Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
timewyrm
timewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Glo
Glo help please!

Hi,

Some of my friends got together and decided to buy me a Kobo Glo as a thank you present. Along with this, they gave me a 32gb sd card full with books and comics. I turned on the Glo, and it updated itself, and then I inserted the sd card. The first thing I noticed is that the Glo seems to operate very slowly (most likely due to the number of books and comics etc). When I click on a book or comic, it seems to take almost 30+ seconds to load up any book I want to read. Is there a way to fix this ?

Secondly, on the Glo, all the files are all listed in one long list (which I've read is normal). Am I correct in assuming that the only way to set up shelves via a pc, is to copy all the media from the sd card, to my Calibre library and then edit the meta data, delete all the stuff from the sd card, and then upload all the media back onto the sd card (I've been reading the calibre shelf management thread) ? Is there any way to set up shelves via pc, without having to copy or delete files from the sd card (the are like 1600 books etc!)

I did asking my friends but none of them have a Kobo device.
timewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I think you're going to have to copy the files to the PC, import them into a Calibre database, edit the meta data in bulk to set up the shelves, and then transfer books back to the reader. I wouldn't go nuts and copy all that to the reader at once again as it may be slowing operations down. Chances are 32GB of entertainment is more than you'll need at a clip. I have an SDHC card, but haven't even bothered to use it. With over a hundred books on my reader, I've used only a small portion of the built in storage.

Frankly, it's probably a good idea to have your library stored elsewhere and maybe backed up on a PC.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think TechniSol is right. There isn't any practical way to put that number of books onto shelves except via calibre.

You might be able to get away with adding all the books to calibre, setting up the shelves and then connecting the device. At that point, calibre will try to match the books in the library to the books on the device. If it is successful, it will set the shelves. But, I don't know how accurate this will be. It should be better than 95%, but there will be some left over. Plus it will take a long time. I would expect several hours. If you do it, please tell me how long. And again, as TechniSol suggests, do it in smaller batches.

When you add the books to calibre, make sure you have the options set to read the metadata from the books. That is what the device uses, so that should help the accuracy of the matching.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
timewyrm
timewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovertimewyrm exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Thanks guys.

I've copied all the books across to my pc, and I'm going to add them to Calibre, edit the metadata, and then copy a shelf worth across at a time.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
timewyrm

One question: the sd card doesn't seem to be seated securely inside the Glo. Is it meant to click into place ? Mine doesn't. When I stick the sd card, it seems to stick out about 1mm or so. Also, is that black thing meant to stay in the sd slot ?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
timewyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
...Plus it will take a long time. I would expect several hours. If you do it, please tell me how long.
So far (in batches) 8.5GB in 3 hours (around 2100 books)
Old 03-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by timewyrm View Post
Hi,

Some of my friends got together and decided to buy me a Kobo Glo as a thank you present. Along with this, they gave me a 32gb sd card full with books and comics. I turned on the Glo, and it updated itself, and then I inserted the sd card. The first thing I noticed is that the Glo seems to operate very slowly (most likely due to the number of books and comics etc). When I click on a book or comic, it seems to take almost 30+ seconds to load up any book I want to read. Is there a way to fix this ?

Secondly, on the Glo, all the files are all listed in one long list (which I've read is normal). Am I correct in assuming that the only way to set up shelves via a pc, is to copy all the media from the sd card, to my Calibre library and then edit the meta data, delete all the stuff from the sd card, and then upload all the media back onto the sd card (I've been reading the calibre shelf management thread) ? Is there any way to set up shelves via pc, without having to copy or delete files from the sd card (the are like 1600 books etc!)

I did asking my friends but none of them have a Kobo device.
I have over 3000 books on my Kobo glo. I have no issues in opening them. How ever I do not have comics or pdf files on my glo of any kind so can not comment on the overall speed of handleing those types of book formats. I do notice that there is a delay in loading the shelf data when you go to the shelves but its a small delay and it does not take any time to open the books from there or from the library list. With a 32gb card you have the potential to put over 30,000 epubs on your device. I don't think you need to worry about removing books etc. As to editing the meta data that can be a big job but calibre will handle it nicely. I rather suspect your issue is the comic books, and bottom line its a book reader so its not built for speed. Speed is what you get with tablets and cell phones when you surf the web its not needed to turn pages and wait for you to read the text of the page before turning the page again. Its also built to use epub formats not so much for comics and pdfs.

Good luck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
One question: the sd card doesn't seem to be seated securely inside the Glo. Is it meant to click into place ? Mine doesn't. When I stick the sd card, it seems to stick out about 1mm or so. Also, is that black thing meant to stay in the sd slot ?
My uSD card sticks out the same ~1mm. What black thing is the next question that comes to mind. My Glo came with the microSD card slot empty until I inserted the uSD card.

I take it most of the comics are in CBR/CBZ format which are a RAR or ZIP archive with an image per page. Much larger than the average epub -- my daughter's manga CBZ files run about 35MB each compared to 350KB for the average epub in my collection.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Jack,

What you wrote is reassuring considering over 3,000 books on your reader. I was just taking a leap that it might be bogging things down if it has to scan the SDHC each time it gets booted. I forgot that it takes a bit longer to open PDFs and comics. Though, honestly, I cannot stand trying to read a comic on the ereader, and PDFs on the reader would be far from my first choice. I'll stick with my 10.1" tablet with a color LCD for both.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have seen SD card shaped plastic in SD card slots of portable devises I have bought but don't remember one in a new Kobo product. This plastic prevents insertion of SD card and easily inserting metal by tiny hands or accident that could cause short circuit damaging the device.

My Sony T1 has cover that keeps unwanted stuff out of SD card slot and covers SD card activity indicating blinking LED.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
timewyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What black thing is the next question that comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I have seen SD card shaped plastic in SD card slots of portable devises I have bought but don't remember one in a new Kobo product.

I thought it was something like that, but now that I've looked closely, it turns out it's just part of the frame (I had thought it was another sd card or sd card shaped plastic).
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Jack,

What you wrote is reassuring considering over 3,000 books on your reader. I was just taking a leap that it might be bogging things down if it has to scan the SDHC each time it gets booted. I forgot that it takes a bit longer to open PDFs and comics. Though, honestly, I cannot stand trying to read a comic on the ereader, and PDFs on the reader would be far from my first choice. I'll stick with my 10.1" tablet with a color LCD for both.
What bothers me most about the Kobo is that the main memory is really just a memory card read by internal card slot, so theoretically there should be no lag on reading books in the external card slot as it should be read at the same speed as the internal one. The only difference would be class of the internal card being better then the external card. That said we can really only make educated guesses as to why things are the way they are. And honestly some of the things that the Kobo people do seem to make some rather stupid choices for how things are done. It seems that sometimes they just miss the mark on common sense and at other times they hit the nail on the head.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
timewyrm

I've deleted all the comics off my Glo, but that hasn't helped. The problem only seems to occur when I try to access the Shelves.

If I click on "books", I get to the list in 6 seconds.

If I click on "shelves", it takes over 2 and a half minutes to even get to the list of shelves.

I was thinking about converting all my pdf files to epub, but, if the problem only seems to happen with the shelves, then maybe it has nothing to do with the pdfs ?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The time taken to get to the shelf list is dependent on how many shelves you have and the total number of books on them. What type of books you have doesn't matter with the different lists. How long the cover images take to be generated, might depend on the book type, but I haven't paid that much attention to it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
I've deleted all the comics off my Glo, but that hasn't helped. The problem only seems to occur when I try to access the Shelves.

If I click on "books", I get to the list in 6 seconds.

If I click on "shelves", it takes over 2 and a half minutes to even get to the list of shelves.

I was thinking about converting all my pdf files to epub, but, if the problem only seems to happen with the shelves, then maybe it has nothing to do with the pdfs ?

Convert 1 and see if it looks ok. I have found they look like crap when converted. But maybe I am missing something I don't know. But check one and see what you think

Good luck

Jack