Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Custom line spacing values for K3

I was describing this hack on my blog http://swiatczytnikow.pl/ukryta-funk...za-interlinie/ (it's in Polish) and I was a bit surprised it's not covered anywhere on Mobile Read.

K2 had 9 values of line spacing (1-9), which could be changed with the shortcut: ALT+SHIFT+<number>

K3 dropped the keyboard shortcut and left only 1-3 values in the Aa menu ("small" was 1 and "normal" was 3).

However it's possible to set bigger line spacing values in K3. Just edit the file: system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref and change the value: LINE_SPACING = 3 to whatever between 1 and 9.

Then unplug and restart the Kindle, just as it was in case of justification and margins hack, e.g. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99661

Here's how the text looks for the LINE_SPACING = 4 which I prefer:

PS. The hack does not work on Kindle DX (2.5.8) and it seems DX has no way to change line spacing (no keyboard shortcut as well)

Last edited by Vroo; 04-17-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Thanks, that is good to know about. Certainly once you have hacked smaller margins and therefore longer line lengths (I use '20' vs the default '40') a little more line spacing is probably appropriate.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
This is a really cool hack! I changed mine to 9 as the font I have right now--Georgia 2--has tight line spacing.

Thanks for sharing.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks, kindle3, line spacing, linespacing, text