Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Trouble Posting to Facebook from Kobo App

I've recently been having some trouble sharing Reading Life awards and which book I'm reading on Facebook via my Kobo app. When trying to do so I receive an error when the Facebook window pops up stating: "An error occurred. Please try again later."

I've had this happen in the past before but typically if I tried to post again right away or a couple of hours later it would work. Now for the past two weeks regardless of what I do it will not work. I've tried power cycling my Vox, doing a hard reset (holding the power 10 secs until the Vox resets), loging in and out of facebook on my Vox, and I've even tried deleting the Facebook for INQ Mobile setting under accounts & sync settings and recreating the account. I also tried checking for new firmware but I'm up to date there. Nothing seems to be working.

I don't want to do a factory reset and lose everything as I just spent the greater part of yesterday loading a bunch of new apps and 600 books. Is there anything else that can be done outside of a factory reset?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I know that the Vox is sold as having the Facebook integration as one of the perks, and that it should all work flawlessly out of the box. In this case though, is it really worth worrying about? Especially considering all the time you've spent setting it up, is the need to have all your Facebook contacts up to date on your reading statistics worth it?
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
renee0986
Enthusiast

It's not mandatory to have it working it would just be nice if it was. I just thought it strange that the Facebook feature for posting Reading Life Awards etc was working fine before (in the 3 + months I've had my Vox) and now all of a sudden it's not.

I wasn't sure if there may be some sort of quick fix of if anyone else is having the same issue. I tried a moment ago to post an award from Reading Life via my Andriod Phone App and that is no longer working as well. Seems odd that both my vox and my phone are having the same issue at the same time. Is it possible that this is something on Kobo's end and not mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
I know that the Vox is sold as having the Facebook integration as one of the perks, and that it should all work flawlessly out of the box. In this case though, is it really worth worrying about? Especially considering all the time you've spent setting it up, is the need to have all your Facebook contacts up to date on your reading statistics worth it?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
will test on mine later to see if it still works

could be on the facebook side, everything is fully changing over to the new timeline system (sure I read towards end of feb time)

have you changed over to the timeline version yet?

Kobo iOS apps have all changed over to using the timeline when posting, other Kobo apps haven't yet, although the Vox is going to get an update before end of Feb which might have this change

just guessing on these as been a cause, will try mine later today and let you know if it works (I am using the new timeline feature on facebook itself)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
renee0986
Enthusiast

Actually now that you mention it this could be a result of timeline. I only recently switched to timeline and if my memory serves me correct I never really had an issue with posting to Facebook before my switch. There was an odd instance when it wouldn't work, but typically if I tried immediately after the I received the error it would work.

Please do let me know if it's working for you. It would be interesting to know if anyone else is experiencing it. Also, thanks for the heads up about the update. I was wondering when there may be another one. Hopefully this update will correct the problem along with a few others.

Cheers!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Sorry to say but I tried posting an update to Facebook and it worked fine

the only other possible things I can think for you to try is remove the app from facebook, then try from kobo again and it should re add it
account settings, then apps and remove the kobo from here

also have a look under account settings and privacy, there is one on there for active sessions, check to make sure an old kobo connection isn't still active

these are both from the facebook end, not on the vox
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
renee0986
Enthusiast

I've done everything as you have instructed and even logged into Kobo.com to unlink and re-link my Facebook account there. However, nothing I have tried has corrected the issue on either my Vox or mobile andriod app. I suspect that since it is not working on either app there is some setting screwed up on my Facebook.

I've since done a Google search and have come across a couple of other individuals who have posed this question on getsatisfaction.com. A Kobo representative has responded there directing those individuals to contact kobo support. So (frustrated to no end and determined to get this working again without a factory reset) I have contacted kobo help via email. Hopefully they can be of some assistance.

Should they come up with an alternative to a factory reset I will post the details here in the event there is anyone else out there experiencing this error.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Their answer though seems to always be factory reset sadly. I wish you luck. All I got was that answer to the shop on the kobo never loading properly anymore. That is after saying to remove devices from a perfectly working wifi signal - which I know it is not.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

I'm having the same problem, for about the same length of time. Haven't switched to Timeline yet. Thinking I'll hold off on a reset for now. Curious to see what the cause is.
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
renee0986
Enthusiast

Below are the solutions they have responded with via email. I have not yet had time to try any of the solutions. However, I am hoping within the next week I will have time to try some of the least drastic solutions. I don't know that I am willing to go as far as doing a factory rest just to get facebook posting working again - I may holdout for the firmware upgrade (if it hasn't already arrived) before I go that far. I do like posting things to facebook but I'm not sure it's worth spending another day getting everything set up again.

Quote:
We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with the website and our applications. We appreciate your patience while we try to rectify these problems.
These troubleshooting steps progress from the least destructive to the most destructive. Once a step is successful, document the troubleshooting procedure and the result in the trouble ticket.
1. Check the date and time
Without the correct the date and time, your Kobo Vox cannot connect to Kobo to update your library, check for software updates, get books from the Kobo Store, and perform other important tasks. You may also have trouble with other apps that rely on the date and time.
To check the time:
? If you are on your Home screen, the time appears at the top right corner of the screen.
? Tap the Clock icon
To check the date:
? To see the date, you can pull down the notifications menu — touch the bar that shows the time and battery level, and then drag it to the bottom of the Home screen. The date will appear at the top left of the screen.
? Tap the Clock icon
If either is incorrect, set the date and time and then try Kobo again to see if this resolved your issue.
To set date and time
1. Tap the Menu icon (bottom center of the frame)
2. Tap Date & Time
3. Tap Set date
4. Set correct date
5. Tap Set
6. Tap Set time
7. Set correct time
8. Tap Set
9. Tap the Home icon (bottom right of the frame)

2. Restart your Kobo Vox
1. Press down the On/Off button until Tablet options appear
2. Tap Power off
3. Tap OK
4. Tap the On/Off button to restart your Kobo Vox

3. Force Stop the app
1. On the Home screen, tap the All Apps icon (bunch of little squares at the bottom of the screen)
2. Tap Settings
3. Tap Applications
4. Tap Manage applications
5. At the top of the screen, tap All
6. Scroll down until you find Kobo in the list of apps, and tap Kobo
7. Tap Force stop
8. Tap OK

4. Clear local data
Note: Clearing local data will delete some of your Kobo information, including:
? All annotations you've made in your books
? Bookmarks that haven't been updated with Kobo, and any bookmarks you've made in colour books and Internet Archive books
? Any books you imported into your library (that is, books that you did not buy from Kobo)
To clear local data:
1. On your Home screen, tap Library
2. Tap the Menu icon (bottom middle of the frame)
3. Tap Settings
4. Under Application, tap Clear Local Data
5. Tap Yes

5. Switch users
? Switching users signs you out of your Kobo account, and starts the Kobo Vox setup wizard again.
? Note: Signing out deletes the same Kobo information as if you cleared local data. This includes:
o All annotations you've made in your books
o Bookmarks that haven't been updated with Kobo, and any bookmarks you've made in colour books and Internet Archive books
o Any books you imported into your library (that is, books that you did not buy from Kobo)
To switch users:
1. From your Home screen, tap the Library icon (bottom of the screen)
2. Tap the Menu icon (bottom middle of the frame)
3. Tap Account
4. Tap Switch Users
5. The setup wizard will start and help you set up your Kobo Vox and sign into Kobo again

6. Clear data
? Clearing data is different from clearing local data. When you clear data, you sign out of the app and delete any app-related data, which returns the app to its original, new state.
To clear data:
1. On the Home screen, tap the All Apps icon (bunch of little squares at the bottom of the screen)
2. Tap Settings
3. Tap Applications
4. Tap Manage applications
5. At the top of the screen, tap All
6. Scroll down until you find Kobo in the list of apps, and tap Kobo
7. Tap Clear data
8. Tap OK
9. Tap the Home icon (bottom right of the frame)
10. Tap the Library icon to launch Kobo
11. The setup wizard will start and help you set up your Kobo Vox and sign into Kobo again
Old 02-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
renee0986
Enthusiast

So I've just tried all options I've posted above from the email Kobo Support has sent me...

None of them have worked. Just wanted to let anyone else know who is having this problem not to try these things. You will only lose all your books, awards, and other data from Kobo.

I've responded to them letting them know that it doesn't work. So we shall see what they come back with this time.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
renee0986
Enthusiast

Just got an email back from Tier 2 support at Kobo...

Quote:
We are sorry to hear that you are having problems with your new Kobo Vox. Please check you have the most recent update. To do this, please follow these steps:
Tap the HOME button
Tap the MENU button
Tap Settings
Select ABOUT KOBO EREADER
Select SYSTEM UPDATE

Please open the LIBRARY, tap the MENU button, select ACCOUNT and log out of Facebook. Then log back in and let us know how you get on.
I checked and there were no new updates for my Vox. However, following the second suggestion and just simply logging out of Facebook from the Kobo app worked. I'm not sure why this would work and completely clearing all account data the first time around wouldn't. But for those of you who are having the same trouble posting to Facebook it may be best to start with this solution before resorting to deleting all account data and in turn losing your books.

I have also done the same on my Andriod phone in my Kobo app and it has solved the problem there as well.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee0986 View Post

I checked and there were no new updates for my Vox. However, following the second suggestion and just simply logging out of Facebook from the Kobo app worked. I'm not sure why this would work and completely clearing all account data the first time around wouldn't. But for those of you who are having the same trouble posting to Facebook it may be best to start with this solution before resorting to deleting all account data and in turn losing your books.
I followed the steps to logout of FB from the Library screen and then login again, and this worked fine for me. Thanks for the help!
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote