Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Has anyone used the audio function on their Kindle?

I'm interested to know people's experience has been with the audio function with the Kindle. If I understand it right, the Kindle will read text out? Has anyone tried it? Is it good or does it sound like an old Speak & Spell?

I'm not looking to use it for reading out ebooks, but for the PDF documents I receive in my daily life. If it works well, this could come in handy on a couple levels for me. Somebody did tell me that it is unlikely that a Kindle will read out PDF files, but weren't a 100% certain. Anyone know for sure?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The text-to-speech feature is remarkably similar to Stephen Hawking's speech synthesizer, and the tinny, built-in speakers have very little volume. On the other hand, the Kindle is great for listening to audiobooks if you use a good set of headphones.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
I'm interested to know people's experience has been with the audio function with the Kindle. If I understand it right, the Kindle will read text out? Has anyone tried it? Is it good or does it sound like an old Speak & Spell?

I'm not looking to use it for reading out ebooks, but for the PDF documents I receive in my daily life. If it works well, this could come in handy on a couple levels for me. Somebody did tell me that it is unlikely that a Kindle will read out PDF files, but weren't a 100% certain. Anyone know for sure?
The Kindle does not read PDF files. You would have to convert the pdf to a .mobi file, either through Amazon or 3rd party software. If the pdf files are mostly text they should convert pretty well but if there are lots of images and tables, you'll have problems.

Here is a youtube video sample of how the TTS sounds. It's not too bad.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-17-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: fixed quote
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks...
Old 11-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Yes, I just got my Kindle and found that the TTS function works remarkable well. I've found myself listening and reading along makes it more enjoyable.

The volume is quite low, it works well in a quiet setting and works great with headphones.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
Simon Wood
Addict

Thanks a bunch...