Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #61
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
A Few More Button Options

Yes, I know what you're thinking - how could anyone want MORE configuration options for the buttons?

I find the fact that some options are ONLY available on the power button to be a little odd. Is there some reason why "list of last books read" and "lock the keyboard" should be mutually exclusive? Does the Pocketbook explode if you happen to have both features enabled at one time? So I would like to be able to assign these functions to other keys so they (and all the rest) can be available simultaneously.

In addition, even if we enhance the button configuration to allow us to place any action on any button, the fact of the matter is that there are just too many actions and not enough buttons. So inevitably some actions go "unmapped." But does that mean we shouldn't be able to use them?

For example, I don't currently have any key mapped to go into "link" mode. But when I encounter links in my html document, I still need that action. I was thinking that, from the "quick menu" in any book, you should have a choice that would present you with ALL the actions you could take. Yes, it's less convenient than a single click (or hold) on a button, but if they were at least available on the menu, then - even with extra key clicks - they can be activated (unlike now).
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #62
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzs View Post
I was thinking that, from the "quick menu" in any book, you should have a choice that would present you with ALL the actions you could take. Yes, it's less convenient than a single click (or hold) on a button, but if they were at least available on the menu, then - even with extra key clicks - they can be activated (unlike now).
I really like that idea, I think it's a excellent option to have.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #63
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton View Post
Imagine when studying you can draw your mindmaps from within the books and when studying go back from the mindmaps to the parts in the book where you originally made the mindmap. Would be really helpful when using the reader as device to study on.
Whats a mindmap?
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #64
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Whats a mindmap?
A mind map is a sort of brainstorming which comes from a single concept. Say you put a word in the middle of a paper: "Love". The concept "Love" suggests you different kinds of things: love towards your family, towards your friends, towards your spouse, towards your football team, and so on. Each of those concepts, "Family", "Friends", "Spouse", "Football Team", is connected to the central concept in a diagram form. And that's only the beginning.

Here you have an example of a mind map:

Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #65
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Is there some reason why "list of last books read" and "lock the keyboard" should be mutually exclusive? .
No.
And, as of 15.1, they aren't.
It added a third mode to the power button; press, long-press, and (new) double tap. Problem solved:
pres for last ten
double-tap for lock
long-press for power off

All done.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #66
bryanzs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No.
And, as of 15.1, they aren't.
It added a third mode to the power button; press, long-press, and (new) double tap. Problem solved:
pres for last ten
double-tap for lock
long-press for power off

All done.
That's good news. Now, we just need to have a new release that is ready for everyone to install...

But are these functions still restricted to being ONLY on the power button? Is there a reason these functions must ONLY be tied to the power button?

And please don't forget the 2nd half of the suggestions - it would be very useful to provide access to all the functions (even those that are not assigned to any key) via the menus.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #67
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
But are these functions still restricted to being ONLY on the power button?
Yes.
And, the double tap is very, VERY hard to execute.
I have tried PocketBook 302 and the double tap worked nice, but with my PocketBook I have to try several times before I get keyboard lock I have assigned to double click.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #68
icarine
icarine can extract oil from cheeseicarine can extract oil from cheeseicarine can extract oil from cheeseicarine can extract oil from cheeseicarine can extract oil from cheeseicarine can extract oil from cheeseicarine can extract oil from cheeseicarine can extract oil from cheese

Device: PB 360
+ Better note-taking features -- annotation and the ability to save notes in text form would be awesome.

+ I'd also like to suggest support for HTML metadata -- right now only the <title> tag seems to be supported. I'd like support for meta tags such as

<meta name="author" content="Terry Pratchett" />
<meta name="description" content="Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch had it all. But now he’s back in his own rough, tough past without even the clothes he was standing up in when the lightning struck…
" />

+ Ability to press a button while browsing files and see that book's description.

+ What bryanzs said - the ability to access more functions from the quick menu without needing to assign them to buttons
icarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #69
bryanzs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Yes.
And, the double tap is very, VERY hard to execute.
I have tried PocketBook 302 and the double tap worked nice, but with my PocketBook I have to try several times before I get keyboard lock I have assigned to double click.
I can just picture it now:
<click>
<list appears>Darn it!
<click>
<list appears>Grrr!
<click>...<etc>...
<cliiiiiick><powers off>
<sound of PB360 thrown against the wall>

Old 05-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #70
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
<shrug>
Took me three attempts to get used to the feel of mine.
I know all switches aren't created equal, so...

And yes, being able to asign all functions to all buttons would be great.
But in the meantime...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #71
thersites
Enthusiast
thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad & PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I second highlighting. Or the ability to bookmark a particular word on a page. That would help tons when you find errors in an ebook that you want to correct.

-Marcy
I vote for this as well for the same reason.
thersites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #72
logan
logan doesn't litterlogan doesn't litter

Device: pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Mostly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

The hardware allows it, so the cards *can* be formatted with pretty much any File system but it is not, as a rule, supported under the spec. And it does limit the portability of the card. <shrug>
You're right. And I've got no trouble by formating my SD cards. But pocketbooks can read FAT32 formated cards only. I guess they have not activate the support of others filesystems to have a kernel as light as possible.

But I've got trouble with FAT32 since I use gmap application which works with uge directory tree (> 50 000 files). FAT32 handle very bad this (really slow, several FS corruption).

That's why I'll be glad when PB will support another FS.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #73
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
I would like the ability to rotate PDF files independently of the screen rotation. Many of my PDF's are in landscape and it doesn't quite work out when I try to do the 2-column option on them.

If there's already a way to do this, I apologize. Thanks again for soliciting user feedback!
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #74
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Vote For New Dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Almost done. It will be in one of the next firmware updates (soon).
If you still need votes for it. I vote in favor.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #75
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Second Vote For Tutorials HOW TO USE...

Quote:
What I would like to see, was some more user-friendly documentation. You can find things here that you can't find in other places - or perhaps it only exist in Russian. Things like that. It's not easy to find out where to start looking and it's easy to miss information that might make a good device work much better for the user. The start-up guide that came with the device was so-so. A few more illustrations would make things clearer. When I downloaded a firmware upgrade, the link had 'TEST' in it, and I wondered whether I was actually downloading the right software, but I couldn't find anything else. In short, product support could be improved somewhat. I'm sure there's a lot of great information available, but it's not all easy to find

As a new 301 owner I find I need much more explanation of HOW TO... the various features. Let's call it a tutorial. I vote for that. I think that is roughly what the quote asked.
That's 2 votes.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote