Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Kindle Accessories: Which to buy

I have to admit: I've had my Kindle for a few years now, and have never really been into all the accessories. However since I've been following the discussion groups, I see people talking about them quite a bit. So, can anyone bring me up to speed on what are the best/most helpful accessories to buy? I find there are a lot of cases available out there, but it's hard to tell what works best. I've even heard about waterproof ones (for reading around the pool, boating, etc) and ones with lights around them for reading at night. Any other neat gadgets you've found? Please, spill the details!
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
The most popular accessories are a cover, a light, and a skin. Some people feel that a SquareTrade warranty is a must. A cover is a strongly advised if you take your Kindle out of the house.

I saw this same post over at Kindle Boards. The ladies over there will strongly encourage you to dump a bunch of money on a hand-tooled, hand-stained leather Oberon cover. Resist! You can get a perfectly good, functional, and attractive cover from M-Edge or several other companies.

I had a M-Edge Latitude Jacket in Red/Black for my K2i and I intend to get a new one for my K3 as soon as M-Edge makes them available. Nylon, padded, zippered, allows plenty of protection.

Popular lights include the M-Edge eLuminator2 which are specifically designed to work with certain M-Edge covers, and the Octovo Solis but I don't know if they have one yet to fit the K3. I've never seen the need for a light and don't have one.

Skins are also popular to customize your Kindle and one of the most popular companies is DecalGirl. With the K1 and K2 white Kindles they really give it a much better look. My K3 will be Graphite and I'm not planning on skinning it right away, although the skin I had on my K2 would look even better on the Graphite.

There are certainly lots and lots of choices for covers, a few good lights, and lots and lots of skins to choose from if you want.

Good luck!
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I saw this same post over at Kindle Boards. The ladies over there will strongly encourage you to dump a bunch of money on a hand-tooled, hand-stained leather Oberon cover. Resist!
Or not I did get an Oberon cover for my DXG, but I agree, you can get a perfecty functional cover for a lot less.

But the Oberons are sooo purty...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have Tuf Luv cover for my Sony, and plan to get one for my new Kindle, they are on the Inique web site now as pre orders
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
A Zagg InvisibleShield screen protector. They protect all my camera displays, PDAs, phones, netbooks, GPS screens ... and a case of some sort.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
SquareTrade's warranty is a better deal - three years' coverage for the same price that Amazon is offering. Amazon's standard one-year warranty appears to cover a battery failure, if I read it correctly.

But SquareTrade will replace the battery in years two and three. That info came from a telephone conversation I just had today with them.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the tips. One thing I' ve noticed is how expensive the covers can be. Can anyone tell me where to get a decent one for a decent price?
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
You can get a Mead zippered cover for an At-A-Glance day planner at Staples for $9.99. Take out the notepad and give it to someone. Slip the Kindle 3 into the pocket the notepad fits in. There's enough extra room to put in the charger and USB cable.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
The most popular accessories are a cover, a light, and a skin. Some people feel that a SquareTrade warranty is a must. A cover is a strongly advised if you take your Kindle out of the house.

I saw this same post over at Kindle Boards. The ladies over there will strongly encourage you to dump a bunch of money on a hand-tooled, hand-stained leather Oberon cover. Resist!

There are certainly lots and lots of choices for covers, a few good lights, and lots and lots of skins to choose from if you want.

Good luck!
I'm one of the ladies that couldn't resist. Lucky me. Ordered me an Oberon hand-tooled, hand-stained red cover 'Wild Roses'. Yes....beyond reason and I've got a perfectly good Amazoncover as well. I agree with you on the variety of choices in covers and the fact that some cover is necessary.
I bought a fold-out reading light; one part of it goes under the Kindle.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
I got a great sleeve from Rogue Theory (on Etsy). $20 shipped, fits like a glove, padded without adding much bulk.

Amazon cover for when I am out and about, for fewer less parts, and a Belkin light in the dark.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessories, kindle, purchase