics claim they would rather get them here.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
When I had my Sony 500, I bought Alex Ross' "The Rest is Noise" from the Sony Bookstore, which was so poorly formatted I would have returned it if there was any way of doing so, so I think formatting problems are not peculiar to the Kindle.

But the Kindle's biggest formatting problem, it seems to me, is that it allows publishers to sabotage their own product by producing books that are Topaz-formatted. It not only sabotages the book, it sabotages the device, and why Amazon allows it is a mystery to me.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
When I had my Sony 500, I bought Alex Ross' "The Rest is Noise" from the Sony Bookstore, which was so poorly formatted I would have returned it if there was any way of doing so, so I think formatting problems are not peculiar to the Kindle.

But the Kindle's biggest formatting problem, it seems to me, is that it allows publishers to sabotage their own product by producing books that are Topaz-formatted. It not only sabotages the book, it sabotages the device, and why Amazon allows it is a mystery to me.

Jim
Topaz is designed for additional features that are not available in mobi. I suspect it is likely that it is or will become the preferred format for Amazon. How is this the biggest formatting problem?

Dale
Old 09-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've purchased several pretty bad ebooks. The one that has annoyed the most is Ian Stewart's Why Beauty is Truth - A History of Symmetry which is published by the Perseus Book Group and which I bought from Sony six months ago. Below is a screen capture of one page. I was so annoyed that I have yet to make it through the Preface. No, I haven't complained, yet (my bad). I did enjoy another ebook by Stewart and I posted at Sony a review which is quite favorable towards the work by Stewart but somewhat unfavorable regarding the ebook formatting (it had several minor problems which I thought I would warn potential buyers of and thought Sony and/or Perseus would take note, too). Sony apparently didn't like my negative comments so they only posted the positive portion of my review. Naturally, I was outraged and told them to post the entire unedited review or nothing and they chose the latter. Long story short: that's probably not the best way to report problems with ebook formatting, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	15973  
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Topaz is designed for additional features that are not available in mobi. I suspect it is likely that it is or will become the preferred format for Amazon. How is this the biggest formatting problem?

Dale
I seriously doubt that it will become the preferred format if readers have anything to say about it. Formatting a book in Topaz increases the size of the book ten-fold, slows down the page turns annoyingly, and produces an ugly looking page.

It's enough of a problem that the first thing that I look at when I'm thinking of purchasing a book from Amazon is the size of the download. If the details of that aren't available, I download a sample and check. A big tip-off is if the book is published by St. Martin's Press. They're the big users.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I seriously doubt that it will become the preferred format if readers have anything to say about it. Formatting a book in Topaz increases the size of the book ten-fold, slows down the page turns annoyingly, and produces an ugly looking page.

It's enough of a problem that the first thing that I look at when I'm thinking of purchasing a book from Amazon is the size of the download. If the details of that aren't available, I download a sample and check. A big tip-off is if the book is published by St. Martin's Press. They're the big users.

Jim
Interesting, I had not heard that before. Embedding a font will certainly make the file bigger but I would suspect for most eBooks it would or should not be necessary. I would suggest you send Amazon a message outlining the problems with the Topaz format, in particular emphasizing the performance issue. Perhaps there is something that they can do to fix it.

Dale
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Interesting, I had not heard that before. Embedding a font will certainly make the file bigger but I would suspect for most eBooks it would or should not be necessary. I would suggest you send Amazon a message outlining the problems with the Topaz format, in particular emphasizing the performance issue. Perhaps there is something that they can do to fix it.

Dale
Oh, they've heard about it. People have been complaining about it (myself included) for a long time.

There was a big rush of complaints after the Julia Spencer-Fleming give-away in June. After downloading the free book I ordered the other books in the series. The free book kept freezing my Kindle. I had Amazon remove them and refund my money on the other books because I couldn't deal with Topaz (I do have the free book as a pdf).

There's a thread about it here somewhere.

It seems to be hit and miss. The sample I downloaded for the thread about the Kindle's zoom feature worked fine but some others... not so good.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
A feature I would really like to see implemented on the Kindle is an error flag. If you spot an error in a book, you could just scroll to the line and select to report an error. Next time you connect, they could upload your error reports. If corrections are made they could replace your copy. It would be so simple and would improve the quality of their books with very little effort from the readers. They'd also receive better data. I would imagine may complaints are along the lines of, "The formatting was poor and there were many typos." I doubt most people bother to list all the locations of the errors in their books. Many probably don't bother to report them at all. With an error flag, they'd know the specific location and I bet a lot more people would take a few seconds to do that than would take a few minutes to write an email.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!